“Cheap franchise sushi”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Don't go here because it's so cheap. You get what you pay for unfortunately rings true for Genki sushi. Took my family here right after leaving the airport because other reviews recommended it because of price. I'm not very picky and can do without fancy atmospere, but this was a little too spartan. On first view you think you're getting a deal when you look at the menu and the prices. Once your food arrives, in our case after a 20 min. wait, you see why the prices are so low. Portions are very small and you will leave hungry. We spent more time here ordering and waiting for our food than we did at the airport and the car rental counter.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

In Kanapali, the 'in' place for sushi is Sansei..its overpriced and not worth the wait. Genki is a small local sushi restaurant with the conveyor belt of dishes circling the middle of the table. No one seems to take dishes off the belt but order from the menu, and the food is delivered to you very quickly. I am a sushiholic, and Genki sushi was amazing. The Ahi- tuna was the freshest I have tasted anywhere in Maui. Color coded plates range from $2-$5, so it is really hard to spend too much on dinner. They are also in Kauaii. Great service.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were eating sushi inside of the hotel we stayed in, Janpeno in Hyatt Regency. I thought it was awesome but a little pricy so I wanted to try a local sushi place for a change. The place looked clean but we ordered to go. I was wondering if I had ordered enough food because the price was so low in comparison with any other sushi restaurants. I realized why when I opened the containers. There was a lot of rice and very little fish, the California rolls used imitation crab meat instead of fresh ones, (all Japanese restaurants I've been to in Hawaii used fresh crab meat) and big difference with the seaweed they used vs others.

If you are looking for bargain and don't care about eating too much rice, then you will like this place. But if know your sushi then go to elsewhere.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The udon noodle was a very small bowl with no protein. The chicken bowl, the chicken was cold and the rice was mushy. Nothing looked fresh or good on the belt. Everything had a strange sauce on it.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Its the place with the sushi boats. Got quality and good price. Not top end sushi but very good and good value too.