Hololani Resort
Westin.com
$407
$299
$219
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$219
$386
$329
  • Beachfront
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$268
$257
getaroom.com
  • Beachfront
All reviewsbeach accessassigned parkingmaui brewing coliving roomvacation internationalethousand bucksnice condoend unitbuilding bunderground parkingbeach daysluggage cartrented condothe trade windsroad noisebeds were comfortablegranite countertops
Reviewed September 26, 2006

We just returned from a 10 day stay in Maui at the Hololani. We stayed in unit A203 and it was wonderful.

The staff is very friendly and easy to work with. The condo was ready when we arrived and felt like home. We had four adults staying in the one unit and did not feel crowded in the least. There was plenty of room to hang our clothes and lots of drawer space. The kitchen was fully equipped and had dishwasher detergent, dish soap, towels, aluminum foil, cookware, you name it! There was also a coffee grinder. We bought ground coffee at Costco, but if we get to go again, I'll remember this so we can grind our own. The condo also came with beach towels, had I known this I would not have packed my own, but they are there (at least in this unit) if you need them.

The grounds were nicely maintained. The staff cleans the pool and the pool area every morning, and the grills are cleaned daily as well. We ate out for the majority of the trip, but we saw other residents using them and the pool area has tables so you can dine al fresco.

The units are not air conditioned!!! This was not a problem for us as the trade winds and the fans in the condo kept us cool enough that we really barely noticed. However, I know this can be an issue for some people so please be aware that none of the condos have a/c at this time.

The beach is really not a good swimming beach, but great for taking a stroll. There was a lot of high surf for the majority of our trip (this affected all beach areas, not just the area where Hololani is located), but the water is a little rough and the water area is pretty rocky (under the water). The pool was lovely for swimming and relaxing when we weren't out exploring. They do like for the pool area to be relatively quiet, so you may want to keep this in mind if you feel like partying it up!

The condos are located in a very convenient area and I think look to be nicer than some of the other condos in the same location. It is right around the corner from some very good restaurants, including a brew house & rotisserie that makes nice local microbrews. It is a short drive to both Kapalua and Lahaina as well. We loved that the location was so convenient and still felt secluded.

We had a very late flight off of the island (11 pm!) and asked to be allowed to stay in the unit past our check out time. The staff was very accommodating and had no problem letting us check out later. If you need to do this, it is nice to check in advance to make sure no one is checking into your unit right after you leave.

The views are really unmatched in this complex. I stayed in a hotel on my first visit to Maui and to get the view we had at the Hololani, we would have to pay about a thousand bucks a night. In this unit, we were literally less than a hundred yards from the beach. I can only imagine what it is like during the winter when the whales come. It's just breathtaking, and you can see both Lanai and Molokai. Unreal.

There were only two things that bothered us a bit during our stay: 1) they started working on the outside of the pool area during our last few days, and we saw a few nails on the walkway on the way out of the pool. Not good for bare feet or flimsy flip-flops! and 2) the sound of the ocean. I know that sounds like a ridiculous complaint, but the surf is LOUD. It's not an issue during the day, but if you are a light sleeper, it can wreak havoc on you, and it did for me. I did not sleep through the night once in the whole 10 days we stayed. We finally got desparate and closed our sliders one night but got too hot and had to reopen them. It was not enough that I would not stay here again, because I certainly would, but I will bring some sort of sleeping pill with me next time!

I would recommend that anyone stay here! Mahalo Hololani!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
18  Thank anglovesmaui
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Unit #204 at the Hololani Resort is wonderful. We would stay there again without hesitation. We prefer 4 star accomodations when traveling and this exceeded our expectations. The unit is well decorated, has a full kitchen, large living room and two full baths.

You won't believe how close this end unit is to the ocean. You have to turn your TV volume up to hear it over the sound of the ocean.

You are convienently located between Lahaina and Napili, which makes everything convienent.

Stay her unless you require the onsite facilities of a resort hotel - bar, large pool (small one on site), large beach onsite, etc.

Stayed: September 2006
10  Thank TheHelpfuls
Reviewed September 19, 2006

Just a few quick notes about the Hololani.

This place is great. It's definitely an affordable and a relaxing place to stay in Maui. We stayed in A203 and the view was incredible. You literally have a sunset on your back porch every single day. Gorgeous views. The place was decorated nicely, nothing extremely fancy though. The kitchen had everything, so if you like to cook - this is the place. I must also mention the grilling area was good as well. Someone actually comes and cleans the pool area including the grills every day.

I will say that we are from the south, and have grown up in the heat, and air condition. And, we were unaware that this place did not have air condition. Personally, I was okay with it as you can open the front door and porch door to get great breezes that cool the place down. I liked the open air envirnoment - however our two friends and my wife wished there would have been air condition.

With that said, the Hololani's location is excellent. It is just close enough to lots of restaurants, other resorts, beaches, grocery stores, etc. - yet it feels almost secluded. It was nice to come back after a long day at "Big Beach" in south Maui to a relaxing room.

The beach at the Hololani is not a big beach. It's good for morning walks, thats about it. No a big deal though, because there are several other gorgeous beaches close by.

Considering the price and location, this is a great place to stay in Maui. At the Hololani you will not feel like you're staying in a hotel room. It will feel more like home.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank bradford4
Reviewed August 16, 2006

As we stepped through the door into 402-A, our adult daughter's first words were, "Way to go, Mom!" Thanks to Trip Advisor, we really had found a winner! Unit 402-A is absolutely beautiful!! This recently remodeled condo has everything... granite counter tops, mirrored walls, tiled floors, all part of a warm, very tasteful tropical decor. An ocean view through floor to ceiling windows spans the entire length of the living room and front bedroom. Everything we needed was available from coffee filters, baggies and cookie sheets to a DVD player...We also had access to BBQs and a large room for private parties. Really, other than our food, we lacked nothing to make our stay comfortable. The incredible part of all of this is that our accommodations were far more inviting and luxurious than what we saw when visiting family staying in a high-end time share up the street.

I want to give you the full picture of Hololani Resort. It is a comparatively small condo, a little older than those nearby. The elevator is badly in need of new carpeting and a fresh coat of paint. i can't imagine that all of the units are as nice as 402-A as each owner decorates to his taste and budget, but we heard only positive remarks from other guests. The pool is small but well maintained. In the evening, the area is aglow with tiki torches, easily enjoyed from our lanai.

Marcia in the office is very helpful. I asked her to select the best unit for our needs. She certainly did a great job with that! Upon departure, I left our camera battery plugged into the wall. She immediately mailed it back to me which I very much appreciated.

Lots of restaurants are within walking distance. There are three supermarkets within a ten minute drive. Expect to pay more for groceries. (In one store, Bing cherries were $12.95 a pound!) We found the best prices at Safeway and were glad we had shopped first at Costco, near the airport. You will need to take your own salt and pepper as all cndiments are removed from the condos between stays.

Bottom line...When we return to Maui one day, we will definitely stay at Hololani Resort!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
21  Thank NancyJones
Reviewed August 15, 2006

My family of 3 and my sister spent 5 days at Hololani in early Aug 2006

In general, we enjoyed our stay at the property.

The Hololani condos are located in Kahana which about 15-20 mins north of Lahaina and 5 minutes south of Kapalua.

About 1 block away on Hoohui street, there's all the stores you need to make your vacation enjoyable. There's a Whalers' general store which is basically convenient store similar to ABC store. In the same shopping center is a McDonald's, Roy's ( yes, the famous chain restaurant from Oahu), Outback Steak House, local coffee hangout and a local micro brewery. In addition, you can get all our watersport needs at the Maui Dive shop.

As an added plus, there's a decent Chinese restaurant hidden on the same street about 1.5 blocks away called China boat. So if you are craving chinese food, this is the place. You don't need to drive 15-20 minutes to Lahaina

The Hololani condos have two twin towers 8 stories high; the buildings are probably built from the early to mid 1970s

The condos are literally on the beach. If you are a light sleeper and can't stand to listen to the waves , then this place is not for you.
Also if you open the front door to your unit, you'll get the wonderful cross wind to cool the condo. The breeze was great and comforting.

During our stay building B was being reneuvated so it was a little bit noisy with the constructing, but nothing worth losing sleep or complaining about.
Looking at some of the units from the pool, the CC&Rs for this condo is lax, because some units have fans installed in the lanai, others don't/

We stayed in unit A303. The unit was in good condition; the bathroom fixtures needed to be replaced and updated though.
One of the towel racks was coming apart too.

The pool is small but good size. The beach adjacent to the property is narrow and has sharp rocks, but it's still romantic for sunsets or early mornings. our 11 month old son enjoyed the beach.
The BBQ grills are easy to use

When we arrived, we were given lots of good tips in Maui tour books. Marcia, the property manager was helpful in our trip to Hana; she let us borrow an audio CD of the road to Hana.

There were some guests who has some noisy kids but they quieted down as soon as someone asked them to chill out.

One thing I would change is to make it a house rules for non smoking certain hours by the pool. I have an infant and several times we left because there were guests who were smoking.

Would I stay here again? probably, but I am curious about staying in other towns like Kaanapili , Kapalua or Kihei. So it's most likely I would go to other place.

With that being said, this place is a great value for families needing 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, assigned parking, walking distance to food stores, and as close as you can get with a view of the beach and ocean

Thinking about owning a condo in Hololani - one unit on the 6th floor as asking for $980k for 2bd, 2ba and 770 square feet.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank ilovegoogle