“Honda Kai”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at the resort as a family member was getting married at a local church.
1. Resort staff were friendly and accommodating
2.The 3 bedroom room was beautiful from the kitchen to the balcony
3.If you are someone who enjoys fitness and healthy living you will be in good company. You seen everything from yoga on the beach to people skipping on their balcony
4.it is very family orientated. Children everywhere.
5. It was pointed out to me very rudely at Dukes after a 3 plane ride full day of travel if you are here for a party you are at the wrong place as I was so excited to be there and my excitement was seen as me of being intoxicated. They were quite rude about it. I had just arrived and wanted some food and a drink at a restaurant what a bizarre concept.
6. The resort is quite expensive and so is everything in it.
7. Back to Dukes you are not allowed to bring your own licquor to the pool which is strange as this is a condo/timeshare resort. The girl from Dukes makes her rounds trying to sell their high priced licquor and food, could this be the reason.
Anyhow not my cup of tea. If not for the large group we went with I would not have enjoyed myself.

Room Tip: Pay out the nose
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MelindalovesJordan

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We reserved a studio but received a one bedroom that was with a good ocean view. Very nice kitchen, bathroom and balcony was huge. Overall one of the most comfortable rooms I have stayed in anywhere.

Avoid Hertz in the Mariott and have a good holiday!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Peter H
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We enjoyed the facilities, as the pool area had a lot of diversity for our children to play. The only disappointment was that the room internet connection was too slow and undependable to be of use. If you need to stay in touch with the office while on holiday, this may not be the place for you.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at the Honua Kai for 8 nights. Not sure what the "view" complaints are about. We had a "resort view" which had a partial ocean view. The place was clean, hosekeeping was good, staff was friendly and accomodating, and the place was vey nice.
The fold out bed was not too comfortable (per my daughter) but housekeeping was willing to put extra comforters on it which helped a lot.
Did not smell the treatment plant at the resort, but did once when we drove by. Not a big deal.

1  Thank David N
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We've stayed in several areas and units on Maui but now will return to this Resort. Unit 312 was perfect, beautiful and quiet sunrise and mountain view, larger 1 bedrm + Den, beach things, large deck, good location to elevator, exit and parking and extremely clean. All units have same deco but the added Den was nice to have. The rental agent went out of her way to accommodate us. The resort is perfect for families but we also found the quiet/adult pool was relaxing. Having a great restaurant with good happy hour on site was also a bonus!

Room Tip: 1 bdrm + Den units are limited but nice, added sq footage. Konea seemed to be a quieter bldg. W...
5  Thank sunless_n_seattle
Reviewed January 14, 2013

It was a little bumpy getting to our room when we first arrived late at night. We wandered around with suitcases and heavy eyelids through sprinklers for what seemed forever with poor directions given by the check-in staff. We were pretty annoyed. But...we finally made it to our room. We had the full kitchen and balcony overlooking the old coffee plantations. It wasn't the beach but it was still a lovely, quiet view with plenty of rainbows and birds. We liked it very much.
The staff had set up complimentary honeymoon champagne and Honua Kai glasses and strawberries for us. It was so nice. (I mentioned this was our Honeymoon to the staff when I booked)
The room itself was very clean and very modern. This is the newest hotel on Maui and it showed. Feather comforter, comfy bed, black out curtains, two flat screen TV's, ceiling fan in the room. Robes. It was great. No complaints. We got good sleep.
Grocery store was right across the street from the resort and we went nearly everyday to stock up. It was perfect.
We played DVDs in the room, but I don't think they had a blu-ray player and we made the mistake of renting a blu-ray and had to return it.
It was great to have a washer and dryer in our room! Gas stove, full fridge..We saved some money making our meals and doing our own laundry, for sure.
Soaking tub and bathroom was awesome and huge and modern and nice.
Pools were very cool. The layout of them managed privacy, but they were big enough and had enough chairs to accommodate - although sometimes it was hard to find the chairs you wanted ;)
They make their own natural sunscreen at the towel stand - I wished I had bought some. You definitely should if you go. It's not just a gimmick. They know what's best for skin.
We didn't realize it, but we stayed mostly at the family pool - we probably would have been happier at the more private "adult" pool at the other tower, but we liked it all the same.
The bar was nearby and we had plenty of good drinks and good service. We only had happy hour drinks and appetizers one night there. They were good. Not memorable, but no complaints.
Staff, in general, were very nice and accommodating. Again, no complaints.
The beach was OMG, spectacular. But hot. Lahaina is the hottest part of Maui because the mountains trap in the breezes. I think of all hotels on Lahaina, though, this is the coolest temperature place to be. Seek a tree with shade on the beach if you can.
I regret we didn't snorkel here, but saw plenty of people having fun doing so.
Beach was very private with pristine sand and super clear water. It does get rather rocky a few feet out, but it didn't bother us (because you could SEE where you were stepping!). I think it made it interesting to see the fishes (hence the good snorkeling). Waves were not too big and not too small. It was great to go to the beach at night and stare at all the stars or chill on a beach chair out on the lawns. The beach is still open at night which is nice.
Crime, I hear, is somewhat of a problem in the local area, but we felt very safe.
The little gym is good for what it is. I was impressed with their TV treadmills and free water.
I definitely recommend renting a car. Parking was sometimes tricky, but not too bad. I believe they charge daily hotel fees so check with the hotel before you book so you are aware. This is pretty normal for Maui, though.
WiFi was sufficient. We did have a blackout on cable one night - but this was throughout the Hawaiian islands apparently. Oh well, who needs TV?
We visited the nearby little town of Lahaina and did the touristy thing. It was quaint. I would avoid the Froyo shop there, however. I think this is where I got food poisoning - not fun.
We also stopped at the local farmer's market a little ways down the street. It was, meh, just OK. Probably better just to stick to the grocery store.
We booked our honeymoon a month before - it was all last minute. We had NO idea what to do once we got there. But the hotel concierge was great and booked up an awesome helicopter ride with Maui Air - they were great and gave us front row seats. Concierge also recommended a sunset cruise, and a luau dinner as "official" activities for us. His philosophy - do something involving the air, sea and land, which we did and loved, especially since this was our first trip to Hawaii.
The sunset cruise was really lovely, but maybe a little awkward for just two honeymooners who didn't know anyone. We also just missed the whale season, which would have been cool. (ends in April/beg. May). The luau he recommended for us was really spectacular. TONS of gourmet, exotic food featuring cuisines from all island influential cultures, with dances to match. It was so great. I was just sad I couldn't eat it all because I was too full.
Overall: We had a wonderful, very memorable honeymoon here in Maui. We would DEFINITELY come back to Maui and to this resort in particular! It was worth the extra loot. I did tons of research on other resorts - I'm glad I went with this one!

Room Tip: Don't spend more for an ocean view. The view of coffee plantations and resort was just as nice b...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is a great place. The resort is not to big so you don´t feel crowded and service is on a personal level. It has a great pool area and the beach in front of the hotel is brilliant. The rooms are very spacious, with large balconies, modern and clean. I absolutely look forward to returning here. Close by is the very nice little town of Lahaina where you have a good selections of restaurants and a very special charm.

5  Thank ehelgason
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!