“Live like royalty for a few hours”

Hula Girl Excursions
Ranked #27 of 136 Tours in Lahaina
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I have been to Hawaii two previous times, but never had the opportunity to book a dinner cruise. Relied on info from other reviews on Trip Advisor and as usual, I was not disappointed. The catamarian was very luxurious as well as the food being as good as any four or five star restaurant. Only had 14 people total plus crew and the weather was fabulous. This was also recommended by the Westin where we stayed.

Reviewed April 26, 2011

We had a wonderful day trip aboard the Hula Girl. It was the highlight of our two-week vacation in Maui. I think we lucked out and the day we decided to do it, there were only 24 other passengers on board. I think that was the key to having such an enjoyable time.

Because it was our anniversary, we thought we would splurge and hire a nanny (Happy Kids) and go on an all day cruise. The owners and the staff were wonderful. They catered to every need. The two chefs they had on board made us a wonderful coconut crusted curry fish for lunch (you could have ordered anything off the menu) and then we split a raspberry cheesecake for dessert.

The snorkelling was good - not fantastic, but that can't be helped. Most of the time, we were hanging out on the nets and enjoying the view. We saw turtles, whales and dolphins. The fact that there wasn't a lot of people on board (which may have just been our luck) was the real key to the whole thing. It felt more like you were on board a friend's private yacht. When you book any excursion, I've learned to ask how many people are booked and then you can judge for yourself. Nothing worse then feeling like you are cattle being shuffled around, and that certainly was NOT the case with Hula Girl. Loved our trip!

Reviewed April 22, 2011

I've tried Alii Nui Catamaran in Maui 2 years ago and enjoyed it thoroughly, we did it 2 times on that vacation, this year we didn't realize it was a busy season and they were already booked up when we tried to reserve, so we tried Hula Girl which is supose to offer the same type of experience.

The boat was late to pick us up.
it was a nice clean boat, and it was nice that there weren't a ton of people on it, but the staff lacked the fun and friendliness of the Alii Nui or the many other boats my husband and i have been on over the years diving.
we paid the upgrade of $75 to scuba dive (as that was why we came on the boat, we wanted the nice afternoon but also a dive). we are padi certified.

they took us to a dive location that was terrible. regardless of whether you snorkeled or dove this location sucked. there was nothing to see, the dive guide seemed pleased that he was able to find a turtle, as that made it like the dive was okay. all the coral was dead at this location, and we saw hardly any fish.

the food cost extra, so we paid over $200 / person for this one tank crappy dive.
the boat ride back was torture, as the weather in this area that they took us to was terrible, very windy and cold, no sun. (i know you can't predict the weather) but the weather in the lahaina area was nice all day, and the area they took us to was not good.

we ordered a fruit plate which was expensive for the small assortment of fruits we got, and we had to order tea to keep us warm.

the staff basically ignored us the entire ride home, until they came around with the bills for people to pay, then they got friendly and attentive in the last 5 minutes.

this was not a good experience, and i would not recommend wasting your time or money on this.

5  Thank rkarroll
Reviewed April 15, 2011

My husband and I went on a snorkel cruise last week on the Hula Girl and it was a wonderful trip. The food is reasonable and actually really very good. Both my husband and I loved our meal, I ordered the macadamia nut chicken with pesto pasta and he had a chicken wrap. They always have a fresh fish special and the food is between 10 and 16 a plate. I will say the soda's were a bit expensive for what you got but the mixed drinks were very reasonable with top shelf liquor. We were very well taken care of, the the boat is amazing, so much room and they take such good care of it. If you want to save money, probably go with another excursion but if having better food, with more room is what you want I would book with Hula Girl.

Reviewed April 8, 2011

This was our second time on the Hula Girl. The first was in July 2009 when we did the Sunset Dinner Cruise with the sails up. This time we did the Sunset Whale Watch Cruise in March.
These are barefoot cruises and you meet them on the beach and leave your shoes in a locked box on the beach. It can be a little hairy getting on the boat from the surf. Just listen to the mates, move swiftly (wiki-wiki) and you'll get on OK.
The Hula Girl is the most gorgeous boat in Maui and the food is better than most on the island. Their chef is top notch, they have a full commercial galley and the prices are reasonable. $5 Mai Tai's were also good and half the cost as those at the hotels.
They start the cruise with everybody gathering around the front of the boat for a safety talk and explanation of the amenities on the boat.
After the talk I would suggest going straight up to the Fly Bridge as these are the best seats on the boat with a 360 degree view of the water and where Captain Peter will answer any of your technical and sightseeing questions.
I would also suggest that you order your dinner and eat it on the Fly Bridge tables. They will bring the food and drinks up to you as you relax, dine and enjoy the view.
We saw a half dozen whales and Captain Peter goes out of his way to get you close enough for some great camera shots.
For the Whale Watch Cruise they use the engines only so that they can maneuver the boat easily toward any whales. Also, since it gets dark earlier this time of year the cruise is not as long as the summer dinner cruises so hoisting the sails is probably not practical.
If you're looking for the a true sailing cruise then I would suggest the Sunset Dinner Cruises in season.
Again, this is a luxurious boat so if you're looking for a first class Catamaran Cruise then I would highly recommend the Hula Girl.
Mahalo Peter and Inca!