“Great location with many food and entertainment options”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 26, 2014

This resort has many entertainment options including snorkeling at black rock right on the resort beach - bring your own equipment if you can as snorkel gear is $8/hour or $40/day, add on more if you want a life vest, beach is beautiful, swimming - ok size main pool with deep end that then connects to a winding river, pool isn't heated and there's only one hot tub, on grounds activities when you need a break from water - beanbag toss, mini golf and yard size connect four. Every night there is a cliff dive ceremony and the grounds in general are large and beautiful. Hotel rooms are average - we were in building six and had a nice ocean front view room - that building is farthest away, but has the nicest views, beds are small - definitely a small size full, bathroom is bigger, but no storage. Restaurants - two by the pool/beach - Mai tai bar and cliff bar with sandwiches and cocktails - note: drinks are expensive $8 beer, $11 cocktail, they do have a 24 ounce souvenir cup for $21, refills for $15. Black rock buffet breakfast has an expansive omelet station, fresh fruit, sausage/bacon, toast and other pastries - plan on $100 for family of four. They do have a new Sheraton lounge, but there's a fee for it - $75/day or $40/day for platinum/gold. The lounge has continental breakfast in the morning (toast/pastries, eggs, bacon, yogurt, cereal) and cocktails/appetizers in the evening (beer, wine, soda, one hot item and veggies and chips) Gift shop is small but has main essentials and beach/souvenir items. Resort is five minute walk from other restaurants and whalers village shops.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Tammy N
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. It's great to hear you had an enjoyable stay at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,485)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We had a cousins reunion and we had a wonderful time especially staying at the Sheraton Maui (October 2013! It is a beautiful resort, friendly staff and great food. I really enjoyed my lava flow at the pool bar!
I am return returning this May for our first Mother-Daughter trip and I can't wait to show my daughter the Sheraton and Maui!

Room Tip: We had a view room and it was beautiful!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

Aloha and mahalo for taking a moment to share your experience from your stay in October. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay and that you will be returning for a mother - daughter vacation in May. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have been going to Maui for 18 years. I am a SPG Gold Member and stayed at the Sheraton for the second year in a row after staying at the Westin the previous years. Upon arrival I was immediately upgraded from a Partial Ocean View to a full ocean view in Building 6. The view from the room was amazing and would been great a month earlier when the whales were more plentiful. We were on the 2nd floor and the only thing I didnt like about it was the fact the people on the first floor would come out of their rooms below on the lawn and be able to look right up at you sitting on your lanai. Also, if you are in Building 6 and have health issues, you dont want to stay here. It is a 10 minute walk up and over archways, up floors, across a rotunda, and down 8 floors to get out to the pool. I run everyday and was still winded from all of the walking. We had issues trying to access the gate to get into the parking lot and into the rooms. It took several tries to get the key to work. The first two days were spent trying to get the safe to work. Both days we had to wait on workers to fix it. Also the internet was not working one day so the front desk said I had to call the help desk, who then said they would see to fixing it which they never did. It just so happens that the guy who worked on the safe was able to make a phone call and have the internet restored for me. I'm paying a resort fee for this??? The workers here are very businesslike, not tourist friendly like they are at other resorts Ive stayed at (stay at Makena Beach and Golf Resort if you want to see tourist friendly workers). The bartenders at the outside pool bars really dont seem interested in converstaion like they do at the Westin. The pool servers were fairly clueless as what the bar or grill had to offer. One girl did wave our drink charge though when my wife helped her bus the tables because she was overwhelmed with customers. I asked a man delivering free newspapers to the rooms if I could take one from his pile on my way to the pool and he flat out told me no. That was nice. And when I went to rent snorkel gear for an hour session on our last day, the lady at the rental booth said she closed 5 minutes ago, and for me to comeback tomorrow. When I told her I was leaving that day, she again replied you have to come back tomorrow. Great customer service. Also, make sure you check your bill at the end of your stay. There were a few charges added that we didnt charge. Overall I like the expansiveness of the Sheraton. The pool is freezing but the beach and grounds are nice. Next year though I think I'm returning back to the Westin if for no other reason, I find the staff around the pools and bars to be much friendlier.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MrBodeen

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the location of our resort, but do apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced. Our guest's happiness is our top priority, so we truly appreciate your feedback and will review it with our management team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was my first time in Maui and am I glad I stayed at the Sheraton Maui. The staff is excellent from Evelyn at the front desk to Mack in the Restaurant. This is an oasis with in an oasis. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is terrific and the rooms are luxorious. We were in building number 3 and the views were spectacular. It is a beautiful hotel and the staff is not overbearing. You will relax here and take in Beautiful Maui. The only thing I would improve is that I would have pol attendent a tthe pool and require all guests to wear an arm bracelet so you know you are swimming with registered guests. Maui is a quiet place and this historic hotel overlooking the famous black rock mountain made the vacation. It is a first class hotel that know how to treat Platinum members.

Room Tip: Ask the front desk. They are very accomadating.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikefaud1

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for being a loyal SPG member. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I along with my two teenage step daughters stayed four nights this past week in a "Ohana" suite , room 1109 and it was a very nice room. One hiccup my wife noticed right away was there were no dresser drawers or cabinets anywhere in the room to unpack into. Four nights living out of a suit case for this price? We called the front desk and they delivered a chest of drawers to put the kids clothes in but most our clothes stayed in the suit case the whole time, be sides what could be hung up. I was a little disappointed with this. But other than that no complaints. The hotel itself, the grounds and beach where immaculate. Just a joy to experience. The food on site is pricey but you are paying for the location,so I expected that. We rented a Cabana on the beach every day and it was worth the cost. A great staging point for the family to hit the pool or go snorkeling with the turtles. We brought our own gear and that worked out well and saved a few bucks.We used the car valet/bell service everyday and they took great care of us from the day we arrived up to packing the rental car the day of departure. They truly did a wonderful job advising us on local places to go, see and eat. We enjoyed our relaxing time at the Sheraton Maui and will definitely be back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you and your family had an enjoyable stay in our Ohana Suite. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Was here for my honeymoon and had pretty high expectations as it was my first time on Maui. The Sheraton is a very nice hotel with very clean nice rooms on one of the best beaches on Maui. You can walk in and snorkel the reef right around the end of Black Rock where the coral and fish are awesome. We also saw a few passing sea turtles here and there! You will see beach goers from other hotels coming down to use this section of the beach.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Aloha and mahalo for taking a moment to share your feedback. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful honeymoon at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Had a few hotel options, but finally decided on the Sheraton Maui. Stayed for 4 nights and the location was great. The first day went snorkeling by Black Rock and it was fantastic (admittedly I am novice at snorkeling, but saw some wonderful fish and sea turtles come within feet -- beautiful and perfect for a first timer).

As an SPG platinum member I had requested a room upgrade, but they were no able to put me into a better room until the second night. It was worth moving to a room with a view of Black Rock overlooking the ground -- would recommend that you request that.

As SPG member the valet parking was free, but in truth the self-parking garage is very close and very convenient. Both the valet service and garage are very good so you have choices depending on what type of mood you are in.

We rented snorkeling gear from the Fariway Shop complex which was easy to get to using the free hotel trolley (https://thesnorkelstore.com/). The equipment was reasonably priced and the staff was very nice. Also visited Whalers Village which is a short walk and a very nice complex (expensive, but nice to visit) http://www.whalersvillage.com/visitor.htm.

The Hotel staff was very friendly and the grounds were in very good shape. The hotel does not look as fancy/modern as others on the strip, but the location is good and the grounds clean. Hope to go back and would certainly consider staying there again.

Room Tip: View of ocean and Black Rock
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ravi L

Aloha and mahalo for being a loyal SPG member. We are excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Experience Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!