“Our guide got bucked off”
Review of Ironwood Ranch

Ironwood Ranch
Ranked #32 of 125 things to do in Lahaina
More attraction details
Owner description: We're the "Best Place to Find Yourself on Horseback" according to Hawaii Magazine's 2008 "Best of Hawaii" - and they should know! Ride our beautiful horses through lush, exotic valleys, ironwood forests, and pineapple fields, while enjoying spectacular panoramic views of the outer islands! Nestled in the midst of unspoiled mountains, rain forests and farmland, Ironwood Ranch sits on acres of private land inaccessible to most, but ready and waiting for you to explore!
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Our resort recommended Ironwood to us, so we thought everything would be fine. The brochure says that riders will be placed on horses based on their experience. That didn't happen on our visit here. My teenage daughter and I have had very little experience on horses, and the people we were with owned horses and said they were quite experienced. The horses are named after Hollywood actors/actresses. The guide was going to put my daughter on "Jet Li", but the other experienced rider exclaimed that she just loved the actor "Jet Li" and wanted that horse, so the guide put her on "Jet Li" and put my daughter on another horse--what happened to pairing inexperienced riders with their horses? My daughter and I opted to wear helmets, but they are optional--Wear a helmet--there is risk of falling on steep, rocky terrain; as the horses do stumble. The next thing that surprised me was when our guide's horse spooked, bucked her off and then ran off. The guided tour is mostly on the property of the ranch, so the guide was able to get another horse quickly, but it left me with concern about the temperament of these horses and the safety of the riders. On a positive note, our guide was very knowledgable about the area and gave a good tour. We enjoyed the scenery; the ocean view, and pineapple fields.

4  Thank patswife86

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Great value with great people and an amazing ride.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

The most beautiful exciting trail ride of your life! The sights and views are magnificent. So awesome! Defiantly a must do on Maui!!!

1  Thank Xgracex
Reviewed May 21, 2011

We did an afternoon horseback ride at Ironwood Ranch. A quick ~20 min drive from our Lahaina condo, and we arrived at Ironwood. Dressed in our long pants (although not required, bur recommended) and covered shoes, we were ready to ride. We were in a small group of only 6 with our guide, which was a perfect size. We mounted our horses, all named after famous actresses / actors......ours being Jet Lee, Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck....and lined up to go. Good to note that there are not drinks / food allowed on the trip, but refreshments are available at the main area following the ride. Bring your camera as there are a few stops along the way for photos....no videocameras allowed on the trail.

The tour takes you up and down hills, and through beautiful valleys and fields at a pace slow enough for even the most inexperienced riders to keep pace. The views are spectaular and the tour is a quiet refreshing journey through backcountry Maui.

So.....to summarize, I was TERRIFIED getting on the horse, while my travel companions were super excited. I sucked up my fear which allowed me to enjoy the wonderful ride! Word of caution, if you're an inexperienced rider as we were, you will likely be sore the next day!!!

2  Thank AmesK8
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We went on a 2 hr. morning ride a week ago at Ironwood Ranch. I had good communication with the staff prior to our ride and I had to change my plans due to the bad weather at home delaying our flight. Ironwood was very pleasant and accomodating. Myself, my 8 yr old daughter, 10 yr old son and my husband all did the trail ride w/ a guide. We were the only ones on this early morning ride. I really wasn't sure what to expect as my kids had NO riding experience. They give you a little rule book to read and then you just jump on the horse and go. I was really nervous for the first few minutes but the horses did great w/ my very inexperienced family. Our guide was very knowledgeable and the views were stunning. The wt. limit is 220 lbs and my husband weighs in at 219, he got the horse named Owen Wilson and Owen has two speeds, slow and stop. It was very funny, we had lots of laughs and I hope my kids will remember this great experience for many years. I would definitely recommend Ironwood for a laid back, relaxing, trail ride.

2  Thank pamperedschaaf