“Love it Here for the 3rd Time”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, OR
“Love it Here for the 3rd Time”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We have taken our kids to Maui 4 times and stayed at the Sheraton 3 times and the Westin once. We love the Sheraton. However, having had two other great rooms with great views then getting an "Ocean View Deluxe" that only had a tiny view if you stood at the end of the balcony was a disappointment. I believe this was room 2411. I was not happy but they changed us to a beautiful "Ocean View Deluxe" room the next day. We tend to eat breakfast and lunch in the room every day so we probably spend more time in our room than the normal person. That is why it was so important to me to have a nice room with a view. This is why we go to Hawaii.

Yes, as others mentioned the towel situation was not good in terms of wanting a towel around 4:00 and they had run out. I don't understand how that could not be better coordinated but it didn't ruin my trip.

The grounds are beautiful and it was full but never felt crowded, maybe on the beach.

We were also there when the alarm was pulled at 4:30 am. It is not fun waking up and running around the room trying to figure out where your clothes are. As another reviewer mentioned we didn't really hear what the problem was (probably a teenager pulling the alarm?) but we did receive a note under the door apologizing and a message left on the phone. I'm sure it could happen to anyone but it did give me a mini heart attack and I wondered if a Tsunami was coming.

I'm still missing Maui and the Sheraton. We love it and will return. It's not a high end hotel but definitely worth it for us to stay there.

Room Tip: We rented an umbrella and two chairs from Snorkel Bobs for $35 a week. We didn't have to spend...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank dazz5
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our front desk team was able to get you into a room of your liking. We apologize for the small inconveniences you experienced and will be sure to review them with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort for your next Maui vacation.

Guest Experience Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family (incl 3 adult kids) stayed for 5 days and loved the resort. Rooms were good, restaurants fine and several other restaurants and shops are within walking distance. Only oddity is the fitness centre which has ok equipment but is really hard to find , hidden away at the back of one of the buildings on an upper floor.

We'd stay here again without hesitation when we return to Maui.

Room Tip: Go for rooms with a view they are well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Woodstony00
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and the location of our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa.

We are a family, two adults in their early 30s with a 2.5 year old boy. We're from Australia and were looking to escape our winter here.

I was a little bit concerned after reading mixed reviews about the Sheraton in Maui but we used SPG points to book a suite and I am so pleased that we chose the hotel. We stayed 6 nights and wish we had stayed longer.

Our checkin was probably the worst experience, we had been awake for the best part of 34 hours and wanted an early check-in (requested when we booked). Unfortunately, it wasn't provided and we were told we would be called once our room was ready, we weren't. Eventually we were able to check in after 3pm.

We were assigned room 2305 which was a junior suite with an oceanview and pool view. The suite had two large rooms (one living and one bedroom), a walk in closet, a large bathroom and a large balcony with seats, table and a lounge. The decor was pleasant and I loved the size of the room as it meant our two year old wasn't cramped, we could store our luggage and stroller in the large cupboard and the view was lovely.

I think the room may have been refurbished recently which was great.

We found the service at the hotel great. The valet service was usually quick, the cleaners were fairly thorough and room service was fine.

A few people have commented that they couldn't get pool towels but we never had an issue. The pool was great fun with our son, it never seemed crowded although it was a bit cold at times.

The beach was lovely and we didn't find it too crowded.

We ate at Teppanyaki Dan which we found great, having said that we didn't pay for it, we were provided a voucher as part of the timeshare presentation we went to (be warned, if you get a message saying you have a gift that's the timeshare invitation). We had breakfast at the restaurant twice and were quite happy with that. Most days we just ate from the Starbucks cart and had breakfast and coffee on our balcony.

We visited the gym once and it seemed very well appointed. We didn't use the spa (we were very relaxed at the hotel so we didn't seem to need a treatment).

We loved our time at the resort.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mia28282828
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and your junior suite. We look forward to welcoming you back again for your next Maui vacation.

