“Worked for our group, but...”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My extended family came for a week, July 11-18. We stayed in three units. I want to give it five stars. Spacious rooms, soundproof walls, nice arrangement of pools and hot tubs, convenient to have Duke's right there---breakfast was very good---, pleasant beach, etc... But... to be honest, we did have a few problems: one with a long check-in delay (they sent my pregnant daughter and husband an apology and a bottle of champagne---mistakes happen and I understand). But then their room had cockroaches, so they were moved the next morning and given a $200 credit. Not a great start to the vacation, but after that things went just fine.

A warning re the wind: it was somewhat windy all but one of the days, but that did not stop us from enjoying the beach and the pools at all. Until the last day, July 17. I had rented two umbrellas and four chairs and planned to spend the day there, reading a book, enjoying kids and granddaughter as they came and went. Out of nowhere mid morning a sand storm appeared, headed straight at us, a tornado-like column. It was frightening for a few seconds as we grabbed kids and the "tornado" passed right through our area and the area of three other umbrellas. Six of those heavy duty umbrellas all snapped, boogy boards and chairs flew in the air over our heads (terrifying), and towels, hats, and sand toys were flung at least twenty feet, up into the sand dune area and into the water. One fellow next to us had a cut on his leg, but there were no serious injuries, thank goodness. Needless to say, we got a refund of our $80 and some sympathy from the staff who told us that this was a very unusual thing. I hope that's true.

No spa on the property, but you can walk five minutes down the beachwalk to the Heavenly Spa at the Westin Villas and they give Honua Kai guests a discount. I had a wonderful massage there.

If I were the manager I would ask the staff to step up their game in terms of friendliness and "aloha" spirit. They weren't bad---they just didn't have the same level as those at other places we have stayed.

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom on the back side and did not notice traffic noise or smell that others have com...
3  Thank Nancy D

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Honua Kai July 12-19,2013. First, I must say that we travel often and I research our hotel/condos in depth before booking. My family are owners with Hilton Grand Vaction Club so we are accustom to 4-5 star condos on vacations. However, there are not any in Maui :( The Honua Kai was wonderful. I had read reviews and was concerned about the smell from the nearby treatment plant. However, I only smelled a faint momentary smell twice during the week lasting for a total of two minutes. In other words, this was not a concern. The beach out front is absolutely perfect for snorkeling. This means there is a reef about 7 feet out from shore, so bring your water shoes. I did not use my fins- water shoes were easier. Rooms were beautiful and exactly as noted on website. My only complaint, would be the dryer. It is "energy efficient", which I do not have a problem with but it constantly shut itself off and took forever to dry clothes ( 2-3 hrs and only if we stayed in room and kept turning it back on)
The location is perfect - about a 10 minute drive to Lahaina's Front Street, which is a great place to eat and shop directly on the sea wall. The old Banyon tree is there, as well as, Hard Rock, Ruth's Chris Steak House and Captain Jacks ( many other places to eat as well).
I would like to mention that there are two different sides ( 2 different day trips) of Haleakala National Park. One is the drive to the summit ( awesome sunrise) and the other are the hiking trails with waterfalls and bamboo forests ( about 8 miles past Hana). The two sides are not accessible through the middle and are entered on two different sides of the island. Not sure how we missed this. We just quickly changed our plans for the day and went with it.
This vacation involves a lot of driving, but the sights are worth it!
Also, the Safeway nearby is convenient, but pricey, even by Maui standards. Try the nearby Walgreens or stock up near airport at Walmart.

Room Tip: If you open the balcony doors for longer than a few seconds, the air will turn off. Just FYI, not a...
2  Thank Kimberly D
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I just want to thank Kyle who is the Manager at the Honual Kai. He was so helpful to my husband in helping to provide a wheelchair for him. Kyle is the nicest and most helpful in a tough situation. Thank you again Kyle for your quick response and unrelenting serviced. We really appreciate all of your efforts.

Room Tip: We had a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom suite. We had a partial ocean view and it was wonderful. There were...
2  Thank Barlfine
Reviewed July 17, 2013

This hotel is in a beautiful position on the coast just outside the main resort area of Kaanapali. The public areas are perfectly kept and clean and there are plenty of seating areas and beds by the pool. The little deli offers drinks and food items and we ate at Dukes restaurant four times and never had a bad meal. We had a large two bed, two bath suite on the 8th floor of the first block with fantastic views and every extra thing you could need in an apartment. The rooms were cleaned and items replenished daily and they were generous with things like dishwasher powder etc. But...the resort is very windy. A breeze is nice but this was blowing towels and t-shirts away windy sometimes. And although Kaanapli is walkable, it's a good 45 minute walk or a taxi ride if you don't have a car. And the reception staff could be incredibly rude (one in particular but I wont name her). There is always a queue and they seem to treat you as though you should have something better to do than bother them. Which actually you do, so you wouldn't be queuing there unless you needed something.

