Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Beachfront
  • Beachfront
3,334 results
All reviewskonea towerduke's restaurantaina marketgourmet marketbosch appliancesfull kitchensewage treatment plantocean viewthrough vrbokaanapali beach rentalsevery other daywasher and dryertimes marketquiet poolgrocery storehigh end appliancesunderground parking
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 24, 2013

If you're looking for a modern hotel with spacious rooms on Kaanapali Beach you won't regret staying at the Honua Kai! After spending a week there it was hard to leave.

After reading numerous reviews and researching places to stay on Maui I decided to book the Honua Kai for our week long visit to the island. I almost booked a hotel in Wailea and I'm very glad I opted for Kaanapali instead. We drove to Wailea during our stay and found it was much more crowded and the beach was considerably smaller compared to Kaanapali beach.

General Room Overview:
We stayed in the Konea tower (room 340) during my stay. The room was very spacious with a comfortable layout. The floor plan is an open design with the kitchen overlooking the dining table and living room.

The living room wall can be collapsed so the lanai / patio area essentially becomes part of the living room. This was a great feature that allows the breeze to flow through the entire room. There was a sliding screen that can be used to block out the bugs.

The kitchen is fully stocked with pots, pans, dishes, silverwear, knives and some appliances. It was VERY nice having a gourmet kitchen available throughout the stay.

We wen't to the Aina at the ground floor of the opposite tower (5min walk) to purchase snacks and groceries several times throughout our stay. There is also an organic market within a 5 minute drive north of the hotel. We ended up saving a lot of money on dining during our stay, and it was much more convenient to make a small meal or snack in the room while relaxing.

Bedroom:
The bed in our room was extremely comfortable, we slept very well during our stay. The bedroom also opens up to the patio area for easy access and fresh air.

The room had a flat screen TV and a small closet area with a safe.

Bathroom:

The bathroom was very large with a double vanity, full glass shower with tile base, and a separate bathtub. One minor design flaw is that the toilet is not in a separate area.

One advantage to the condo style of these units is that each room has it's own full sized water heater. The water pressure was extremely high and worked well for washing off sand and ocean salt.

The bathroom was stocked with Aveda bath products which were easy on our skin.

Hotel Grounds:
Overall the hotel grounds are beautifully landscaped. Personally I found the Konea tower grounds to be better than the other tower. The Konea has a very nice sitting area with a fire pit that the other tower did not have, either way you can easily walk between both towers.

We did not use the pools at all during our stay since we were busy with the ocean but the pools looked well kept and clean.

At night the hotel grounds are lit with gas torches that gave it a nice ambiance, it was very relaxing to take a stroll in the evenings.

There is a boardwalk that goes along the beach and connects to the other hotels in the area. We took several evening walks to view the sunset and watch the waves.

Tips:

1. There is some great snorkeling within walking distance of the Honua Kai. Walk south along the boardwalk until you reach the first Westin tower. There is really nice reefs to snorkel between the first and second Westin towers. (Quicksilver Molokini tour was amazing snorkeling if you want more)

2. You can rent snorkeling gear from Boss Frogs just a short drive from the hotel on Lower Honoapiilani Rd. The nicer dry tube sets rent for about $30 a week and came with fins and defogger.

3. You can buy fresh produce and organic products at the Farmers Market just north of the hotel (right next to Boss Frogs). They have a smooth bar, and hot food bar with soups too. Several Vegan items are available as well.

4. You'll find a bit of nightlife in downtown Lahaina (front street). There are several places to shop and grab a bite to eat.

5. Don't drive the road to Hana by yourself, we went on a tour with Hike Maui and had a great time and didn't have to stress about the one lane turns, etc. Saw lots of waterfalls, black sand beaches, bamboo forest. Ask for Kate to be your guide.

