“Great Hotel and Great Views”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Hershey, Pennsylvania
“Great Hotel and Great Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My friend and I stayed at the Sheraton in January. This was my first trip to Maui, however my friend had recommended it based on her previous trip to the island. The property was beautiful and clean. The daily breakfast was amazing! The fresh mango was my absolute favorite! The beach was a little crowded but we had a great stay and if I go back I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GoldenGraham232
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your first visit to Maui and your stay our beautiful resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Guest Experience Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,038)
  • Korean first
nyc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Fantastic grounds, flowers everywhere. Seemed very well maintained, especially considering it is a 50 year old hotel. The view from the 8th floor above black rock was easily the best on Kaanapali beach. Overall very pleased with the resort which offered clean (though basic) rooms. A few disapointments in the room: no bathrobe, very basic bathroom with poor lighting, no microwave (which would have helped heat up the leftovers stored in the fridge). However, the resort itself was lovely, the food at both beachside bars was excellent and reasonably priced (at first, a 16 dollar chicken sandwich feels like robbery, but then you realize a) it is excellent quality, b) comes with a terrific view of Lanai, c) allows you to eat poolside and d) is really only 3 or 4 dollars more expensive than the "cheap" diner (CJ's, pretty good for cheapish eats) a 1 min drive/10 min walk up at the fairway shops). Also, though the beach in front of blackrock can get crowded, this resort was much less "busy" than the Westin up the beach (we checked that out one afternoon) so if you're on a honeymoon, I think this is a better bet. Also, the resort is pretty much dead after 9pm, so you can have some very romantic evenings just walking around the grounds after dark.

One lingering compliant was the 30 dollar "resort fee" pays for basic wifi (it's another $16.99 a day if you want anything resembling the wifi at your home), and use of the resort itself (the pool? the gym (which was very clean and usually empty)? ping pong table?). It does not include tennis, or beach chairs (yes, yes, i know this is run by another company on the beach, blah blah). Best advice: buy some $15 dollar beach chairs in town, use them the entire trip, and "pay them forward" to another guest when you leave.

Other than that, it really was a nice hotel, with beautiful grounds, good food and drinks, and very nice people working there. Keep in mind, it's not the ritz, but it is a clean, safe and relaxing place to stay and enjoy yourself. Also, the view is really out-of-this-world.

Room Tip: Sunsets are gorgeous and the nightly sunset ceremony was a great way to connect with Hawaiian cultur...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank wacawaca
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay at our resort. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

My husband and I loved our stay in the Sheraton Maui hotel. My only basis was the photos I found on the hotel's website which sold me out to book our stay here. The actual place is just grand. The location is excellent. Our first Black Rock dinner (and the consecutive ones) was sumptuous. The staff are very courteous and very friendly. My husband said, there's really no need to rent a car to go anywhere, we could just have stayed in the hotel and we'll be happy. He wants us to come back to this hotel in the future ;)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

We just spent four nights here celebrating our silver wedding anniversary with my brother and his wife also visiting with us from England. Sadly due to a huge group from T-Mobile visiting the resort, we did not get our SPG Gold Elite upgrade to a better room but that's ok, we know it's on space availability only and Gabe at the reception desk did his best to help us. The hotel itself is great, the beach, bars and pool are terrific (although there was a stinky gas leak from a tiki torch by the pool bar when we arrived which I think got solved). The problem is with customer service inside the hotel. My boss ordered champagne, cheese and crackers for my husband and I as a silver wedding anniversary gift which was supposed to be waiting for us upon arrival, we never got it and never found out about it until we got home to Miami and he asked us what happened! Another friend in Palm Beach had sent us a wedding anniversary card and gift card that was supposed to be handed to us upon arrival, Jon one of the managers did not get it to us until the next day and our friend had to call multiple times to solve the problem and was very upset by the lack of service. The hotel management did send us a a couple of nice gifts to wish us well for our anniversary, which was appreciated, but of course I would have liked to have received my boss's gift which I never got! Another friend in Ft. Lauderdale called to send us something but said the lady she spoke to made it sound like she was a nuisance and she said she had a bad vibe about sending anything to us at the hotel. She ended up sending us something at the Royal Hawaiian in Oahu (where we also stayed) instead and said they were far more helpful. So there are issues at this hotel which is a shame as the hotel itself is very nice. To finish on a high note, the staff at the pool bar, especially the nice lady from Peru whose name I forgot were excellent! The Starbucks breakfast cart was also very good and had different specials each day and the hotel is walking distance to Whalers Village restaurants and shops (Go to Hula Grill - excellent) so it's conveniently located. I would still return here to stay again because the resort is so nice, but all this issues did somewhat marr our special celebration unfortunately.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank mwooduk
Aloha and mahalo for taking a moment to share your experience and feedback from your recent stay with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay at our resort, but do apologize for the inconveniences and lack of customer experience you experienced during your stay. We truly appreciate your feedback and will be addressing these issues with our team. We hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sheraton the week of May 13th. This was our first trip to Maui. I was not sure about the Sheraton because of some of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor. My wife and I enjoyed ourselves so much at this resort. It is absolutely beautiful there. The buildings, rooms, grounds, pool area, and beach are wonderful. The staff was very friendly and made our stay relaxing and comfortable. We were very pleased with the restaurants and bars at the Sheraton. We also dined at restaurants at the Whaler's Village and in Lahaina. The prices were reasonable and food was very good. We went shopping in the area and took a drive on the Road To Hana, both enjoyable and the scenery on the road was breath taking. We also took part in the Old Lahaina Luau and it was a great experience also.
We hope in the future that we can go back to Maui and stay at the Sheraton because they met all our expectations. I consider myself to be a pretty honest person and I can not imagine you would not be thrilled being at this resort. I read some reviews that were not very kind to the Sheraton, but seriously, if you were not happy here, you probably were looking for something to be wrong, or just in general, not a happy person.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank David J
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Aloha and mahalo for taking a moment to share your experience and kind words. We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our resort and the island of Maui. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beautiful resort in the future.

tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed for a week in January. Our 3rd time in Maui and 1st time at the Sheraton. This resort is fantastic! The breakfast buffet is a must! Expensive but well worth it.(we had it twice cause it was so good) The torch lighting ceremony at dusk was awesome. Would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank sunshineTucson
Aloha,

We are excited to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Rosville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in May 2013. We are SPG Platinum. Used points. We were upgraded to an ocean front in building 6. It is a little bit of a hike but we didn't mind the extra walking. May is a slower month in Maui. Each restaurant we went to on Front St we were able to get ocean front dining. The hotel is nice, clean. We didn't have any problems. The beach is perfect to swim, snorkel, boggie board right there in front. It really is on the perfect beach front. We will return. We declined our welcome points for continental breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family