Room Tip: The ocean view is worth the extra.
2  Thank Kim T
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Rented thru VRBO a 2 bdrm suite on 3rd floor - excellent unit but only had one bathroom (albeit a HUGE bathroom). Great ammenities with on site restaurant, pools, excercise room and a great boardwalk that takes you right to the Kannapali resort area at Blackrock. Beach is good for adults but not for little kids (let them play in the pools) - larger waves and quick drop off. If you want kids beach just head down 2 minutes to the kaanapali resort beaches. Having full kitchen/condo facilities beats hotel room stays by a mile. Major grocery store is right behind Honua. We look forward to staying here again soon

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SkiAlberta
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I just concluded our 7 day stay at the Honua Kai in the Hokulani tower. The complex itself is very pretty and the picutres correctly reflect the look of the place; however, even with our lovely lanai, we were unable to really eat outside and spend much time since the winds were very strong and made it unpleasant. One evening we at Duke's which was good; however, again, sitting outside the winds made our meal unpleasant. I really did want to love this place since I haad spent a great deal of time researching this vacation and only read ALL the reviews after I had already booked. I have to honestly say my family and I would not stay here again. There is a smell from time to time of the waste dump and especially when you drive up to the resort. It wasn't overpowering but who wants to smell any unpleasant smells at all. Not what you would expect.

If none of the above is bothersome to you, then I will say that the condo itself was quite spacious and the lanai was lovely (if ony we could have spent more time out there). We did attempt to eat outside one night and it was quite comical as our napkins wanted to blow away, our wine glasses moved due to the winds, etc. You can imagine the rest.

We did enjoy our stay but would not recommend or stay here again. There are many other wonderful alternatives for the same price (which is expensive).

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were there with our kids on vacation at the end of May 2013 for a week to kick the summer off right, and boy did we enjoy our stay there! Beautiful facility. We stayed in the 2 bed-2 bath Suite with a huge living room, kitchen, dinning room, and another outdoors dinning balcony with Ocean views! Our stay was very comfortable and enjoyable.

Oh, very important: Amazing Coffee at the resort. Coffee shop is part of the small marketplace inside the resort. None of the crappy starbucks stuff. Homegrown coffee from farms less than a mile away and they take farm-to-table to the next level! Im a bit of a coffee snob, being from NorCal(Blue Bottle, Sightglass, Old Soul, Bloom etc) so my standards are very high. They definitely gone done met my expectations!

Rooms/Suites: Beautiful suites with very plush upscale decorations and furniture. We had a very comfortable stay there. Kids loved it. We loved it. The suite even had washer dryers so we could wash clothes. Great room service. Bathrooms were large and luxurious. No complaints whatsoever. I hear this is the THE newest resort in Maui and that was one of the main reasons why I booked this place. Glad I did. I would give it 5 stars!
Resort: Beautiful resort with a Duke's Restaurant on-site. We did dinner there and it was all amazing! The pools for kids were really nice and there were lots of activities for kids to do like Snooba(scuba'ing in the pools) etc. Poolside drinks and food can be ordered from Duke's. Loved the Lava Flow drinks! Plenty of towels using our towel cards. Beach is just at the end of the pools area. We did go to the beach a little bit but it was not great right in front of the resort. there was reef right off the beach about 4-5 feet into the water so definitely bring your water shoes if you want to be in the water. The snorkeling activities were great right in front of the resort. You can rent all the equipment from the hotel but we brought our own goggles and snorkeling equipment($10 from Walmart).
But if you want sandy beaches, I hear that they are a mile or so in either direction of our beach. We didn't get a chance to go to those beaches a little south towards Kaanapaali walking from our beach, but we did visit the Whaler's village in Kaanapaali and the beaches were awesome there! Just a 10 min walk. Sunsets are gorgeous and plenty of places both on the resort and on the beach to take selfies for facebook... so bring your puckered lips for that in the evenings :)
Location: Was very convenient. Just on the other side of the resort is a grocery store and shopping strip. We stocked up on breakfast stuff first day and made breakfast for kids and everyone every morning and had it out in the patio. The windows from the living room to patio completely open up so you have a great indoors-outdoors room with amazing views of the ocean in front!
Beautiful grounds all around the resort. Better than any other resort we saw while there, sparkling facilities. You wont feel, as the venerable snoop d-o-g-g says, any sense of iky ikky ikky... Very well kept.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!