“Honua Kai unit 609 - Outstanding”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Mississauga, Canada
“Honua Kai unit 609 - Outstanding”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Great facility and very family friendly resort. We have stayed at many hotels in Maui and this would rank among the best that we have experienced. I was amazed at the resort like feel of the facility. The pools are heated so you can swim late into the evening and there are lots of beach activities available.

The condo we had was 2 bedrooms giving us enough space for our family of 5 and the balcony for our unit was spectacular allowing us to watch the wales in the ocean while having our morning coffee.

The concierge for the facility was excellent and helped us book several events along with providing us with dining options in the area.

Barb and Walt - the managers of the facility - were very helpful and made themselves available throughout our stay if we had any questions.

Room Tip: For this facility you want an ocean view. Other rooms are nice, however, the balcony will look out...
2 Thank Graham395

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
San Diego
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I had never been to Maui before. We took a lot of time trying to find a hotel that would meet all of ours needs during an 8 day stay. All I can say is WOW! LOVED this hotel. So much so that we are going back with our children this summer! Great staff, clean and very comfortable rooms, beautful views, clean beaches. The list goes on and on. It tends to be a little pricey but here I think you get more for your money than at other hotels. I hope this hotels high standards remain so we can come back year after year! Thank you!

Room Tip: I like the partial ocean view rooms with a high floor. You get the best of both worlds without payin...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank calbstmom
Irvine, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We absolutely loved this place! It is very family friendly, the grounds are beautiful, the rooms are nice and big and perfect for having kids along. The market has the best coffee and great food options. The restaurant Duke's is onsite and has great food. We would definitely recommend this spot to anyone traveling to Maui.

Room Tip: The H tower is the tower with the market and daily morning fish feedings for the kids.
2 Thank Anne Marie W
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort is great for families traveling together. We rented a 2 bedroom, two bath ocean view unit. We were in the Holukani tower. The rooms are very nicely furnished and decorated nicely. I loved the lanai our room had which opened up completely to the outdoors. If you plan to cook in your room, the kitchen is equipped with enough to make simple meals and there is a small market on site, or a grocery sore rig down the street. If you prefer to dine out, then Dukes restaurant is also on site and offers a good selection of food. Poolside drink and food service is also provided. The only negative points I have about our room, were the beds were too soft for my taste and the bathroom lighting was really dim. Maybe adding a lighted makeup mirror would be nice.

Room Tip: We were in the Holukani tower and it seemed to be closer to the pool and had the market store in it...
1 Thank ineedavacation
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Honua Kai in November of 2012 after not having been to Maui in 18 years. We are a family of four - two girls (aged 5 years and 2 years). We stayed for 8 nights in a "mountain-view" room - one bedroom plus hide-a-bed for the kids (and we were certainly pleased with our experience!). We were slightly on a budget so we chose the one bedroom mountain-view over the studio with partial ocean-view (both at about the same cost). Although it's nice to see the ocean with the ocean-view rooms, we had a peek-a-boo ocean-view from the balcony of our mountain-view. The room was great - nice and cool with loads of room. The finish was modern and the use of the kitchen was much appreciated for breakfast and lunches. My wife certainly appreciated the AVEDA beauty products that are complimentary. High quality and virtually toxin-free. The outside pools and access to the beach was fantastic! The pools are a series of meandering streams that are perfect for kids (and parents). There was even a small waterslide for the kids (and parents!). We thought that this resort was very child-friendly. Highly recommended! We will stay again this year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ChiroTrev
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Booked a 2-bedroom ocean view unit. The room was a little pricey but that was the last thing on my mind as I sat out on the spacious lanai, eating breakfast & watching the whales frolic off shore.

I have stayed at many resorts around Oahu and Maui and what really impressed me about Honua Kai was the quiet and privacy. We kept our bifold Nanawall doors wide open whenever we were in the room and let the waves lullaby us (and our baby) to sleep. There were lots of guests about but the feeling I got walking around the resort, was that I had the place all to myself!

The unit came with a full kitchen that would be the envy of my home and there is a supermarket within walking distance. Should you choose to (we did), you can save a few bucks and cook yourself. There is a dining table inside the unit and another on the balcony. Duke's restaurant in right downstairs if you want a great meal steps from the beach and pools.

...and speaking of pools, there is a nice lazy river that my baby loved as well as more conventional pools.

Would not hesitate to stay here again. By far my favorite resort in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms are like condos. Book a big one and bring the whole family! The ocean view is worth the upgr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mr_Domokun
El Dorado Hills
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My family and I just returned from staying at the Honua Kai Resort. It was an amazing 5 nights, which we didn't want to end. We booked the 3 bedroom condo, which came with the most amazing ocean view. Waking up to the Pacific Ocean from the 9th floor, while eating breakfast on the balcony, was so wonderful. I still miss it now, thinking about it. The rooms all come with king beds, which was fantastic. The kitchen was also gorgeous... granite counters, Viking appliances, even a wine chiller! The living room has a pull out sofa bed, which was perfect for my 5 year old son to sleep on. The resort itself is also wonderful... a beautiful pool, with a separate area for little ones... and also a water slide for everyone to enjoy. My cousin and I also took a pilates class one morning, which was fun. And the beautiful beach is just steps away from the hotel. Duke's Restaurant is on site, which was very convenient, if you're enjoying the pool. The resort was also very generous with its amenities. Upon arrival, you get a little gift box filled with dishwasher soap, laundry detergent, kitchen towels, sponge, etc. The spa wasn't ready yet, so we went next door to the Westin, to get our lomi lomi massages. You get a slight discount as well.

We've been home several days and my family and I are still talking about our amazing stay here. We really didn't want to leave and wish we could stay here forever. I almost forgot to mention that because it's whale season, we were able to spot whales from our balcony as well as from the beach. That was a nice treat for all of us, including the kids.

Thank you Honua Kai for a fabulous vacation. I'm already dreaming of our next stay here, the next time we're in Maui.

Room Tip: If you're traveling with other couples or families, try to book a 3 bedroom condo with the ocean...
3 Thank Lanialii