“Felt like a high school talent show”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Cirque Polynesia - CLOSED

Cirque Polynesia
More attraction details
Owner description: Cirque Polynesia is Hawaii’s one-and-only cirque show featuring modern-day performing arts ingeniously blending theatrical innovation and physical virtuosity. The 60-minute show features some of the world’s best cirque artists from Mongolia, Chile, Peru, Brazil, the West and East Coast and our beautiful State of Hawaii. Performances include everything from aerial acrobatics 33-feet above ground, spine-bending contortion, rhythmic dance routines, traditional Hawaiian chants to tests of balance and conditioning that push the human body to its limits. Cirque Polynesia is performed six nights a week at the outdoor Maui Moon Theatre only at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort & Spa. If you love Cirque Du Soleil and circuses, you will LOVE Cirque Polynesia!
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Felt like a high school talent show”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Here are the details: the "venue" is a fenced in tennis court. You'll sit on plastic chairs. I paid extra for "vip" seating in the first five rows. That was a huge waste since there were barely 5 rows of people in the audience (maybe 40 people total). Much of the show was cringe-inducing and amateurish. There were a few talented cast members who could perform, but the rest were frankly embarrassing. I was sorry we gave up an evening on Maui for this. I should have researched more thoroughly. Also, beware that if you valet park at the Hyatt, you'll wait forever for your car afterwards. We had an awesome Maui vacation in spite of this particular evening.

7 Thank teresab87

Philadelphia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The best show on Maui!”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I'd seen Cirque Polynesia in January 2010 and couldn't wait to return this year to see it again! The talented cast works as a team not only sharing their individual acrobatic talents, but many of them also sing or dance. Highlights of the show include a "wheel of death," incredible unicyclist, amazing surfer-dude balance act, male acrobat duo, quick-change artists, an array of beautiful dancers and hoop artists, and of course the Wallenda family tightrope and trapeze acts. All is done with the "Cirque" flair for talented musicians, dancers, unusual costumes & makeup, and humor! Really a fun-filled evening!

3 Thank Philip Evan J
Pennsylvania
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“It was so good last year had to go back and see it again !”
Reviewed February 1, 2011

We went to Cirque Polynesia last year and we did the dinner at Umalu . The evening was great. . So this year we did it again and again it was a wonderful eveing fron the food and service to the show. Every person in the show is so talented, it was as good if not better than last year. If we come back to Maui next year it will be on the top of our list.

2 Thank shaun0063
Victoria, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Save your money”
Reviewed January 22, 2011

Were do I start, the "New Moon Theatre", or its other title, the tennis court, with it cheap plastic chairs were extremely uncomfortable. And what does a Micheal Jackson look alike have to do with the supposed Polynesian theme? I am not sure if this is supposed to be an actual Cirque production and if so, they may want to reconsider allowing this show to carry the Cirque name. With the exception of two male acrobats and two female performers on the silks, the show reminded me of our daughters high school theatre group. I knew the show was going down hill fast when I recognized the magician(again Polynesian?) as the van driver who had driven us from the Hyatt hotel to the show. When I say from the hotel, I really mean down the block, nowhere near the front door and I can understand why the Hyatt would want to distance themselves from this show.

Visited January 2011
7 Thank Prncess
San Mateo, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Loved It!”
Reviewed December 2, 2010

My wife and I attended the Cirque Polynesia on our final Saturday evening of Thanksgiving week. In short, we loved it!

Performed in an open air theater, the show started with traditional Hawaiian and South Pacific dances and some hilarious audience participation (whoever thought doing the Hula was easy?). It evolved into a series of extremely difficult acts performed with ease and concentration by a cast of enthusiastic artists, incorporating amazing dance, acrobatics, magic, balancing, trapeze, and high-wire performances (we admit to holding our breath during the “cylinder and boards” balancing and the high-wire acts). All in all, it was a wonderful evening of non-stop, colorful, captivating fun!

Complementing the show were beautiful choreography, costumes, and a rapid fire musical score that perfectly caught every moment of the action, performed on drums/trumpet/electric guitar and Chinese violin/electric cello. The talented cellist/violinist performed lovely melodies while the colorful drummer was totally immersed in every moment with perfect timing, flair, facial expressions and spark that were almost as entertaining as the on-stage performances.

In short, it was a truly memorable evening. We look forward to revisiting them again!

4 Thank Cali4nia_Dreamers