Tripadvisor

More Info
from $181.62
More Info
1,906 results
All reviews private lesson group lesson instructor josh great instructor these guys riding waves learn how professional photographer paddle boarding two hours learning how great pictures awesome experience first timers a lot of fun super fun highlight of our trip
Selected filters
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I went with my friend and co-worker surfing for the first time, and was extremely scared. However, we had THE best instructor (KEA) who made it a comfortable, fantastic experience and I ended up getting up on the board every time. I would go back just to take lessons again from Kea, but overall great value for the experience.

1  Thank dudley42
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Just had a great surf lesson with Benny Martin. My wife had never surfed before and was a little nervous and I hadn't surfed much before. He put us both completely at ease and by the end if the lesson we had surfed loads of waves. Got some great pictures too

1  Thank RussellJackson
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Just got back from Maui and I want to go back already. I booked a private surfing lesson for our last day on Maui and it was one of the best days during our 2 week vacation. Benny Martin is a great surf instructor and I stood up on my very first try! Benny made sure I understood everything before I even hit the water and I had so much fun - it was like hanging out with a new friend for 2 hours while learning to surf. Even my hubby who stayed on shore was impressed with Benny and is telling everyone what a great instructor he is. Surfing on Kaanapali beach was fantastic I can't wait to go back and try again. Can't say enough good things about Benny - when I go back I am definitely going to book another surf lesson with him and bring all my friends!

1  Thank dlord70
Reviewed September 19, 2010

My wife and I had an excellent time learning to surf with Kea as our instructor. We had four people on our trip with varying athletic abilities. Three of the four of us got up on our first attempt. The other individual was not in as great shape, but still got a ride on just her second attempt. Unlike some of the other instructors from other schools at this location, Kea constantly tweaked where we collected together, to ensure that we would always be in position to catch each wave in the best way possible. Even after we started paddling to catch each wave, he continued coaching us in which direction to paddle, whether to paddle faster or slower, and when to stand up. Other students around us from other surf schools were getting clobbered and floundering on many waves while we were catching and riding wave after wave. I would highly reccomend this surf school, and Kea specifically as an instructor.

2  Thank Dagrover
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We had a group of 7 with varying degrees of athletic abilities take surfing lessons at the Royal Hawaiian Surf Acedemy, and everybody had an absolute blast! The entire group got to stand and ride several waves thanks to helpful instruction and assistance from Josh and Zane. The waves off the Lahaina coast are perfect for beginners ... just big enough to give you a ride into the beach but small enough to not be intimidating. Our one regret at the end of our lesson was not having somebody on the shoreline to capture us in action; but Royal Hawaiian even had that covered with Ric taking fantastic digital pictures of the group which he sold to us at a very reasonable price. I would recommend this to anybody who's at least semi-athletic. It's the best value of anything that we did in our trip to Maui.

1  Thank gnjley