“Very nice”

Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed at Honua mid November in a studio ground floor. The unit was very nice, comfortable with high end treatments, folding doors onto large deck area, beautiful kitchen, great bed, awesome shower, clean and comfortable. But, if you are looking for a quiet resort this isn't it. Lots of children and very noisy. We found our first few days without a car required taxis to get to anything of interest. Also our dryer didnt work properly, that was frustrating. All in all a very nice resort. But you would think as highend as it is, they would give you more than a couple days of free coffee, that's a bit cheesy.

Room Tip: If you can swing it get a suite on higher floors as the smaller units are tucked into the corners an...
There are newer reviews for Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was a first visit and I must admit that I had some reservations given the size of the property and the fact that it is a condo hotel. The positives - we loved our one bedroom suite - comfortable and new - but be careful, the bathroom floor when wet is very slippery and dangerous. The other considerations - the staff while helpful are far from 5 star trained and this condo hotel would not be my first choice for couples - it's not romantic, just big - great if you have kids and the grandparents along!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed in the studio unit at this resort and we LOVED it. The unit has a fabulous ocean view and condo itself was super comfortable, elegant and stylish. Having the kitchen in the unit made everything so easy. There’s a Safeway in Lahaina and a Costco near the airport, so you can easily pick stuff up as you make your way to the resort.

What make the kitchen so great was that sometimes we would pack ourselves sandwiches for hikes that are out of the way and thus no delis nearby. We loved having our breakfast and morning coffee out on the lanai watching the sun come up. We rented it thru VRBO and it was a great experience. Our unit had everything we would possible need, from all the necessary kitchen utensils, basic sandwich condiments, detergent for the in unit washer & dryer, to beach chairs, beach picnic basket, and beach toys.

The resort itself is wonderful with a great staff. There are a number of really nice stainless steel barbecues located on the resort and while we didn’t use them, we saw a number of families who did. Looked like they were having a great time. The resort gym is pretty great too. Various exercise classes are offered by resort for a small fee.

For those who enjoy walking, you can easily walk to the Whaler’s Village. It’s about a 45 minute walk. It’s worth it just to enjoy the views along the way. Keep in mind though, if you plan to go during sunset, remember to bring a flash light because there are certain sections along the path to the Whaler’s Village that aren’t illuminated at night and it’s pitch dark. Luckily we had our cell phones and used that.

We went during the off season, so the resort was fairly quiet, however I can see how this place can be very popular with families. If children running around bother you, then come here only during Maui’s off season.

2  Thank theoatybear
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I am finally getting around to writing this review after staying last year. This resort is AMAZING - we had such a great time and were very sorry to leave. The rooms are wonderful, we had a one bedroom suite facing the back (get ocean front if you can afford it). The resort is pristine with beautiful flowers boardering the pathways and pools, the suite was very spacious and immaculate. The bed was really comfortable.The pools are beautiful and we never had a problem finding a good spot to lounge. The resort was quite quiet when we stayed, there weren't too many other people there but it wasn't school holidays. Dukes bar is really fun, the food and drinks are great!
The staff were wonderful, very friendly and attentive. I stupidly cut my leg on coral in the ocean one day and the first aid guy from the resort was there in a second to help me.
There is a really convenient store in the resort with beer and snacks and everything you really need to leave the resort if you want to stay in one day.
I rarely go back to the same resort twice because I like to try new places, but I am definitely going back here next time we're in Maui. Only next time we're going to pay the extra for a ocean from room!

2  Thank Baxter2012
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just returned from a wonderful stay at Honua Kai. Not a single complaint! My kids were actually disappointed when we moved to the Grand Wailea for the latter half of our vacation. We found a great deal on the resort's website. Yes, the onsite market and Duke's were a bit pricey, but just about everything in Hawaii is. Almost changed our plans due to the sewer smell that others complained about. You might catch a whiff driving near the property, but not at all on the property itself.

Our room was kept very clean and items (other than coffee) were replenished daily. See Mesha if you want to plan an excursion. She did an amazing job scheduling us for a luau, snorkeling, surfing lessons, and ziplining. Every one of our guides or instructors were amazing and really made the experience for us. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank tmt1967
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife, son and I stayed in this with my father and his wife for 10 days this November. Barb and Walt were beyond gracious and helpful. As to the condoitself, suffice it to say it has probably ruined us from staying anywhere else.

We are occasional visitors to Maui, and have stayed an Honua Kai before. The grounds of the complex itself are wonderful, with a arrangement of pools, hot tubs and grounds that are without equal on Maui.

The condo, similarly, is without equal. The folding doors create a wonderful tropical living space within the common space of the condo. This is truly fantastic feature, as the weather in Hawaii is always so pleasant, it gives the option of being outside, even when you are inside. The lanai is spacious, comfortable to sit on and eat at, in fact all of our meals were taken outside. The view from the unit, and the Lanai (of the ocean and the island of Lana'i) are not to be missed.

The kitchen is beautifully equipped with high end appliances and a very useable layout (this isn't always the case in my experience). The master suite is substantially larger than the apartment I rented as a student, and as well appointed as you might find anywhere.

All in all, I recommend treating yourself to this haven of luxury in paradise, you will never regret it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Konea penthouse, rm 1019, which I highly recommend.
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I took my wife and 3 kids (10, 12, 15) along with my 66 year old parents for a family vacation. I would definitely stay at this resort again. We stayed in a 2 bedroom ocean view room and it was plenty big and quite nice. GREAT for families. There was so much to like, the staff was wonderful, they took our groceries up to our room and were happy to do so. The pool was great and the proximity to the ocean was perfect. The beach is not quite as nice as the southern part of Kaanapali as there are a few more rocks and a quicker drop off but still very nice and swim-able for kids. The room was big and clean. The only reason I gave a 4 instead of a 5 was the lack of dining options and the lack of a spa treatment facility. I think there are plans for these in the future though. One other thing I did like was the fact that i did not feel like the place was over crowded. Lots of times at a resort like this, I feel like I have to fight for chairs at the pool and that was not the case here at all. Tons of places for us to choose from even later in the morning / afternoon. I would HIGHLY recommend this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Honua Kai Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!