“Great Horses, Nice trail, so-so guide”
Review of Ironwood Ranch

Ironwood Ranch
Ranked #36 of 125 things to do in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: We're the "Best Place to Find Yourself on Horseback" according to Hawaii Magazine's 2008 "Best of Hawaii" - and they should know! Ride our beautiful horses through lush, exotic valleys, ironwood forests, and pineapple fields, while enjoying spectacular panoramic views of the outer islands! Nestled in the midst of unspoiled mountains, rain forests and farmland, Ironwood Ranch sits on acres of private land inaccessible to most, but ready and waiting for you to explore!
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Overall this made for a fun and relaxing morning. We were two couples who were joined by 2 very young girls (looked to be around 8 and 10 yrs old). The first thing was that the ranch only allows 6 people on the trail at any one time (plus the guide) so even though the parents of the two young girls came and wanted to go on the ride with them they were denied because of this rule. It seemed a little crazy that two young girls could not be accompanied by their parents even if they had to bend the rule this time. Regardless, the girls went ahead - they were clearly nervous about riding these horses and one said very loudly that she did NOT want to be last in the line on the trail (she was most likely concerned that help would be hard to get to her if she was in the back). So, the guide puts both girls in the back ! They were pretty scared so my wife stayed in the back close to them and talked to them the whole time so they weren't scared. But this was ridiculous, the guide should have taken better care of them and kept them up front where he could keep an eye on them. Really, really poorly organized that way. The guide was apparently a park guide who was using this gig as a fill-in because he was furloughed for the week because of the Federal budget issues. He had a very "I-could-care-less" attitude... as we were riding he was pointing out things like "That's a mango tree"....."there's a pineapple"..... "That's an old irrigation station"..... very obvious stuff, not any insight relative to where we were and the history of the land we were riding on. Having said all of this, there was a young blond woman who initially met us and got us set up who was very nice and personable. The horses they assigned based on our indicated riding ability, age and weight seemed to be spot on and the horses were very gentle and well mannered. Overall, I would do this again but with a different guide.

1  Thank mike1976123234

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Gina, Caitlin and Ryan were an outstanding team! We don't ride and they made us feel comfortable and confident which enabled us to relax and enjoy ourselves. It was a beautiful route with a variety of flora and views of West Maui.

Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I read the "horrible" ratings. I had a great experience. FYI, it's a ranch so the road up was expected. Gravel and we were in a jeep. It was beautiful up and down. Rain? Yeah it will rain up there but you may not see it down by the city. It rained for a bit and they saddled us up. Angel was at the front and that girl did her best to turn her body as her horse marched forward while being very infromative. She was awesome. No one ever forced any gratuity and no one was rude by any means. Seems the people that gave horrible reviews were a bit prissy, some of the gripes appear to be legit. My three kids had a blast. Thanks again Angel. Mahalo....Steve and Dina.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

we arrived early as I always do with most things, introduced ourselves, was given a safety sheet to fill out then through sight and experience, Gina measured us up to a horse, ( who were named after celebrities ) she thought would suit, I had Courtney Cox, and that was their way of communication to us while on the ride, others I can remember are Jean Claude Van Damme, Shania Twain, Justin Bieber, Brittney Spiers I had a couple of shout out's to straighten up, seem to slide to one side untill I got the rhythm going at walking pace suited me to the ground, Katlin was our other guide and these girls know their stuff very knowledgeable of the history of the island flora and fauna growing everywhere along the narrow winding trail through seven foot high cane grasses, across a running creek, pass an ancient remains of a village from time gone by, up and down the valley with most of it under a canopy of local brush with Norfolk pines darted around,( which was bought in to build their canoes for the strong timber), up to a clearing high up over looking Maui's coastline with panoramic views of every which way you turn, of neighboring Molokai and Lanai in the distant, making for some great photo shots which the guides were happy to take, so don't forget your camera, then down the other side, an awesome some 90 mins worth the tour, recommend this for sure.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Although I don't remember any of the staff names, everyone on the ranch were very pleasant, friendly and we enjoyed our horse ride. The property this ranch on is beautiful and there are beautiful sites and views to see and photograph during the ride. There are a few steep uphill and down hill parts that gave an adrenalin junkie as myself a rush! I rode the horse named Slash who is an endurance horse and he was ready to take off, but didn't! Lol
I rode behind the horse named Will Smith who moves a little slow so I was able to take pics of myself and the views while riding! Great experience for anyone and I would recommend this ranch!