“How could I not???”

Ranked #2 of 23 Dessert in Lahaina
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: All Shave Ice is Not Created Equal... We specialize in and are passionate about serving the BEST shave ice! Now open for 5 years, we have rapidly become recognized as the top shave ice shop in Maui and one of the top 3 shave ice shops in ALL of Hawaii! We are known for the softest ice (comparable to Waiola's on Oahu), the best tasting flavors (we make 100% of our flavors using premium fruit purees, fresh fruits (when available), extracts, and concentrates from Hawaii and all across the United States), and warm friendly service with true ALOHA spirit! We specialize in our tropical fruit flavors. Our mango, coconut, pineapple, lilikoi (passion fruit), and guava taste like biting into the fresh fruit itself. From the filtered water to the premium gourmet Roselani's Ice Cream to the homemade mochi and azuki add-ons, we have thought through every detail of the shave ice to provide the BEST tasting shave ice possible! Get rid of any preconceived notions of what a shave ice or snow cone is like.....this takes shave ice beyond the highest level imaginable!
San Diego, California
“How could I not???”
Reviewed May 20, 2010

How could I not go to Tripadvisor's #1 restaurant...I do believe in the entire U.S.??? On the way home from another great hole-in-the-wall in Kihei (Coconut's Fish Cafe), we stopped in Lahaina to try one of Ululani's famous Hawaiian Shave Ice's. Now, I have tried shave ice twice - from other highly rated places - and was not impressed. Every flavor tasted the same...sickeningly sweet. Just like the snow cones I choked down as a kid. This was the day when I would find out if it was them or me.

Ululani's is a tiny walk-up joint tucked inside a small open air building housing a few other vendors hawking to tourists. While I was standing in line, I started reading an article posted on the wall. Ululani's is the first shave ice maker they have ever felt was worthy enough to review. All of their syrups are made from scratch WITHOUT corn syrup (yeah for cane sugar!)...they even witnessed actual fruit pulp gracing the perfectly shaved ice. (I'm starting to get a little excited - and very hopeful - at this point.) When I finally got close enough to read the menu I became decision impaired...the Haleakala (coconut with cream & fresh shredded coconut), Sunset Beach (passion orange, guava & mango), or their new combo with the Hawaiian name that completely escapes me (passion fruit, pineapple & guava)??? I had one minute to make my final decision...the most stressful moment of my entire vacation!

When I got to the counter, I asked the guy if he knew that they were Tripadvisor's #1 rated restaurant in Lahaina. Mr. "U" proceeded to kindly put me in my place...did I know they were #1 in the ENTIRE U.S. (out of more than 293,000 restaurants)? Holy crap...little did I know that I was standing at an alter! (Life Lesson #1 - It doesn't matter what you do or where you do it, it just matters that you master what it is that you do.) Both Mr. "U" and his assistant chatted it up with everyone like they were all old friends...true aloha spirit.

Under pressure, I made my decision...it was to be the new nameless combo mostly because Mr. "U" said the passion fruit was tarter than the mango...I'm a tart-aholic. I'm glad I ordered the very large small size for $4.00...even though the large was only $1.00 more. A large would have put me over the edge. (Lesson #2 - Divine food does not have to be expensive.) Mr. "U" and assistant stopped what they were doing to watch me take my first bite. I was starting to sweat...what the heck was I going to do with my face if I didn't like it? They were way too nice to insult. The spoon entered my mouth...which broke into a huge smile. Oh yeah...Ululani's has created a masterpiece. It wasn't me after all...MAHALO ULULANI'S!

1 Thank WanderingEXHousewife

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Santa Monica, California
“Well worth the drive up from Kihei”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

Small little stand that you could miss if you didn't walk back into the open air shopping area. Staff was very friendly and the shave ice was tops on the island.

Seattle
“AWESOME”
Reviewed May 6, 2010

You must visit Ululani's if you are on Maui. It was our favorite dessert during our trip - we event went back one last time on our way to the airport. The vanilla shave ice tasted just like homemade vanilla ice cream. With so many flavors to choose from, everyone can have their own masterpiece. We have family living in Vancouver, Washington and plan to visit that location, too!

Ohio
“We went back for more!”
Reviewed May 2, 2010

We visited Lahaina over a year ago (March 2009) and are still talking about the awesome Hawaiian Shave Ice we got at Ululani's. The service was the friendly and the selection was huge! We went back a few days later for some more and our family even went when they were in Lahaina last month. Ululani's is a must for everyone!

Pasadena, California
“Best Shaved Ice - Super Friendly Service”
Reviewed April 30, 2010

Just got back from Maui - we stumbled upon Ululani's Shaved Ice on Front Street in Lahaina. What can I say? Wow! We went there four days in a row trying different flavors. A must try