“Sunset Sail”

Hula Girl Excursions
Ranked #23 of 137 Tours in Lahaina
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a fantastic time aboard the Hula Girl and were amazed by the great service from the crew. If you are visiting Maui, this is a "must do". The food was delicious and reasonably priced and the sailing, scenery and crew were outstanding. This was one of our favorite experiences while on vacation, and we would definitely do it again. Can't say enough about this trip!

Reviewed October 30, 2012

WOW!!!! The boat is awesome and the crew was actually interested in service. Three of us dove and the usual hassel of getting dressed was done for us! Sit on a step, put your fins on, and the divemaster put on our gear and even had the mask sprayed so it would not fog. The food was great. The captain was eager to answering questions, and the boat was amazing. It is only about 6 years old, so it was detailed perfectly; we motored out and sailed back. Overall, I could not have asked for anything better!! Thank you Hula Girl!!!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am compelled to write because I was surprised how this trip turned out for my wallet. The food is ala carte on this boat. I thought this was going to be really expensive in the end but dollar for dollar, it was actually cheaper because the food was fine dining! I've been on many excursions over the years and this was the best food by far. Chef Lucas is working his tail off for the guests. The cinnamon rolls they had for breakfast were the best I've ever had in my life and, like excursions, I've also had a lot of cinnamon rolls. The bottom line is you end up paying the same amount as other boats but the food is gourmet.
The boat is beautiful in every way. It has a retro look and they sell really cute hats on board. I get compliments every time I rock my hula girl baseball cap. The snorkeling is only one stop but that's ok. It's Honolua bay. The fish are beautiful there. The captain was a really nice guy patiently dealing everything captain has to deal with......like my never ending questions! A very fun trip.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We were recently on a sunset cruise.

Overall we found the entire booking process pretty easy. However, we had our hotel book the cruise for us. That being said, we talked with two different couples that expressed frustration being re-booked a few times with limited communication (e.g. called one hour before tour was scheduled to leave). So, this could be an issue to be mindful of.

Once we got there, overall the check-in process is decent. One thing to note is that you are not allowed to bring your shoes on board. So, they take them from you early on in the check in process. This could be better communicated.

Once everyone was there, the boat comes in and you board. It is worth noting you have to go into the water (usually up to your knees) to board the boat. So, make sure you don't wear jeans like some people did on our cruise and had some wet pants to deal with.

From there, the cruise overall is very nice. The staff are friendly. The food and drinks were good and very reasonably priced.

When the cruise comes to an end you have to close off your tabs. One thing to note is that a lot of people were confused if they had already paid or not (for the tour itself) and the staff themselves didn't seem to know.

Overall it was a great tour with many great sights. Try and get a spot up front when you board!

The only real issue we saw while we were there was that a couple that has a Service Dog was initially not allowed to board by the staff because the "owners" of the boat said this wasn't allowed. After many people complained about how unfair this was, and the owner of the dog actually calling the owner of the boat by phone, they were allowed. So, keep this in mind if you have disabilities.

2  Thank jeffsumm
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Being a little older, and having a wife who is not particularly interested in snorkeling, I was looking for a water experience that concentrated as much on the cruising as the snorkeling. In The Hula Girl we found the perfect combination. The boat is large and beautiful and though there were small craft warnings in the area the trip was smooth an comfortable all the way. The snorkeling was great in an area not overcrowded by other boats and overrun with people. The entire crew was amazing from the captain to the chef whose meal preparation was impeccable. It was truly one of the best meals we had during our two weeks in the islands. Though the boat holds more than twice as many people as we had on our trip they try to keep the numbers down to offer a more personal experience and room to move about freely.

I could not recommend this trip more highly which was seemed to be the feeling of all the passengers aboard some of whom had taken to trip numerous times. They may not have the most hype but the certainly have the best experience.