“Before the Lesson”
Review of Maui Surf Clinics

Maui Surf Clinics
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was decided, I was going to take a trip to Lahaina, Hawaii solely to learn how to surf. I chose Maui Surf Clinics after doing some online research and browsing. I used the company's website to set everything up and fill out the information requested of me to determine what the best instruction approach would be. I received a prompt response to my inquiry. For the next few weeks leading up to my departure I continued ask questions about surfing, equipment, etc. The person I was in contact with the whole time was very patient, helpful, and understanding. She had gone above and beyond to answer all my questions. She had even recommended specific workouts and swimming times specific to prepare me for my lessons. I have travelled from coast to coast and down to Mexico, and there are only a couple times have I experienced outstanding customer service like this. I ended up putting the trip off by 4 months, but I am planning on going to Maui Surf Clinics just because of this positive experience. Mahalo Maui Surf Clinic!

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"take pictures"
"whole family"

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I was very nervous to surf since I have never surfed before. I was put at ease from the beginning. We were first going to book a paddle board because I was a afraid I was not in enough shape to surf. But we were helped by Kat who stated that she loved to surf and paddle board but the paddle board is more work and not as fun. I asked her if she thought I could surf and she said yes. My friend and I booked a semi-private lesson. The day of our lesson we meet with our instructor Renten and he was amazing. We started on land with basic instruction. He told us how to be safe in the water. On the water he was so helpful and knew the right instructions to give. I was impressed because he was very knowledgeable about each wave and the movement of the ocean. I was so excited when I stood up and I was surfing!!! I actually stood up 3 times. The pictures that were taken were amazing and had great detail. The price, the people and the experience were top of the line. I will surf with Maui Surf Clinic again once my muscles recover.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I took a private lesson and it was fantastic. Billy is a great instructor. I have instructed adults in high performance driving on a race track for ~20 years, so I know when someone not only knows their stuff, but knows how to understand their student's learning needs. Billy was very positive and went over everything from safety to surfing basics to environmental awareness (protecting the marine environment while you are surfing). Billy must be a good instructor as I got up on my first try and kept on going from there. I'm a few days short of 50 years old, so this old dog learned some new tricks.

Maui Surf Clinics made it comfortable for my wife, providing a beach chair and tips on the best photo spots to catch my surfing (or wipeouts!).

Next time I'm back in Maui, I'll be signed up for follow up lessons. I loved every minute of it.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Took a two hour private lesson with Billy. Taught me the basics and the rules of the ocean, then took me out on the waves for another solid 2 hours. Billy definitely made me feel comfortable and was constantly giving me pointers. I never thought I'd successfully catch as many waves as I did! Another plus was the photographer who took some amazing pics. Highly recommended and worth the extra bit you pay over the other surf schools. Splurge on a private lesson and you won't have to wait in line when you're on the water.

See more reviews
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have two kids (7 and 9) and I was a little worried about taking them surfing for the first time ever. They wouldn't really pay attention to the instructor when we went kayaking, but Sharky and Billy did a fantastic job keeping them engaged so they could learn and practice everything before we headed out for real. This was, by far, the favorite activity for our whole family. We all got up by our second wave! We liked it so much we are going back for a clinic to further develop our skills so we can try it in Santa Cruz when we get home!