“Amazing whale watching!!!”

Hawaii Ocean Rafting
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkeling and Whale Watching tours. Climb aboard our HI Tech Ocean Rafts and spend the day snorkeling the crystal clear waters surrounding the island of Lana’i. We encounter the Spinner Dolphins quite often on our excursions. We’ll spend time interacting with them as they frolic in the water. Continental breakfast, snack and cold drinks will be served throughout the day. Snorkel gear provided. This trip will be the highlight of your vacation. Departs daily from slip 8 Lahaina Harbor. Whale Watching tours from December through April from Maui Hawaii.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We had an amazing time on this adventure! Captain Justine and her crew Sammi were extremely knowledgeable and upbeat. You could tell they thoroughly loved their job and strived to make our trip enjoyable. We saw MANY whales, a double breach and a baby that breached at least 15-20 times for us. It has been my favorite experience here yet!! I cannot wait to bring our children next time to experience this.

1  Thank Des R

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had a wonderful time and the crew was very knowledgable! We saw several whales and I loved being able to see them from a perspective lower to the water.

1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed February 25, 2014

What a great trip. Capt. Jeff and Capt. Justine made for a great adventure. Went straight out and found whales even though being very rough seas. Very knowledgeable on all aspects of whales and their behavior. Liked the hydrophone to hear singing.
great trip

Reviewed February 24, 2014

I booked a half day snorkel and whale-watching trip for our family of 5 (plus grandparents) after doing quite a bit of research and emailing. I was confident I found the right charter and I was not disappointed!

There were 7 in our group and another 6 or so also on the raft but this was definitely an advantage! For me, safety of my family is priority #1 with and the smaller raft, fewer people, and attentiveness of Sean and Tom, it was clear we were in safe, expert hands.

We are novice snorkelers and our 6 yr old had never been snorkeling and our 11 yr old isn't that comfortable in the water. When we got to a spot off Lanai to snorkel, Sean helped our daughter learn to snorkel a bit and really watched out for her, all while assuring everyone else was doing well, too. Tom stayed on the boat and entertained our 11 yr old who didn't want to go in. I appreciated that Tom and Sean encouraged him but did not pressure him, and that Tom kept him quite happy with tales and jokes while the rest of us snorkeled. When my daughter came up from the water to the boat she started shivering a little, and Sean and Tom immediately placed her where it was warmest and made sure she warmed up. Nothing got past these guys and they really took care of everyone down to the smallest detail.

We were able to see an amazing reef and so many colorful fish, plus an eel which my oldest son loved (14 yrs old). Despite the range in years, abilities, and interest in our group (6 yrs to 67 years!), everyone was well-taken care of and happy. Quite the feat!

The weather turned a bit off Lanai so we headed back to Maui and saw so many whales along the way that we stopped several times to enjoy them. Just wow! At one point we were surrounded and everywhere we looked was whales whales whales. I managed to get a great tail shot before my waterproof camera decided the salt water from my snorkeling adventure wasn't in the agreement.

One more snorkel for a few of us who were a bit more comfortable in the water, and then we headed in.

I cannot recommend them enough. We will go back to Maui and we will book with them again, for sure.

2  Thank Mom23inOR
Reviewed February 24, 2014

After visiting the west side of Maui for 10 years to see the Humpback Whale, I have done a ton of whale watching. This was my first year traveling with this company and I have been very pleased. Some of the other companies have started to get to big and are charging $50 a trip even if you book at the booth with their "repeat customer discount". Hawaii Ocean Rafting was able to get the cost per trip down to under $35 after just one trip. I am usually out on the water at least 2 trips per day for my vacation and this savings had made the switch easy.

The captains are professional and respectful of the whales and the visitors. The personalized service that Captain Tom provides to each person on the boat is unparalleled on other boats. He is constantly checking with the passengers to make sure they are happy, can see the whales and have all their questions answers. Captain Lydia was also a great addition to the trip. She is so happy and excited about the whales that everyone on board was smiling and really understood how magical it was to have whales come close to the boat.

The naturalists are outstanding also. Sammy has a similar personality to Captain Lydia and was very easy to talk to and extremely knowledgable about the whales are surrounding environment. I even has a naturalist that had a Ph.D. in marine mammals. That does not happen on other boats.

I have found a new whale watch company to travel with and will never go back to the other companies that just want your money.