Katy, Texas

June 4-11, 2013

We spent our 25th wedding anniversary at this resort and it was absolutely fabulous. We would definitely stay here again. What is not to like about Kaanapali' beach!? The afternoon we arrived we were greeted by a large and beautiful rainbow in the West Maui mountains.

We stayed in room 6410 (Building 6) on top of Black Rock. We loved the private balcony and the views were simply fantastic!! While in Maui, we spent the majority of our time at the resort relaxing at the beach and pool. The snorkeling off of Black Rock was awesome. We didn't get to see any green sea turtles but many others did. We saw them from our balcony but unfortunately didn't see them while snorkeling. ( Snorkeling tip: Spray the inside of your mask with the solution at the equipment rental hut to keep in from fogging up. ) We went to the Luau one night and also went on a Trilogy Sunset Cruise. It was great that they picked us up right down the beach. The sail / cruise was awesome. Rainbows in the mountains and sunset over the ocean. What's not to like about that!

All interaction we had with the hotel staff was very positive. Very friendly and helpful. We found the entire resort grounds to be very clean and well kept. The only minor complaint we had was that one of the elevators was out of service a couple of times causing us to use the stairs (only one flight). Anyone wanting to stay in building 6 needs to understand that to go down the to beach and pool you must take up to 3 elevators to get there. We really thought it was no big deal (about a 5 minute trip) but some may not like it. We thought the views and privacy in building 6 more than made up for the "inconvenience". Many people don't even know how to get over to building 6 because it is somewhat secluded from the rest of the resort. Just what we wanted! The room was clean and comfortable but we didn't spend a lot of time there. It was really nice to sit on the balcony and enjoy the sunset. Tip: Most people probably don't know that there is a cool blowhole in the Black Rock cove that erupts about 20 feet. Best to see it at low tide.

The pool was always clean and inviting. To get the best chairs you need to go down early(7:30-8) to the towel exchange and trade in your cards for towels. One day we rented one of the beach Cabanas and enjoyed just relaxing on the beach. The $45 was worth it. We bought some food at Safeway for lunches and snacks. The Hula grill and Lelani's at Whaler's Village were good options for dinner. A short walk from the Sheraton. We had the early bird specials at both and they were very good. Fish tacos at Lelani's were really good. Mai Tai's were even better. Subway was a good economic choice for lunch. Be sure to get some Cinnamon rolls as well. It is just down the way from Subway.

We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Building 6 is awesome! Quiet and private. We would stay in room 6410 again. Get a higher floor (3...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I just spent 8 nights here for our honeymoon, and had an amazing time. Best location of all the hotels in Kaanapali in my opinion. The deluxe ocean view room was totally worth the extra money, and offers an incredible sunset every night if you feel like staying in and enjoying from the lanai. The beach gets extremely crowded, so we walked the extra few yards to the beach just north of black rock, which is MUCH quieter (highly recommend this for couples). The resort layout is a little odd and spread out, but you'll quickly get the hang of it and appreciate being removed from the chaos near the pool/beach walk area. Staff at the hotel were all very friendly and helpful. We didn't have a chance to book any activities before the trip, so we handed the concierge a list of 10 things we wanted to do and she booked everything for us within minutes.

Room Tip: Deluxe Ocean View rooms are worth the extra money for couples looking for peace & quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYGfan1
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed here for one week and had a great experience. We had stayed here 13 years ago and I think it was better this time around.

We upgraded for $75 more per night to a bigger room, Bldg 2, ocean view, nice walk to pool and close to parking garage. Great location for our family. The room was decent - not perfect, in need of a little touch-up work but not too shabby. Everything worked great and the beds were very comfortable!

The pool area is wonderful, albeit crowded at times. We got out there early so we found lounge chairs with no problem and even rented 2 cabanas one day (5,6) so we could have the peace of leaving the pool for short snorkel breaks and having loungers to return to! Well worth the money, in my opinion.

