“Awesome crew, trip and value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 130 Tours in Lahaina
Seattle, WA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome crew, trip and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Our family of 4 boarded the Hula Girl right on the beach. The crew is simply stellar, as was the trip up to Honolua Bay, where we had great snorkeling, accompanied by dolphins on the way there and back to Ka'anapali. The trip is super well organized, and the crew super friendly, to kids and adult alike.
Our 5 yr old stayed on the boat during the snorkeling and dropped sunglasses to the bottom of the bay. We let Dive Instructor Matt know and he promptly went to retrieve them! Our 10 yr old made the return trip with the captain, who allowed him a great view of the entire boat deck, right from his chair.

Fresno
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Horribly Ran Business”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

We made a reservation three nights before we were leaving the island. We made our way down to the beach on the night that we had reserved to find out that there was no boat. We stood around for about thirty minutes while the other boats the Teralani and the Gemini sailed off. We finally called the Hula Girl company to see what was going on after a group of us waiting for the boat was formed. We soon found out that our sunset cruise was canceled because they couldn't confirm more then 12 people on the boat. This was our last night on the island and we were very disappointed to find out that we would not be going on a boat trip. They didn't even contact our hotel to inform them that our trip was canceled. So if you want to go on a sunset cruise for sure I would book it with the Teralani or the Gemini, two companies that always go out and are very reliable. If you decide to make a reservation on the Hula Girl make sure you have extra nights because the cancel their trips frequently. I would never recommend this company to anyone else. They are a very short sited company.

5 Thank qslvrbrdng
Huntington Beach,CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Hula Girl and the crew are outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

I researched many snorkeling excursions prior to our trip to Maui. On previous trips we went on trips out of Ma'alaea Harbor and were disappointed to find so many people on board as well as them bumping into us while we were snorkeling. The Hula Girl was nothing like this. We boarded on the beach in Ka'anapali and were greeted by an organized, friendly, and classy crew. The Hula Girl is less than a year old and it is beautiful! Our family were easily able to relax on the netted trampolines/cushions. The cruise took us to Honolua Bay where we spent the day snorkeling without the crowds at Molokini. Our lunches were wonderfully prepared by a chef. You do have to pay for your lunch but it is well worth it and inexpensive. We had an ahi sandwich and a tuna/brie melt. They both were delicious. Inka and Peter, the owners, were so hospitable and enjoyable to talk with. Believe it or not, we enjoyed the snorkeling cruise so much that we booked two sunset dinner cruises on the spot. They were terrific too--great dinner, guitarist, drinks, and a Maui sunset. What more could you ask for? I was hesitant to write this because I don't want it to be crowded when we go back next summer!

1 Thank OhanaHB
Sacramento, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Best Snorkling Trip Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

The Hula Girl is an amazing boat. The boat pulls right up on the beach in Kaanapali and the crew is extremely friendly and helpful. My husband and I decided to lay out on one of the mattresses atop the trampoline nets. We arrived at Honolua Bay after about an hour sail time. The water was very clear, nice temperature too! My husband and I ventured away from the area surrounding the boat and went quite a way out. We saw a few huge schools, tons of individual beautiful fish, several eels, a turtle, and the highlight: a purple octopus! After a few hours in the water we came in for lunch. I ordered the chicken ciabatta sandwich, my husband got the cheeseburger. Both were really good! We will definitely make this boat the one we choose each time we go out. We had gone out on Pride of Maui to snorkel at Molokini earlier in the week, but we had a much better time on Hula Girl!

1 Thank Wants2RetireInMaui
Cleveland, OH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing Boat, Amazing Crew/Owners... Amazing Experience!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2009

I had been researching a snorkel excursion for our family's (wife and two kids - 10 and 13) upcoming trip to Maui. I obviously came across several positive reviews for some of the more popular excursions: Trilogy, Four Winds, Gemini, etc. And then I came across a few reviews for Hula Girl. Hula Girl isn't as big as some of the others since their business model is somewhat different than the more popular excursions - they rely mainly on word-of-mouth and direct Internet sales. The others have agreements with the hotels and activity booths that earn significant commissions for their referrals. Fortunately I took a chance and booked an excursion with Hula Girl.

To begin with, the boat is absolutely stunning! From the instant you see the boat pull into shore to the moment you step foot on deck of this beast, you'll be immediately impressed. It was designed/built in California and then sailed over to Maui in late 2008 and started its operation around the November timeframe. The boat has every amenity imaginable: large, comfortable dining areas, air conditioning, full galley/kitchen area, large lounging area in the front of the boat (several padded benches and two large 'trampolines' complete with cushions and pillows), second floor VIP lounge, hot showers when exiting the water, gourmet food (and reasonable), large mens/ladies restrooms, large LCD TV, state-of-the-art sound system, etc.

Hula Girl is also a bit different in that the excursions do not include breakfast and lunch. But that was fine with us. Hula Girl was cheaper than most of the other excursions that include food/beverages. They provide an extensive menu of breakfast items, beverages (including wine, beer, and mixed drinks) and gourmet lunches with a fresh fish offering - all at a very reasonable price - especially on Maui. Heck, you can get a bottle of wine for $17! I seriously don't think they are making a profit (and if they do, it's minimal) on these items but are rather allowing the passengers to order/pay for what they want instead of a set menu for everyone like the others do. The chef on board is formerly the head chef of Chez Paul, the popular French restaurant in Lahaina. The food was absolutely incredible.

The owners, Peter and Inca, are incredible hosts (as is the rest of the small crew). They made us feel at home the moment we stepped foot on board. Throughout the trip, they were always mingling with the guests - sitting down and having informal conversations. While some of the other reviews I read talked about how the crew of other excursions would constantly give sales pitches to increase their revenue (pictures, videos, other services), not one was given by Peter. I really felt I had made new friends once I started talking with them.

As for the excursions itself, it was a single snorkel site (Honolua Bay). And this was preferred as far as I was concerned as it allowed us to spend about two hours on site either snorkeling, eating on board or sunning on the main deck. The site was very nice as it's a protected marine sanctuary. Lots of colorful reefs, fish and shallow waters. We then sailed out to sea (the winds were great) and returned back to Hula Grill/Leilani's by 3:00 (we started out a bit late and they made sure we got at least 5 hours worth of sailing/snorkeling - even though they had to get ready for their dining excursions later that afternoon.

In conclusion, I, along with my family, am extremely glad we chose Hula Girl for our snorkel excursion. I don't have one complaint about our experience. It was by far the highlight of our 9 day Maui vacation. Thanks again Peter, Inca, Alan and the rest of the crew!!!

2 Thank spiderdan10