“Birthday Trip”

Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Birthday Trip”
Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

I had never been to Maui and decided to come for my birthday. I booked the room before I looked at the reviews here and got worried, but my worries were laid to rest when I got there. The grounds and property were beautiful and well kept. The staff was friendly, especially the bell desk and valet. My room was in building 3 facing the tennis courts. It did have double beds, which are not my preference, but the room was large and very adequate. It was just like every other business hotel that I have stayed in. The room was clean and the shower was excellent. This is not a luxury hotel, so if you want A grade service, then don't stay here, but don't trash it. It is what it is. The beach was amazing and not very crowded (it was raining a bit)

The only reason that I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 is because I feel that the hotel needs better dining options on property and the double beds. The rooms are large enough to fit 2 queens and the chain should consider replacing the doubles.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Cathy H
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your birthday trip at our resort, and appreciate your honest feedback. We will be sure to share it with our team. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Guest Experience Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I loved our stay here. I often suggest this location to my friends. This was my second time back to Maui and my 3 hotel that I have stated at in this Whalers Village strip (shopping mall & restaurants). We booked our stay here using some points my husband travels often and is a platinum member, I believe. I have read others reviews and many speak about the lobby not being "grand"... Well, it isn't but how much time are you spending in the lobby? I don't find that truly important, but if you want or are expecting to be impressed by the lobby.... I'd lower your expectations.

We stayed in an ocean view suite on the first floor, and it was beautiful. The room was so large - would be a great stay for a family. There is a shower and a bathtub/shower, sleep sofa, and the main bedroom has pocket doors. There is a small patio as well for sunrises & sunsets. The toiletries are nice and I love that they give you aloe- always comes in handy, and is quite hard to pack. The room had a small fridge, coffee, and small counter space.

The breakfast buffet set up in the morning was more then ample. Since my husband has status we were granted cold items only at no charge, and we could upgrade to the hot items if we wanted like... waffles or omelets. We choose not to upgrade - we didn't see the reason and aren't huge breakfast ppl to begin with. The most we had to wait for a table at the breakfast buffet was about 10 minutes.

The grounds are kept up extremely well. Our maid service was excellent, no complaints there. The parking garage is easily accessible - and we didn't have many problems finding a spot.

The pool(s) are very clean and very well kept. My skin is the shade of a vampire - so I always need shade, and there wasn't any need to wake up early and scope out a spot near an umbrella. I call it umbrella wars - this hotel has ton's of space, it wasn't an issue for us. I also don't remember them being sticklers about towel cards either.

I really enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Blythe1202
Honolulu, HI
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa was an excellent choice for a business conference! Location was a perfect place to hold a conference especially when given free time to enjoy the pools and beach. Since hotel is the end of the beach walk it makes the beach area more exclusive and less crowded than being in the middle of beach access. The sand on the beach felt so silky and fabulous! The beach waters are perfect for older people and families with young children. You still need to be careful but beach front waters are gorgeous.
The rooms are comfortable with great bedding. For you ladies that put your make-up on your face in the bathroom, they actually have good lighting that is not so dim like many hotels that we have been to. Many times the bathrooms are beautiful but have horrible lighting! Save that dim lighting for the bedroom area. Each room has a breath taking view of the beach. Too many times you need to pay extra for a beach view!
The restaurant downstairs had the best selection for breakfast buffet. Yummy! Business conference event food at hotel was delicious, too. Great service from staff as well!
I would totally recommend this hotel. It is worth every cent!

Room Tip: Any room is great with a balcony and ocean view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank 808Chinagirl
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Maui is beautiful & picturesque, the resort itself is quite nice however, the rooms are quite standard (you must remember the resort is celebrating it's 50 year anniversary. Nevertheless, the location is fantastic & some nice bars however, the restaurants are overpriced and the hotel daily fees are a joke but you get that everywhere in the states ! Word of advise the pool is not solar heated and the water was freezing, I would suggest that you just sit on the waterproof bean bags in the pool or just walk across to the beach where the ocean was much warmer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank George956
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We apologize for the pool being a little cold, as we do not heat it and let the sunshine do the work. We hope you will return again to our beautiful property.

