“Amazing time, I can now surf!”

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Expert instructors and professional surfers teach you to ride a wave on your first lesson, then help you improve, fast! First time surfers and athletes looking to improve performance are welcome.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Winnipeg, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing time, I can now surf!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Thanks to Ikaika and Dreyson my wife any myself can now surf!
They had us standing up and riding a wave on our second try.

It was a great time, highly recommended!

“Awesome surf lesson”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Average 44 year old guy manages to stand up during first surf lesson; thrilled to see his 13 year old daughter catch every wave. Reasonable prices, great instructors, perfect beginner location.

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience!! Mahalo Kalani =)”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I went surfing at Kaanapali beach. Our lesson was about an hour and a half long and cost us about $60 each. It was the first time for either of us to go surfing. Here in Toronto, surfing isn't really big and summer is never that long. My boyfriend is pretty coordinated and more physically fit and I am more of the opposite, but despite the difference in our fitness levels, our instructor Kalani was able to teach us both.

Kalani was a great teacher, laid back, friendly and very encouraging. He was also very entertaining, engaging in conversation with both my boyfriend and I while we waited for the waves. I was super nervous because my ability to balance on a snowboard was a terrible failure, and though I had wiped out multiple times, I was able to make it to shore by my third wave =). Our class size was small, it was just my boyfriend and I which was great because we basically had the waves to ourselves.

We weren't sure if someone would be taking our pictures, but when our lesson ended, we found out someone sneakily did. It was great we didn't see the photographer cause we would have been less relaxed. We ended up getting the pictures of us surfing once we saw them because we got some great shots. It was about $20/person which we found fair given that we received over 80 pictures and was a great souvenir to have. Thanks for the pictures Wes! I would highly recommend surfing with the Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy and if possible request Kalani to teach you, you wont be disappointed.

Hanover, New Hampshire
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“way more fun than we anticipated!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

It was both my wife and my first surf lessons and I could tell my wife was nervous (b/c she usually is). Once we started working with our instructor Josh, though, I could tell immediately that she was feeling more comfortable. He's just a really nice guy and a really good instructor with an endless amount of knowledge. Once we got out on the water, he started us slowly and realized we both were decent for first-timers after our first few runs and brought us out to a slightly more difficult area. We were both still very comfortable b/c we knew Josh would only have done that if he knew we could handle it. The waves were decent, but came in clumps that were far apart, so there was a decent amount of downtime, where we picked Josh's brain about anything surfing. The 2 hours went by way too fast (and we were bummed that we were leaving Maui that day, or we would have gone back), but we both left realizing we had way more fun than we expected. I would definitely recommend the RHSA and ask for Josh!

Philadelphia, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My 11 year old daughter took a stand up paddle lesson and she loved it. It was the main thing she wanted to do in Maui and she had a great time. Her instructor Drey was very helpful and encouraging and she was able to get right up within minutes.

Visited August 2013