Room Tip: Partial ocean views are nice, the resort views look over the beautiful hotel grounds too.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank SamKCMO
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This property is located just a few mins up the road from Lahaina and on a nice stretch of beach. The hotel is fairly new and the property is nicely laid out. We rented through VRBO and stayed in a studio suite on the inner courtyard. We rented through VRBO 313456 which is owned by Joe and Rhonda Devane. This suite was perfect for the 2 of us. It was well equipped with, full kitchen and laundry. The unit faced out over the courtyard with a view of the ocean. The patios or lanai were amazing and equipped with glass doors which open up completely to give the suite an airy and open feel. I would definately recommend paying the extra cost to have a suite that faces the ocean. The Honua Kai has an onsite restaurant called Dukes which was a quality restaurant for those nights you dont feel like venturing out. The staff at Honua Kai were all very friendly and welcoming. I would definately return to the Honua Kai anytime I travel to Maui. First class accomodation all the way!

Room Tip: You must get a room facing the ocean or courtyard/ocean to get the full expierience of this resort.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul N
Reviewed May 21, 2013

After researching several locations on Maui, including rental homes, my husband, grown children and their partners including our two year old grandson decided the options at Honua Kai offered the ideal options for all of us. My husband and I opted to stay in a spacious one bedroom while our kids with our grandson selected a one bedroom and our other two (accompanied by our daughter-in-law and our youngest son's girlfriend) split a two bedroom, two bath overlooking the ocean. As they arrived first, they prepared us for the fact that while this was more like a condo than a hotel - it isn't grand in the way many hotels on the island are - but it was certainly sufficient for our needs, clean with ample pool and outdoor areas. There's a small cafe/market off the lobby with a grocery store and Walgreens nearby to stock the kitchens in the rooms, which were well-supplied with glasses, cups and utensils. Dukes was the only dining facility; I thought I'd read that more options were going to be available but that was the only option I saw and area dining appeared limited.

Our kids arrived at an excellent solution to the limited dining choices by arranging ahead of time for a very special way to celebrate Mother's Day and my husband's birthday by contracting with a private chef to serve dinner for us in the large two bedroom condo which was a highlight of our stay. The meal was expertly prepared by Hiram of Honu Cuisine, Personal Chef Service, and his assistant who spent over six hours attending to every detail of the 5+ course meal. Everything, from setting the table to cleaning up, was all taken care of by these two gentlemen and surpassed a 5 star restaurant experience in cuisine and overall enjoyment.

The slight drawbacks are: limited seating choices/availability on the beach, overall windiness (which I don't quite understand) in this particular area but it seemed to be more so there than any other region on the beach, towel cards one must always be mindful of keeping track of or risk being charged $50, and the dim lighting in the bathrooms.

This is a very family-centered facility and my son and daughter-in-law were able to rent a stroller as the one they'd taken on the plane sustained some damage. That said, I'm glad my husband and I arranged to spend some time at the end of the week on our own, as did our other son and
his wife who reported they were happy to spend some time away from kids. I didn't see an "adults only" pool so if you're a couple looking for some special time together without young children around, you may want to consider this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors obviously don't have as a good a view as those on the upper; also we found our studio on the 2nd floor had a "shared" type patio rather than a private one. It suited us fine but may be a factor for others. There are two separate buildings so be sure to make note you return to the correct facility.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sueRN
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great place to stay. We usually go to The Whaler closer to Black Rock but decided to hang out here. Great deal with KBM on VRBO. Stayed in Hokulani 610. Great views and there won't be any construction next door for quite some time.

We did the water slide and hot tubs. Ate at Duke's. The beach is great in front of the property. Though while we were there the islands were getting slammed with Southern swells.

Walking distance to Times market and the little market on site is great, if a bit pricey.

Overall a great experience. Don't think I would go here with just my wife and I but it was great with our in laws and brother in law.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We recently returned from a one week stay at the Honua Kai. Four of us stayed in a two-bedroom ocean-view condo. Loved the large patio, updated amenities and proximity to Dukes. And, the ocean view was even better than we expected!

The Hanua Kai is close to Whaler's Village and Lahaina so there's plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Also we enjoyed the beautiful beach and boardwalk.There were more children than I expected but it wasn't too bad.

My very minor complaints would be the heavy comforter on the bed. They were too heavy and hot for a tropical climate. When I inquired about obtaining a blanket at the front desk they said that they did not have any. I wish that hotels would move away from this trend as the comforters are not very functional in warm climates.

My other minor complaint is that when we booked a dinner cruise through the hotel we were not informed that you must wade through water to board the boat. Several in our group wore pants got a little soaked when boarding.

Room Tip: 405 was fantastic!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends