“Wonderful place to stay with kids!”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We had a two bedroom/two bath partial ocean view room. The room was beautiful with large glass doors that opened up onto a large balcony. We had breakfast and had room for three of us to do yoga on the balcony (which was a necessity for us after our adventures)! The staff was very nice and always helpful. The market has a great selection of items in a pinch but there is a more reasonably priced supermarket directly across the street. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank JulieS87
Write a ReviewReviews (3,287)

Reviewed June 8, 2014

My family and I (hubby and 3 children ages 26, 23 & 17) stayed at this resort from May 26 through June 2, 2014. We were celebrating our 8th year anniversary as well as our 17 year old son's high school graduation. Based on the reviews I had read from previous guest, along with other sites and the recommendation of our American Express travel agent we decided this would be the best resort for all our needs. Upon arrival, front desk staff were nice and polite and got us checked in immediately. We were directed to our room which was located in the Konea building Room 243, which was a short drive from the main building. We were very pleased with our room. We had a 2 BR/2 Bath oceanview suite with a pretty large balcony. The suite was equipped with Bosch kitchen appliances including a washer/dryer. Overall, we were all please with our suite until we noticed a few critters (roaches) in the kitchen area and bathroom. We were all disgusted by that, called the front desk and they informed us that roaches were an issue on the island. I was not happy with that response. Maintenance came up and placed sticky traps in the areas thinking that would work. Unfortunately, it didn't so in the middle of the night we were moved to room 643 which was much better. We did not see any critters from then on and was a tad more satisfied. Aside from the bug issue everything else was superb.
The resort is absolutely beautiful and the landscaping is immaculate. Each morning while my hubby and I sat on the balcony with our morning coffee we could see the grounds being taken care of by few of the employees. The pool area is very nice and clean with more than enough lounge chairs for its guest. we loved the fact that there were some secluded areas by the pool if you wanted to just get a way from small children playing in the water. We were impressed with the grills that were provided for the guest in the grill areas. We cooked out at least 4 times during our stay. The Jacuzzi was so relaxing with the water at the perfect temperature at all times. There is an onsite restaurant ( Dukes) and they served breakfast, lunch and dinner daily.
Now for the beach, absolutely beautiful clean clear water. It was a tad rocky in some areas so you may want to bring your swim shoes just in case. The best part was that there wasn't any seaweed I'm not a fan of yucky waters filled with seaweed. The beach was never crowed and no one harassing you to buy things like how it is on some of the other island. I would have preferred if they had more lounge chair and umbrellas in the beach area. Nevertheless, we all enjoyed the beach very much.
In terms of activities, there is so much to do on the island we didn't have enough time to do it all. The concierge desk can arrange all your activities. We booked the guided Hana Highway tour, and a Luau at the Hyatt Regency through the concierge desk and they are a "must to do" in my opinion. Other activities we booked on our own. Keep in mind that Maui is expensive so prepare yourself to dish out some $$$$ for just about everything especially groceries. I almost forgot to mention that it's a great idea to stock up at the Costco right by the airport before you leave for the resort. Great savings and they even sell alcohol. Overall, we all had a wonderful time and would definitely stay at this resort on our next trip.

