“Great Location, Beautiful Property”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My fiancé and I very much enjoyed our recent week-long stay at the Sheraton Maui. We were constantly wowed by the beauty of the property and enjoyed that we could walk right up to Black Rock, one of Maui's top snorkeling spots. The rooms were spacious and clean, and even though we booked a resort-view room, we still had a great view of the ocean from our lanai. We also had delicious brunches and dinner at the hotel restaurant. The concierge helped is to book an outstanding whale watching sail.

Cost is the main reason that I give this hotel four out of five stars. We were able to afford this hotel only through a combination of SPG points and a post-Thanksgiving sale. Even after that, the $30/night resort fee is annoying, even if the other resorts also charge it. $30/person for brunch also seemed excessive, and a couple of times we walked to Whaler's Village for a cheaper alternative.

The pool is excellent compared to hotels in the rest of the world -- but in Ka'anapali, it seems par for the course, and there is too much dead space in it (e.g., no in-pool seating near the bars). That said, the pool is still huge, and the outdoor hot tub is a relaxing way to spend the evening. The barrage of calls from Starwoods representatives trying to get us to tour their properties was, frankly, irritating. The gym also could not be in a more out-of-the-way and non-scenic room -- although the equipment itself is extensive for a hotel. Finally, it would be nice to be given more than one beach towel per person at a time, and to be able to exchange them past 5:00 pm.

To be clear, we had a wonderful stay at the Sheraton Maui and would definitely consider returning. The above issues are simply areas for potential improvement.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank NYYankeesFan84
Write a ReviewReviews (4,517)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Maui Sheraton for the last night of our visit to Maui. It was something that I was looking forward to as we have enjoyed the beach and restaurants at this hotel before. Unfortunately, it was not the case. The rooms are clean and the grounds are quite pretty but the 40+ minutes standing at the reservation counter as I pleaded my case to a very indifferent agent was completely unacceptable.

I booked an advanced rate with a AAA discount. The rate should have been $331 per night for a standard hotel room. When I checked out they had double charged me for this basic hotel space. My new rate was $600+ per night. It was OUTRAGEOUS! I would never authorize this for a basic hotel room.

When I raised the concern with the agent at checkout she was very skeptical of me and was not very helpful. Clearly, nothing was going to happen to get this situation rectified while I worked through her so I escalated to the manager. His name is Kalani. After standing there for 40+ minutes trying to get this resolved FINALLY, the reservations group in Waikiki confirmed that I was telling the truth. It was terrible. This is the morning that I should be heading out to the airport and it was getting very closer to when we HAD to leave or we would miss our flight.

Meanwhile, the family checking out next to me was overcharged for all of their resort fees. Meaning that for every day they stayed they were being charged 2 resort fees. They had to wait about 20 minutes to get their situation resolved.

I would not leave until the situation was resolved because I felt they would not resolve it on their own. When reservations finally confirmed that INDEED I had been overcharged they took that off. When I asked Kalani what he could do to make up for this terrible treatment he said there was nothing he could do. I begged the question... your the manager and you can't do anything to make this situation right? He eventually took the resort fee off but did not do it on his own. It was only after I pressured him.

Overall, the resort was beautiful. The customer service was far below my expectations for a resort like this. I was quite disappointed in this overall experience and would caution others when booking online since it was on Sheraton's own website that I booked this room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Gigi514
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback. We apologize for the unpleasant experience while staying at our resort. We will be sure to review your feedback with our team and look into how this problem occurred so we can prevent it in the future. We hope you will consider our resort in the future and give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Wow! This is an amazing property. It takes your breath away.

When we checked in, the valet allowed us to leave our car in the circle while we checked in. When we returned to our car, he gave us each a lei. A real flower lei for me, and a beaded lei for my boyfriend.

Due to my boyfriend's Starwood Platinum status, we got upgraded to a HUGE suite on the 8th floor of building 5 facing the ocean. The room was amazing. The couch and sitting room with several chairs, and a walk out onto a nice balcony facing the water. A sink and mini fridge, as well as a microwave were also in the room. We had a huge bathroom with 2 sinks, a shower, and a tub. It also had a separate toilet room.

The staff was incredibly helpful. We got lost going to our room on the first day getting to building 5 from the parking lot is a little confusing), but two staff members both gave us helpful instructions on how we could find our room.

The wifi is complementary with the daily resort fee. Breakfast was not included, but with my boyfriend's Starwood platinum status we got the continental breakfast included when we checked in. The continental breakfast allowed us to get bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers (they ran out one of the days), fresh fruit, banana bread, pastries, coffee, and juice. Since the hotel didn't have a concierge lounge, it was well worth it!

Since the parking is also included as part of the resort fee, I would recommend renting a car to enjoy the island. However, if you don't or if you don't feel like driving, the Sheraton and Westin offer a shuttle that takes you into Lahaina each evening which leaves every hour. Lahaina had great shops and dining options. If you don't feel like getting in the car or the shuttle, the Whalers Village has shops and a couple (overpriced) restaurants, that are within a short walk from the property.

