“Take lessons from these guys and gals.”

Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Expert instructors and professional surfers teach you to ride a wave on your first lesson, then help you improve, fast! First time surfers and athletes looking to improve performance are welcome.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Kea was my instructor. He was nice, knowledgable, and pleasantly personal. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was a terrific experience. Being on the down slope of "50 something" this was one of our "bucket list" items. Our instructors, Johnny and Mike B. were extremely helpful and very patient. After a practical lesson on the shore, we hit the surf. It didn't take us long at all to get up on our boards and start paddling. What a blast! We both felt very safe and secure as our instructors were never far away from us. Troy captured some great pictures of our group too. Thanks guys for a memorable adventure!

J. Jordan

Reviewed May 22, 2013

Surf lessons was one of the top things on our list of things to do in Maui, and Royal Hawaiian Surf Academy had the best reviews so we booked a semi-private lesson (just my husband and I) in May at 7:45am. It was even better than we hoped! Talvi was our instructor and he was great! Super laid back but very knowledgable and gave great instruction. My husband has surfed before but I haven't and we both had a great time, I stood up on my first wave! We also purchased the picture cd which was well worth the $40. We got over 100 pics which turned out great! I recommend the 7:45 time for lessons, we were some of the only people out for a little while which I think helped a lot. The semi-private lessons were worth the price. Wear BOARD SHORTS unless you like sore legs :) We can't wait to go back to Maui with our kids and have another surf lesson with these guys and hang out in their surf shop. Highlight of our trip for sure!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

So this was my first time ever surfing and the fact that I was able to get up and do it successfully on the FIRST ATTEMPT speaks loads to the effectiveness of this company, its instructors, and the quality of the instruction you receive.

our instructor, Josh, was fantastic. He trained us well on the beach, and when we hit hte water, we were ready to ride. All four of us (of drastically varying ages) were successfully riding waves by the end of the day - which quickly became my favorite activity in Hawaii.

I cannot recommend this enough...if you have ever considered surfing, this is the way to go. They do a great job and are a great group of of people. Thank you for making a surfer out of me!!!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had a great time surfing with at the Royal Hawaiian Surf academy! Was such a great time. I'm a 24 year old, who has never surfed before, but have snowboarded a lot. It wasn't too slow or too fast of a lesson and they made it an overall awesome experience.

I initially thought that the price was a bit steep but in retrospect, they set you up with all you need, which makes it a solid deal (You get a surf board, water shoes to protect against the rocky floor and a UV/surf shirt). We had 7 or 8 people in our group with 2 instructers, not a bad ratio. They gave us a 12 ft board which apparently makes it easier to balance than the usual sized ones which is around 10 ft.

The staff were great - we had (Tan) Dan & Josh. They first start you off with an on-beach lesson to go over the basics and then you're off to the water! You can tell these guys have bee doing it for a while - they know what they're talking about, are very clear, and make sure that everyone is set up and good to go.

When you get in the water they take two people out at a time, talk you through the steps, support you on the board, and even tow you with your foot if you get out into a place where the current is strong. When I went, the tow was key, as the waves were pretty big. It helped me feel a lot more comfortable as I'm not the greatest swimmer. Tan Dan got me out of a place where the current felt too strong for me to paddle out of with his foot tow moves.

It is a two hour lesson, and I ended up getting about 5 "turns" to surf and by the end I was exhausted. I wanted to keep going but I don't think my arms could paddle me any more. The reason for only 5 turns was that they take you out to get a one on one lesson for the wave, and there is a bit of downtime when they're helping the other folks in the lesson. It isn't bad - gives you some time to catch your breath, think about how the last run went and figure out what you can do better next time. It reminded me off a ski resort, you do your run, then wait a bit to catch the chairlift back up.

All in all, I would recommend this place to anyone looking to surf in Maui. Great instructers and an overall awesome time! SURFS UP!!!!!!