“Three little kids did it!”

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Expert instructors and professional surfers teach you to ride a wave on your first lesson, then help you improve, fast! First time surfers and athletes looking to improve performance are welcome.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

We had two semi private lessons with Ikaia and Tanner. We have three kids 9,7, and 5. All of them got up! The instructors were very nice kept it fun and my kids would do it again! We also purchased the pictures at the end. Very nicely done. I was impressed with their ease with the kids. Great location, short walk, and everything ready to go. Great day!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,547)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had the best time learning to surf. Ikaika was our teacher, and he was excellent. He got us all up, my husband, our 11 year old daughter, our 8 year old daughter and myself...all on our first try. What a fun experience to ride those gentle waves on a long board in gorgeous Maui. The staff was also really helpful and friendly. We will definitely go back. We will have to because my 11 year old is hooked. Thank you Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy for making it such a memorable time!!!

1  Thank RachelBlaine
Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I loved my experience at Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy. Our instructor was very helpful! My partner and I both did really well. The one thing I didn't like was the location we actually went to surf. It's right next to a rock wall and there are rocks all over the floor. I guess that helps with staying on the board but it's important to be cautious if you do wipe out. Overall, great time though!

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We booked the 10:30 am beginners group lesson, and we're lucky, because it turned out semi-private - only one other student, a 13yr old fellow Canadian!

Luana checked us in, and when asked, chatted easily about her surfing experience. She was friendly and helpful. Steve was our instructor, and though he started out, I thought, kinda "over da top, bra'", he toned it down quickly and considerably.

Our 11yr old said, "Steve was nice, but the paddling was hard. And also, if you forget to bring a rash guard, they provide extras. Shoes too. The waves were fine because they weren't too big. The beach seemed nice, sandy. Steve gave us each individual pointers and tips."

My husband says "The instructor was good, but too many people closer to lunch. The earlier lesson would be better. It's just too crowded there, and too many people so it was a little frustrating trying to navigate while surfing."

My thoughts? A great 2 hours, and even though I'm almost 50 yrs old, would absolutely do it again. We all had numerous rides, just enough wait time between turns to recover. The RHSA ensures a small class size (up to 6) so you'll get lots of time surfing!

Bring a towel in case you get cold, as my daughter did. We sat on the beach for about 20 minutes, protected from the wind behind our surfboard. A towel would have been nice.

Steve individualized instruction, gave us lots of encouragement, and helped the less strong paddlers get going faster when catching a wave.

Book the earliest time possible.

Mahalo, RHSA!

1  Thank Catherine H
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a great experience at RHSA. We went in Lahaina where, we were told, the waves are a little better. Our instructor was Ikaika and he worked with the whole family to make sure we got up and stayed up for a little chaka style time. He even showed us a headstand on his way in! Really fun. Go early to avoid the crowds.

1  Thank Sconnie1848