The hotel is an amazing property. We enjoyed the pool- plenty of lawn chairs, and the chairs had nice cushions. We didn't go onto the beach, but if that's what you're into, it's just a quick step out of the pool area onto the beach where there is plenty of space to lounge and enjoy yourself. If you like water sports, they appeared to be offering snuba courses in the pool each day.

The hotel had one of the best luaus in the area. They host them on Monday and Wednesday nights. We attended on one of the nights while we were on the property, and we definitely enjoyed the show. Tickets which include dinner are $105/person. We chose to do the cocktails only option, which allowed us to arrive around 6:30pm, drink cocktails and watch the show from 7-8pm for $37/person. Judging by the food we saw people finishing when we arrived, this seemed like a good choice (and for a fraction of the cost!). I would recommend this option, as this is how I would experience it again if I were to go back. The show was fun- don't forget your cameras!!

Overall, this was a memorable vacation, and this resort property was definitely a huge part of that. We hope to be back! Thanks, Sheraton!!

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank mskt729

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from your recent stay. We are happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed our property. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My partner and i stayed here for 6 nights and enjoyed every one of them thoroughly. We were upgraded to an ocean view room from a mountain view. We loved that we were able to hire snorkel sets from the hotel and swim in the beach right outside the hotel with tropical fish and even a turtle.
The rooms were spacious and clean and we had a great view.
We took advantage of the free shuttle that takes you to the other Starwood resorts and the short trip to Lahaina.
The resort is a short walk to Whalers Village where there are a number of shops and restaurants.
People were lovely at the Sheraton and very helpful

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LisaS213
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed here all last week and it is one of my top hotels I have been too. Much nicer than the Westin a few hotels down which I stayed 2 years ago. It’s my favorite hotel in Kannapali as I have stayed at a few others on the beach over there and this one tops the list. Its larger and very spread out which is nice. We had a great room (ocean front deluxe view) which sits on black rock. If you can upgrade to it or pay for it, it’s so worth it. It's a little far from the front desk and from the center of everything. But worth the walk when you check out the view you get from over there. The layout of the hotel is nice and the pool is a good size. The only thing is that the major complaint people I spoke with others at the hotel was that the pool water was colder than the ocean water which was true. Good food on the hotel grounds, but expensive which you can get more bang for your buck leaving the hotel. The shopping center whaler’s village in a few hotels down with good restaurants and shopping. Another great thing about this hotel is the swimming around black rock which you see tons of fish and swimming with the turtles (so much fun). Its whale season and every morning I woke up, I went onto the balcony of the room and whales are jumping out of the water left and right which was an awesome sight. One of the best times of the year to go to Hawaii. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and I will be back for sure.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jeremy O

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear you had such a wonderful stay at our resort. It's great you were able to enjoy the view and the whales from your Deluxe Ocean Front room on top of Black Rock. We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort again soon!

Mahalo

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've stayed at The Sheraton on Maui a few times over the past several years. It's on a gorgeous beach (Ka'anapali) right at Black Rock with great snorkeling and an easy walk to Whaler's Village. But it hasn't gotten the updates it now sorely needs, and you're really paying for the location. The facilities need a major overhaul.

My room (3431) was relatively clean. However, more than once I saw cockroaches in the hallways. There was some mold on grout in the shower. Rooms are small - very small. The sliding mirror doors on the closet repeatedly fell of their tracks and were hard to close. The air conditioning shut off during the night and the room got uncomfortably hot. The HDTV is so old that it doesn't have an HDMI input, so don't plan on watching anything from you laptop or iPad on the TV. WiFi is slow, furniture is dated.

The breakfast buffet prices are exorbitant, resort fee is now up to a ridiculous $30 a day, and self-parking spots are so small in the outdoor lot that it's almost impossible to get out of your car.

On the positive side, staff was friendly and accommodating (extra towels, late check-out, etc.). If you're not spending much time in the room or aren't that fussy about the size and quality of the rooms, then you won't mind The Sheraton. It really is on a great beach and great location, and if it weren't for that it would be at most a 3-star resort.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jack F

Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our location and your stay. We apologize for the downfalls you experienced and will be sure to share them with our team.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

If you'd like to have your wallet emptied faster than you anticipated, by all means take your meals at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. Breakfast for four was $156.00! Mixed drinks are watered down; lunches and dinners are obscenely priced. At check-in they probably should have asked us to give them all of our money right then and there. With so many places on Maui to choose from, we'll opt for other venues on our next trip. There are much better values to be had and you don't have to pay through the nose.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank ChefJimG
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback. We will be sure to share it with our operations and food and beverage teams.

Guest Experience Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
1 mi away
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!