Room Tip: Definitely oceanfront of oceanview on the higher floors gives you a much better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank bsw2006
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is a great family oriented resort with lovely accommodations. The rooms were spacious and furniture very comfortable. The kitchen was fully stocked making breakfast an easy task in the early morning prior to excursions. The layout in the bathroom was just a bit odd; but I really can't complain, we had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank AkSchubert
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We just returned after a 7 night stay at this amazing resort ! Our group included 9 people, 3 of which were kids ages 3, 7 and 12. Two 60 yr olds, and three in their 30's and 40's. We rented through owners not the resort and from what I have learned you will save money doing this unless you feel the need to have someone clean for you, which we did not. Our condos were Hokulani #933 rented by Harris Hawaii Realty ( Julie, super sweet ) and Hokulani #937 through Maui Resort Realty ( Adam Offerman , who is awesome !!). Both rooms were amazing ! H #933 is a studio but perfect for our daughter, her 12 and 18 yr old.It has the perfect oceanview ! Everything you see in pictures is exactly how these rooms look ! H# 937 is 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, oceanview, very little noise which sits in the corner of the building. This is where my husband and I stayed with our daughter, son in law and two grandsons. H#937 has a closet full of beach equipment ! There are 2 boogie boards, 4 beach chairs, and umbrella. There is also snorkel equipment, which we left, sand pails and buckets for the beach. The owners also provide a small ice chest to tote drinks to the beach. Now for the snorkelling ! We went to BlackRock 2 days and my family loved it but when they tried snorkelling right out front of the Honua Kai they said it was far superior to Blackrock ! They bought underwater cameras and took pictures at both places and they said the water was much clearer at Honua Kai and they saw bright pink fish and so many other colors,they even swam with a turtle ! So try it here first and see if you arent as impressed as they all were ! The pools are super nice ! The largest one is nearer Hokulani , as you move towards Konea Tower there is a water slide where kids seemed to spend most of their time ! The grounds are the most beautiful I have ever seen ! Plumeria everywhere, which I love ! My grandson met a local who was visiting from Molokai and he said this resort is the nicest he has ever seen in Hawaii, so that says alot !! The Gourmet shop downstairs is convenient but expensive. Times market down the street is expensive also. Your best bet is to go south to Lahaina Cannery Mall to the Safeway store, prices there are more like here on the mainland. While in Lahaina we spent time on Front street which is wonderful ! So many little shops from cheap to a little more upscale, everything anyone could want. Ate at Bubba Gumps which was fantastic and also at Captain Jacks, both very good. Aloha Mixed Plate is by the mall and its very good and near the ocean. We had the best family vacation ever and if I took a vote in my family , it would be 100 % unanimous to go back to Honua kai Resort ! You wont be sorry ! Also, those rewiews I have read where people complain about little petty things come from people most likely who arent happy anywhere they are , so be wary of these posters !! Mahalo Maui ! I miss you and hope to visit again one day and stay at this amazing resort !!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Debij2014
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We have stayed here 4 years. We love it and recommend Honua Kai to everyone (maybe a little too well though, because it is quite crowded these days! I am on here specifically to say we really appreciated Jeremy on the Beach Staff. He was so helpful and offered al kinds of great ideas for restaurants and drinks on the island. The fish Market was one. He also noticed my husband got burned pretty bad on his back and offered some aloe lotion to try. He went way above and beyond his duty. Thanks Jeremy!
The only other thing that was too bad ( and I heard others talking about it in the pool) was the smell of sewer through the air. Most days we couldn't open our lanai patio doors because the smell was so strong.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Islandlover30
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This is a really nice resort where they go out of their way to please you. We had a spectacular volcano view that was one of the less expensive rooms; but we got a double rainbow view upon arrival that set the tone for the rest of our stay. Although we had one of the less expensive rooms, it was still very nice with pocketing sliding glass doors, a spacious balcony, and a lot of amenities available within the resort. Their exercise room was very nice and had most of what I use when at home. The beds were comfortable and the kitchenette had everything we needed to eat and party. The pools were nice and they had pools for kids and pools for adults without kids. There was a really nice beach behind, and I saw people from the hotel enjoying some of the activities offered at the hotel. I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The volcano (or "resort") view rooms were the leats expensive, but were very nice. If yo u...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lexaqua
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our 37th anniversary. The resort grounds are beautiful, two pools with plenty of lounge chairs, ( towels provided). The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was perfect with once daily maid service. Be sure to eat at Duke's restaurant, overlooking the beautiful ocean.

Room Tip: We chose an ocean view studio room. It was perfect!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple