“Very very nice,what more can I say.....”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed everything about our stay here recently.Just lovely to enjoy the view from our room overlooking stunning lawns and gardens to the pool and ocean.
It didn't take us long to slip into Maui time and relax.A great location though further from the airport than we had thought.Amazing sunset each evening taken in by the pool bar with a mai tai to die for.
Only stress we encountered was the stiff competition for a seat around the pool each day as people marked their place but didn't necessarily show for some time to use it.Perhaps more umbrellas and chairs and attention paid to those who left chairs marked but didn't use them.
All in all a lovely property in a beautiful location.

Room Tip: Room 3508 was a great room not too close to the lift with a lovely view towards the pool and beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JodyF
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Aloha and thank you for taking the time to share your experience and feedback from your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your relaxing stay. We appreciate your feedback about the pool chairs and will be sure to share it with our team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife, myself, and our 2 sons, ages 2 and 6 spent 5 days at the Sheraton Maui in July 2013. I found the staff very helpful and courteous. The breaskfast bufffet was wonderful. We ate the buffet for 5 days, and I never got bored. The fresh fruit was a treat. The best part of the resort is the amazing beach. My boys and I played on it everyday. My 6 year old had his first snorkling experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jonathan S
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay at our resort. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This property is very convenient to everything. The beach is your backyard. Whaler's Village is within walking distance where there are more places to eat. The only downside is everything closes by 10. We ordered pizza for delivery one night because nothing else was open. The beds are really comfortable, and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank xtinasf

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed the location of our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Wow, is how I want to start off. From the beginning till the end, the Sheraton Maui exceeded our expectations. We stayed from July 23 through July 30. At the end of my review, I will include the costs of our meals at the Sheraton and other place we went to and rate them and the activities.

Check in was a breeze. We arrived early (1:30 pm) and we were informed that our room wasn't going to be ready until 3 p.m., which I knew already since check in was not until 3. We were given two coupon booklets for this, which is something I was not expecting. Coupons for free drinks and discounted food while we waited at the pool sipping on cocktails, we were thrilled! Evelyn was the person who helped me, she was very gracious and informative, then she upgraded our room to ocean front, building 6! We left our bags with the bellman. The front desk called us little before 3 to inform us that our room was ready. We got our bags and the bellman drove our bags in a little golf cart to our room while we followed him in the car. The resort is big so it can be confusing, but the bellman took his time and showed us around.

We have 2 kids and they quickly picked up on how to get around the resort faster than we did. It took me and my husband a few times to figure it out, but once we did, no problem.

Pool was awesome, maids were awesome, concierge awesome. The resort was well kept, clean, and everyone was so helpful. They never ran out of towels like I read from other reviewers. I am an early riser and I would go out by the pool and put our belongs on the chairs and wait for the family to get out. My husband did complain about the internet cutting out on him, but why go to Maui to get on the internet! This didn't bother me.

They have computers for guest to use and to print out your boarding passes by the restaurant. The rooms were quiet, beds comfortable and plenty of pillows.

Yes, the food was expensive, but they give you huge portions so we ended splitting everything in half. (Me and my husband and then another plate for the kids.) Pool was warm, clean, and fun. Just what you want on a vacation. Not tons of screaming kids jumping in the pool. We took a walk to the Hyatt, which we almost stayed at, instead of the Sheraton. It was so busy with all the shops. Sheraton is more kick back. If you want busy, choose the Hyatt, if you want relaxing, choose the Sheraton. You have your own private parking if you are in building 6. You don't have to worry about parking. Things are expensive in Maui, but that is something that I expected. I'm from the Bay Area, and things are expensive here so I was expecting Maui to be expensive.

Here is what we did and what it cost us:

Day 1: checked in and relaxed, ate at Dukes. Cost of Dukes for 4 was about $125 and the food was not that great.

Day 2: Stayed at the pool and beach all day and ate at the Cliff Dive Bar for lunch. Cost for family of 4 to eat (1 hamburger and chicken sandwich and 2 drinks, $55. Split the meals and had 4 waters and 2 alcoholic beverages. Food was great and the sandwiches came with chips, we got full.
Ate dinner at Maui Fish and Pasta at Whalers Village. Great dinner paid $112, included dessert. We got a 50% discount on entrees because they didn't open until 5 pm and they gave us a coupon to wait around.

Day 3: Drove to the crater. Took us about 2 and half hours to get there. Beautiful and kids loved it. Ate at Ruth Chris Steakhouse in Lahainai. Expensive, but my husband and kids loved their meal, mine was ok. Cost was over $200 and we all got waters, except husband. He got an alcoholic beverage.

Day 4: Drove to Hana. Take your bug spray!!! We all got bit several times. Kind of ruined the trip because our legs were itching the remainder of the trip. Ate at some place on the way to the waterfalls. Great food and only paid $50.

Day 5: Booked the Hula Girl. I think we paid $360 for 4 of us. This did not include the price of food. You purchase food on the boat. Expensive, but worth it, food was delicious. Food cost us $120. Lucas is the cook, we met him and he cooks for celebrities. Sweetest guy.

Day 6: Kids went zip lining. Paid $180 for 2 kids by the plantation. They had a great time. Ate at the Outback, cost $90. Food was average.

Day 7: Went to town of Paia (hope I spelled this right) and then Flossie Storm hit! Storm that was suppose to be huge. We rushed back to hotel and no storm yet. Played in pool till about 6 and then it hit! Went to McDonalds. :(

Day 8: Helicopter ride: Purchase your tickets at Costco for $199 a person. The ride was spectacular! Then we had to catch plane home. :(

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank waikiki33020

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are excited to see how much you enjoyed your stay at our resort and on the island of Maui. We will be sure to share your kind words with our staff. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our beautiful resort again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

It is not as expensive as some of the adjacent resorts , still excellent location , as clean as any other resort and all the amenities . I think Sheraton overall is good value for money and this one was just excellent

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Gapluching

Aloha and mahalo for sharing your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found it to be at a great value. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Full disclosure - I have a problem with large multi national corporations Staff not the friendliest . Room was nice and the location of the resort is hard to beat but I will stay elsewhere on my next trip to Maui. Really. Anywhere else.
Camping even.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sean M

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It's nice to hear you like our location. We hope you will give our resort another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

It's clear from all these other reviewers that the Sheraton is capable of producing really memorable experiences for its guests. But then again, it's ranked #19 out of 28 on here, so maybe I am not just one of the outliers.

About me, I was on vacation with my girlfriend and booked with points for 5 nights. I'm a 7-year platinum, 550+ nights at Starwood properties in that timeframe. I've been to amazing SPG resorts in Cancun, Bali, Virgin Islands, Pattaya, and others.

Problems began at check-in. First, I noticed that everyone was greeted with leis upon arrival... except us. At this point, it was no big deal. Next, I was told by the front desk associate that I was a Gold member. I gently let them know I was Platinum to get the check-in points, at which point I was told "it's the same thing". At this point, I assumed that this was one of those resorts which doesn't really recognize status and not a suggestion that I should stay 25 nights per year instead of 100 nights per year. (In actuality, it should fully recognize SPG status.) Next, I was told that I was given a room with a double bed, at which point I told them I had booked a king bed. This apparently was a surprise, as it took over 10 minutes for me to get keys to a new room with a king bed.

Fine, things started off bumpy, but it's Hawaii, it was time to relax! Except... I was told that I had to drive up to my room. But since I had already valet'd the car, this meant I had to drag the luggage back out, wait in the line for the valet, and repack the car.

At least the drive was short. But after driving up to the building, I almost felt like I was being put out back. But I thought to myself.. okay, maybe it will at least be a great room - the front desk talked it up as the "highest category" room. Nope. Walking there I felt like I was put in the basement, having to take the elevator down to the bottom floor. Speaking of elevators...

To get from the room to the beach took THREE elevators. Directions: walk to elevator #1, take to third floor, walk to another building, take elevator #2 to 8th floor, walk to end of building, take elevator #3 to 1st floor. To get to the room to the lobby was even more complicated and long - we were literally at the farthest possible point from the lobby. What's even better is the fact that at any given time, some of the elevators would be out of service. At least we got a workout.

"Highest category" or not, I wanted something more convenient. So, walked alllll the way back to the lobby to request a change. Was told they'd check and give me a call back. I'm still waiting for that call.

Fast forward to the end of the trip, to the hour and a half I was locked out of my room and barely made it to the airport in time. Because of the long walk between my room and lobby, I was extremely careful in making sure I always had the key. Unfortunately this caution was useless because apparently keys stop working at 2 PM on the day you check out... except I had late check-out at 4 PM. So after the girlfriend and I made the trek from the beach to the room, we had to make the same trek and more back to the lobby in wet swimwear.

At the desk I was told that I needed ID to get a key... except my ID was locked in the room. Despite offering up a variety of other information, it was useless - frankly, this was okay, as the ID is a safety precaution... right? But isn't it kind of ridiculous that as an alternative, I can just call the hotel on my phone, add the name of a random person in the lobby to my reservation, then have them show their ID and get my key that way?

While this technically worked, the next problem was their machine stopped being able to issue keys. Looking back, I'm not sure if this was actually a problem, or if they were just trying to inconvenience me further, since everyone else around us got their keys just fine. At this point, I was told that they would only be able to let us into the room once instead of giving us a key. At first, the front desk offered to have a security guard drive us to the room. After waiting around for this to happen, we were told that we should just walk back to the room and a security guard was to meet us there. After walking back and we waited for 20 minutes with no one in sight. Nervous that we would miss our flight, we began to wander around the hotel to find a phone. Upon finding one, we called guest services who paged a security guard for us. It took him 5 minutes to get to our door. After asking him what took so long, he said that he just got the call and came as soon as he did. After explaining what happened, even he was shocked and suggested that I complain to management. This also makes me wonder… what happened to the initial security guard that the front desk promised to meet us…? Did they even bother to call…?

After frantically packing everything and showering, we finally got on the road. Halfway to the airport, I received a final parting shot: on the bill was a $5 room service charge, even though we never ordered anything or touched their minibar. A fitting end to a stay at the Sheraton Maui.

Other things that just roiled me:

- Extremely rude person at Ka'anapali Point. The hallway to my hotel room leads to this area, which is just a lawn where the Sheraton holds events. When walking to my room, I was accosted by a worker who literally stepped right in my way and said "You can't go this way." There's only one way to my room... how else am I supposed to get there?

- No one ever picks up the phone. Whether it was to call a taxi, order food, ask for the concierge, it was a total crapshoot as to whether or not anyone would pick up. Of course, this meant to get any answers, you would have to make the trek to the lobby. This also meant we never got to enjoy our complimentary champagne toast even though we tried to order it three separate nights.

- Woke up a few mornings to towel or maid carts entirely blocking our door or our hallway and no one in sight to move them.

- Some of the towels were disgusting... after unfolding a "fresh" towel on a beach chair, we noticed there were dark brown stains all over it. Ugh.

To be fair, I did like some things about the hotel:

- the location is great - everything you might need is within a 10 minute drive

- Black Rock is right there - if you want to go snorkeling, I recommend going to Boss Frog's, about a 5 minute drive away. You can rent snorkeling gear there for the whole week and it will cost less than renting from the Sheraton for a day. Think of it as renting off-mountain during ski season.

- the pool is nice – set up like a lazy river, but isn’t

- The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed is great

- I appreciated the VIP wristbands for towels… much better than towel cards

This experience was so different from my other Starwood stays that I even spent time to research the hotel. It turns out the problem might be the fact that Starwood doesn't own this property... instead, it's owned by a company called Kyoya Hotels and Resorts. Frankly, the next time I'm in Hawaii, I'll be staying at the Westin Maui.

Room Tip: Building 6 is 3 elevators away from the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank BillY728

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your story and feedback. It's regrettable to hear how disappointing your stay was. We apologize for that lack of customer service and the inconveniences you experienced. We will be reviewing your feedback with our management team and use it as a tool to better our services for future guests. Thank you for being a loyal SPG member and we hope you will give our resort another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

Guest Experience Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!