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I have been to Maui at leat a half dozen times over the past 10 years. We love Kaanapali area for its shopping and dining experience. Hyatt has been our choice but we decided to venture Sheraton this time. It was a mistake:the hotel ground is shabby, the pool is less than modest. Worst of all, housekeeping is dismal - our "deluxe ocean front room" is not cleaned until after 3pm (and we have to call a few times), numbers of towels given are inconsistent, robes are left scattered...
We originally reserved "ocean front room" but were talked into getting the more expensive room and we actually paid more for a less desirable room - it is further from the beach and the main building. Our room is at least 4 elevators away from the main lobby. Do not take the "deluxe ocean front room" if you are not prepared for an elevator fleet.
And we are going back to Hyatt if we are to stay at Kaanapali next time.

Room Tip: higher floors have better views. stay near the main building for convenience
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Robert O
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed here for four days in mid January for our honeymoon coming in from Oahu and upon arrival into our room, we noticed that there was a puddle of water in the bathroom. We had to call maintenance in to have one of the plumbing fixtures fixed so that it wouldn't leak. We then went to bed that night and woke up to a loud motor type noise that sounded like a lawn mower. I looked out the window thinking that it was strange that someone would be cutting the grass in the dark at 5:30 in the morning but turns out that the sound was coming from the air conditioner. We called down to the front desk twice and went down there once before they sent someone up there to check it out. When we returned to our room later that day, we heard the sound again so I called the front desk again. They said they would send someone but no one came so I went down to the front desk personally and discussed it with them. They had someone come up immediately and was there by the time I got back to the room. The maintenance guy said that there may have been air in the lines and that's what was making that noise but wasn't sure if it was something that could be fixed. He left and of course, the sound came back and they sent someone else up to take a look at it and he came to the same conclusion.

By this time, it was our last overnight day and we really didn't want to move since we were already settled into the room and didn't want to have to pack everything up just to have to unpack everything a day before we left. I spoke to the Guest Relations manager (Kalani) and he said that he would switch us to a suite which was a really nice room with a nice view of the lawn area and beach but the restroom also had a musty smell coming from it so it kind of took away from the niceness of the room. Not sure what it was but it sort of smelled like wet towels or something was stored in the bathrooms for a while. We had to sleep with the bathroom doors closed but it was a really nice and big suite that could fit a family for sure.
The GOOD part about the stay is that the place really is nice with a very nice courtyard and pool right off the beach. I guess how nice it was is expected considering how much we paid so I wouldn't have expected much less. Kalani was also very nice and willing to try to do things to please us and make things right. He took care of our resort fees ($30/day) for the four days that we were there due to the issues with the room and noises from the A/C. The resort fees did include internet access. There is also free self parking which we did but they also offer valet service. Everyone was really nice and very customer service oriented but just wish that the issue with the room could have been resolved sooner. With the exception of A/C noise, the hotel was nice along with the people servicing the hotel. Just be sure not to get the room that we did.

Other: The Luau show was nice but food was so so and they didn’t have steak as advertised. We wanted to snorkel at Blackrock but the water was too rough (especially for a beginner) while we were there and the water was fairly cold too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Vinhster
Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apologize for the inconveniences your experienced while staying at our resort. We are happy to hear that Kalani and our staff were able to accommodate your needs and help make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back to our beautiful resort again soon.

Sydney
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I selected it based on its location and the fact that it has a resort look (not high rise) and we were not disappointed. Swimming and snorkeling at the beach is excellent. I was even surprised to be bumped by a large turtle as I was standing in the water! We enjoyed the lunch options at the pool bars which include healthier choices but the prices are a little high. It is an easy walk to Whalers Village for shopping and other restaurants and we even tried the Tiki Grill at the hotel next door which is quite good. For a lighter breakfast there is a Starbucks cart near the lobby. My only (small) gripes are that some of the public areas look a little bit worn and the hotel only issues plastic cups in the rooms which reminded me of a motel. But overall the gardens, pool and beach more than make up for this.

Room Tip: If you can afford it a garden or ocean view would be best.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family