The breakfast buffet is fantastic! We got our trip through Costco travel, which included breakfast (normally $30 each). We filled up every morning and then never needed lunch. The Cliff Dive Bar is also yummy! Kids meals were VERY reasonable ($7 for Mahi sliders). We had the nachos, the skewers, the Mahi sandwiches, etc. Everything was awesome! The bar drinks were very expensive and mediocre at best - we stuck with canned beer after learning this.

Walking out to swim at Black Rock everyday is such a treat! It's why this property is so desirable, in my opinion. The turtles come to play everyday, there are plenty of beautiful fish and the water is super clear and warm for swimming (which was my favorite thing to do). The little waves are fun for the kids and the calm waters are good for mamas! Great place to be!

The staff was excellent, although we learned on our last day that they have a kids food program for $20/day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and no one ever told us about it. Our server at breakfast asked us why we didn't get it and we told her we didn't even know about it. She said the girl at check-in should have told us about it and apologized. Oh well. Now we know. We were a little disappointed, though. We sure could have used the financial break!

We look forward to returning to the Sheraton in the future. The valet/bell hops were WONDERFUL! All were really neat guys and very helpful/friendly. Luis from Chile was particularly great - thanks for the Ukulele tips for our son. The Lahaina Music Store was a great place to get a tuner and music for our future star!

Room Tip: Ask about the Kids food program - save yourselves some money! Wish we would have known about it! T...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank flossboss
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

us
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed for the weekend with some friends at this resort. Check in was pretty fast. Room was pretty nice inside. I got a partial ocean view and that meant just a small glimpse of the ocean. If I had known I wouldn't have bothered with a view at all. Save your money on the partial ocean view room. The lanai was tiny, barely enough room for one person to sit out there so I never did. Ate at both bars by the pool and at Black Rock Terrace. All of the dining and drinking experiences were great. Room service was also great. The two big gripes I have are with the pool staff. When I went down in the morning to grab a lounge chair, by the way get down there early, I just threw my own beach towel that I had brought with me and sat down to enjoy the morning view. After a little while I noticed a pool staff girl going around putting yellow wristbands on everyone. I was at the end of the second row she did. I watched her going up and down just placing these bands on everyone. When she got to me, first she asked if I was staying at the hotel. I answered that yes I was. Then she asked me for my room number, I gave her that.. She proceeded to look thru pages of papers trying to look me up. Kept flipping page after page, finally found my room number. Then she asked my name, I gave that. After all that I finally got my arm band. I have no problem with the hotel wanting to identify guests and keeping non guests out of the pool area, but I was the ONLY person she asked and looked up in her little pad of papers to verify they were staying here. I was embarrassed. I felt like everyone was looking at me to see if I would get kicked out. I figured because I had my own towel she thought I didn't belong.

The towel situation in ineffective and ridiculous. They give you towel cards to trade in for towels, then you get the cards back after you turn the towels back in. However they were gone for the day when I went to return my towels????? I hope I don't get charged the $15 per towel. There was however a laundry cart full of towels that anyone could have grabbed for free. Also if you just walk around the pool at 9:30 at night, you can pick up about 20 towels that were left sitting on lounges. It looks like the pool crew got off and after they left no one took care of the pool deck. It was a mess. Chairs all askew, towels all over the place, a boogie board in the middle of a walkway, drink glasses everywhere. Hopefully there wasn't alcohol left in those cups that a kid could get a hold of. I expected a lot more cleanliness and neatness for the caliber of this resort and for how much I was paying for a room. I actually felt embarrassed for Sheraton Hotels, because obviously this outside pool staff is not doing their resort any favors. I think you need to get rid of them and manage the pool yourselves. I stayed at the Westin down the road and their pool area was neat and tidy and clean at night.

I would stay here again because the grounds are beautiful. I loved the pool and the location of the resort. I only hope they would treat me better at the pool and clean the area up at night. That was huge disappointment.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank lae808
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for taking a moment to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our resort, but do apologize for the lack of customer service you experienced by our pool. We review your feedback with our team and follow up with our pool staff. We hope to welcome you back to our beautiful resort again soon.