“Beautiful Location, Great Hotel!”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Torrance, California
“Beautiful Location, Great Hotel!”
Reviewed April 16, 2005

From our late-arriving Sunday night check-in to our check-out a week later, we knew that we had made the right hotel choice on Maui. Ours was a family trip during Spring Break in mid-April with 11 and 14 year old children. The Sheraton was a hit with all of us! At check-in, our room was actually upgraded twice -- no charge. They also provided a rollaway bed -- again, no charge. This may not sound like much, but in Hawaii there is a charge for everything! We had a great room overlooking the pool, the beach and Black Rock where we could enjoy the Cliff Diving ceremony every evening right from our balcony. The snorkling right off Black Rock is one of the better places on Maui. We encountered not only many beautiful fish, but even giant Sea Turtles. The kids loved that! (note: check around to get a great deal on renting snorkel gear -- the rental at the beach is outrageous! Off-site, we rented gear for 4 of us for the week that was less than the daily charge right at the beach) The beauty was the location. Walk out of the room, through the exspansive Pool area, onto the beach and into the water. It's all right there. The staff at the Sheraton were great also. They were very friendly, very helpful and very accomodating. At times in Hawaii you can get an indifferent attitude in dealing with people. We never experienced that at this hotel. It was a great week, a fun vacation in a beautiful place. My kids didn't want to leave. My wife and I have been to several different hotels in Hawaii and this is one that we will be returning to. Just not soon enough.

• Stayed April 2005
20 Thank Bruinsmith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed April 12, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Maui for our honeymoon from Dec 13th - Dec 19th, 2004. We arrived early in the morning so we didn't get greated with a lai ;( but we did get upgraded to an oceanview room which was very nice in the building closest to the pool and beach.
The weather was GROGEOUS and the hotel was quiet which was very nice. The beach was nice and I loved the pool with a mini waterfall and how the hot tub was tucked away. The room was simple and clean so no complaints there. The hotel restaurants were expensive so we had breakfast once in the hotel, learned out lesson and then went out to dinner in Lahaina, the little town 10 minutes away, or even around Kaanapali there were a few restaurants. Loved that we were walking distance to Whalers Village which offered a few fast food places to grab lunch at. ABC stores were amazing for EVERYTHING! Souvenirs to drinks, snacks.....
I got alot of mixed reveiws on trip advisor and have to admit that i was a little concerned but I have NO IDEA why people would complain about the Sheraton Maui!! It was PERFECT!!

• Stayed December 2004
14 Thank schultz
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed April 3, 2005

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in March. Everything was just so clean and nice. They gave us an upgrade and a bottle of champagne because we were on our honeymoon so we got a ocean view room for the price of a mountain view. The bed was even more comfortable than ours at home. My only complaint, the pool is overcrowded all the time and they don't have enough cabanas on the beach. We walked down to the Westin pool which is twice as big as the Sheraton and you could find always find a spot. This hotel is in a great location right on black rock.

• Stayed March 2005
8 Thank Gianna311
Reviewed April 1, 2005

From the fresh flower lei greeting at check in, to the fact that they have your car waiting for you when you call for the bellman at checkout, this hotel cares about their guests' comfort.

The bellman gives you a little tour when you arrive, so you feel at ease right off the bat. The hotel is located on the best site of this area, near Whaler's village, but on the quiet end of the district.

Clean, comfortable rooms with a lovely porch. We booked late but even the garden view in the back of the hotel showed a glimpse of the ocean and clffs and a nice view of the golf course.

The hotel is well maintained, lovely tropical pools, good sundown entertainment on the deck bar. Our teens jumped off the 'cliffs' into the ocean; the highlight of their trip.

The hotel leaves messages for you, checking along your stay to make sure that everything is to your liking. The frendliness of the staff is exceptional. It is a very nice luxury resort and you would not be disappointed if you came here.

We went to Hana hwy, we went on a whale tour (go to slip 2 at Laihana, they do the best tour), shopped and ate in Laihana, shopped and ate in Whaler's village, and saw the sun rise at Mt. Halekala (we FROZE; take coats, gloves and a blanket, it's SOOO cold). Speaking of Whaler's village (within walking distance of the hotel; there is a kiosk in front of the Black & White clothing store where we bought exquisite, art at reasonable prices. The manager there is fantastic!).

• Stayed January 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2005

This website was very helpful to us to plan our trip, so I wanted to return the favor. Hope this helps your planning. You have to rent a car. We had a Sebring convertable with discounts paid $266/week, pretty reasonable. As you leave the airport you will drive by a K-Mart. Stop and buy an inexpensive styro. cooler, soda, bottled water etc. It will be a lot cheaper here than later.
We wanted to go to the top of Haleakala for the sunrise the first morning. Being from WI. you will wake early. I woke up at 2:45am. The first night we stayed in a hotel in Kihei. It cuts off a lot of driving than starting from Kanapali. It was 1:45 from the base to reach the summit. An easy drive, the road is smooth and wide. The view and experience is second to none. It was truly a remarkable experience to see the sunrise over that crater. It was about 30 degrees which isn't bad for a midwesterner, but the wind was about 30 mph and the wind chill would freeze you to the bone so take warm clothes and gloves. The person taking the pictures without the gloves will suffer. That be me!! If you do anything in Maui this is a must!
We then stayed at the Shereton in Kanapali. We had a oceanfront room that they upgraded to a deluxe. The room was spacious and comfortable and we were able to see whales right from our lanai. We had read some bad reviews about the rooms at the Shereton but the beds were very comfortable and we were pleased with our stay. Of course for the price you expect to be. When we arrived they gave ua a lai and had us sit down and relax while they loaded our luggage onto a golf cart for our transportation to our room. No formal check-in, very nice touch. We had read a lot about incidential charges that are aggrevating. Well, they do charge for chairs on the beach and they charge a $14.50/ day resort fee just like many other hotels. That's Hawaii, get over it or it will ruin your vacation. We snorkeled at Black Rock, right off the beach at the Shereton. We saw some pretty neat fish and four sea turtles which were neat but I would also recommend going to Molikini snorkeling if your serious about better snorkling. It is nice though to have that right off your beach. Whalers village is a short walk or drive to shopping and some dining. Get a nice hawaiian shirt at Tommy Bahama's. Expensive but very nice. Hey, it's your vacation! We had dinner one night at Swan Court in the Hyatt. The Hyatt was another hotel I thought would be very nice to stay at. Swan court is another must! The setting is second to none and the food is delicious. We ordered two appetisers and two salads and shared an entree. That way you can try a lot more dishes. They were very kind to bring our entree on two separate serving plates. (no extra charge) Service was great. Call for res. They open at 6:00pm. Go early and ask for a table by the water. If you like to dine, you will remember it for a long time. They validate your valet parking. Best dinner we had in Maui.
Went on a helicopter ride with Blue Hawaiian. If you do this, this is probably the best. However, it was $400 for 45 minutes for two. Probably wouldn't do it again. The small thing that ticked me off was after the flight we had to pay $3 for parking at the heliport. You would think for $400 they would validate your parking. Again, you have to let those things slide.
Took day trip south to Wailea and the south shore. A lot of nice beaches and sites and some good restaurants and shopping in the shops of Wailea. Also drove up to Iao Valley and the Maui plantation. Nothing great but nice to see.
Went to the Old Lahaina Luau. My wife wanted to go more than I, but I really enjoyed it. You saw how they buried and roasted the pig; had a great variety of food; a great variety of tropical drinks, all included and good entertainment. Unless you like eating wallpaper paste stay away from the poi, no matter what anyone says, take my advise. I eat anything, but that stuff is nasty! If you go to a luau make sure you pay the price and go to this one. Others I have attended in the past for less were less!
We also drove around the northern tip of Maui. I know it says no rentals beyond a certain point but it really is ok if you drive carefully. But it is at your own risk. Hey, if your one of those yahoo's that rode a bike down the volcano you certainly can do this. Make sure you have a good map with sites to see and milage markers or you will miss a lot. We went as far as Kahakuloa. There is a wonderful gallery there with very nice souveniers and a much needed bathroom. Prior to that you will see the stand with the "best banana bread". We concur, $5 for a mini loaf, a nice snack. You could take drinks and water in that cooler you bought at K-Mart earlier. You should always have liquids to drink. The views are much like off Hwy 1 in Ca. south of Big Sur. Very nice.
Touring the golf courses in Kapalua are worthwhile. I would have loved to golf but my wife isn't a golfer so I spent my money in the pro shop!
We took the road to Hana but were disappointed. We had high hopes because we love the outdoors and hiking but after taking that northern tip trip, the views just couldn't compare. Part of this was because there has been a bit of a drought and the waterfalls were just not that impressive. We bought the CD that describes the trip. It was probably worthwhile but the guy talks fast and I missed some because I was concentrating on my driving. It is a very winding road and I even was a bit motion sick at the end. I think its insanity to drive there and back in one day; especially when you have a property like the Hotel Hana Maui at the end. It's not a place for small kids because they would be bored but it is a wonderful relaxing property with a great spa and good food. We only stayed one night but wish we would have had two, so we could have enjoyed more. No clocks, TV's or phones; and really nothing else there, other than some nice spots you can drive to past Hana. But a couple of days of nothing but laying by the pool, a spa etc. would really put you in a good mood to travel back home. Especially if you were travelling to snow and 20 degrees. Leaving in the morning to go back to the airport is about 1:45 min. Most of the traffic is of course driving the other way to Hana.
I could have written much more. We always left about two hours in the afternoons for pool or beach time in the sun. Wow, what a life. Someone ask me why I live in Wisconsin!. By the way gas is $2.66/gal, $3.16 in Hana. We bought a tank from the rental car co. at seven cents/gal below market and just went back with little gas in the tank. That way you don't have to worry about stopping at a station at the end.
Have a wonderful trip. It was our 30th anniversary and we couldn't have had a better time. Maui is indeed a paradise.

47 Thank recres
Reviewed February 28, 2005

We decided to stay at the islands busy end on our second trip. The Sheraton was a perfect choice. The room was clean, the beds surprisingly comfortable and the staff helpful. The property is larger than most so you never felt you were in a crowd---except at the pool of course. The beachfront walk to a small shopping center and several restaurants provided our evenings meal and entertainment .Will definitely return to the Sheraton.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2005

This review is going back a year, we stayed at the Sheraton Maui for 9 days on our honeymoon in Oct 2004. The other 5 we were in Waikiki on Oahu. The Sheraton Maui is a WONDERFUl hotel. We were treated like royalty the moment we drove up. From the time we got into the parking lot, we never touched our bags until we were ready to leave.

The resort is spread out and depending on where you are staying, there is some walking involved to get around. However you quickly develope "routes" in your head and can get around very easy. With such a large spread, the resort never seems crowded and the air is full of the flowery smells of Hawaii.

We stayed in an ocenview room right on the black rock. It was great! The room is clean and comfortable. I have read reviews complaining about the matresses. I can't speak for all the rooms, but ours was like sleeping on a cloud. It was very comfortable.

The resort has a prime location for swimming, snorkeling and scuba. It also is only a short walk up the beach to Whalers Village and many shops and places to eat. We found that the pool side bar does serve lunch and snacks but seemed expensive to us. $30 for hamburgers (no fries) and chocolate smoothies for 2. Neither of us drink very often so I cannot tell you what the alcohol prices were. Better off walking up the beach to the Hula Grill. The fruit sampler platter is awesome, as well as the other food. Very reasonable and a great view. We did break down and have lunch at the resort though, we just were enjoying laying around too much to head up the beach to the restaurants.

The pool is also great. I read a poor review or 2 about it and do not know why. It is very large and lagoon type. You will spend alot more time in the ocean than the pool but the pool is great. You also have pool priveleges at the Westin Maui 2 hotesl down. They have a water slide and waterfall and a grotto type area. Very nice, but very kid friendly. If you are a family with children, they will like this pool a lot better. Honeymooners or older couples will like the Sheraton pool better.

Contrary to another review, there IS a hot tub. You just need to look for it. You cannot swim to it. It is on the ocean view side , screened by plants and up a few stairs. Ask someone who works there to point it out if you can't find it. The pool area is very large, with many foot bridges crossing it. Walk around it and explore and you will find the tub on your own.

One thing I cannot stress enough is to use the concierge service. They are GREAT. We planned virtually no activities until we got to the resort and did it all on the fly. The concierge got us great deals, directed us where to go and took care of all reservations. They simply bill the cost to your room, so you go to many of the activities, show ID and off you go. No paying and all that at the location, it is already done.

We ate most of our meals in Lahaina and never ate in the regular restaurant at the resort so I cannot rate it. There is a Japanese restaurant called Tepanyaki Dan on the resort and we did eat there. It is excellent food and a lot of fun. We sat at a table with 2 other couples on their honeymoons and had a great time. If you have never eaten in a Japanese style restaurant before, just remember to allow yourself time. You are not in and out in 30 minutes. Also you will need to make reservations ahead of time to get in. It is popular and not very large. A bit pricy but worth it for the experiance and the special occassion.

The only negative I have is that the hotel (and the one on Oahu) tends to nickel and dime you. The room we stayed in was not cheap on either island. You would think coffee would be included but if you make it in the room, or tea or hot chocolate, you will be charged. They also charge you for the use of the beach chairs, NOT the ones at the pool but the ones that you take onto the sand. For what you pay for the room, I would think that would cover chairs, but Hawaii is a bit on the pricey side. Just take a few extra towels from the kiosk by the pool and you will be fine.

The staff is very friendly and we did not have a single problem with our stay.

Tip: If you go up to Haliakala ( I know I spelled it wrong) to watch the sun rise dress WARM. It is COLD before the sun comes up. If you have the room in your luggage pack gloves (yes, gloves) a hat and a warm coat. We had brought light jackets with us. I wanted to bring coats but my wife thought I was crazy bringing stuff like that to Hawaii ( I saw people on tv wearing the stuff before we left home...but anyway) all we brought were jackets. We took the robes that the hotel provides with us and wore them over our t shirts and under our jackets when we got there and made due. We also took towels and draped them over our heads held on by our ball caps to keep our ears warm ( you are 10,000 feet up). In addition, bring a flashlight. Inside the closet there is a plug in flashlight for emergencies attached to the wall. When you pull it off its mount it turns on, unscrew the bottom slightly and it will turn off. Screw it back in and it comes on. There are no lights on the mountain summit, the viewing area has a shelter and a map but nothing else. Everyone was crowding around our flashlight setting up their cameras, prior to the sunrise. Just remember to return all the towels, robes and flashlight to your room when you get back! ( The hotel concierge told us about the flashlight!)

Enjoy the hotel, it is truly a place in paradise. My wife and I would return in a heartbeat.

53 Thank A TripAdvisor Member