“Back to Black Rock”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed here several times. Staff is very helpful, but sometimes they are pretty busy. We did have a problem with someone actually trying to break in to our room, with the help of the staff, because they said they lost their key. They actually were using a long coat hanger to reach the handle, and when I pulled it under the door and jerked the door open they pretty much filled their pants. Staff actually said this was real, although I still wonder if someone was not just trying to get into a room when they thought no one would be around. Other than this experience the rates are fair, but don't expect to get away without paying the resort fee. Just wish they would up the rate and do away with this argument. Would stay again as the location is so good.

Room Tip: If you want to get on the ocean ask for the oldest section.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank LarryS769
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Aloha and thank you for your review. On behalf of the staff here at Sheraton Maui, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and sincerely apologize for the confusion in the room numbers which led to this incident. We have briefed our team about confirming all details of reservation, room number, and guest information prior to responding to these unusual types of situations.

Guest Experience Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,485)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I booked 7 nights with this hotel to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday, and had an excellent vacation due to the assistance of the pool side concierge Tony. We were discussing an issue with a rental car problem (no cars available on island; Maui invitational), and we were told Tony could fix anything; he had the resources. We engaged with Tony and he was able to fix our rental car issue, book all the activities that we were interested in, and sell my husband a great pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. The Hotel was great, the infinity pool was awesome, and the service Tony provide was excellent. We would recommend the hotel for a nice relaxing vacation, and thank Tony for making our vacation an excellent experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kristen_Schoffel
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Aloha,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our concierge was able to accommodate your every need. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again soon.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Let's just start by saying that if you have read any of my other reviews you know what a perfectionist I am. That being said, this hotel is probably fine by most standards - it is "standard" - the beach reminds me of a smaller Waikiki - strips of sad looking cinderblock buildings from the 50's - badly in need of an update. The ocean is of course beautiful and black rock is good for snorkling but not any better than right in front of the hotel at the Four Seasons Maui (see that review next - THAT is paradise!). After staying at The Four Seasons Maui for a week it was hard to come here. But, I knew this ahead of time and tried to adjust my, er, expectations.

1)Let's start by saying that when we needed to change our reservation while we were at The Four Seasons, we couldn't even get a hold of the front desk here at the Sheraton. No one even answered - on multiple tries. What? This continued to happen while we stayed at the resort. Try to get the Concierge? Good luck - was never able to.

2) The Resort Charge - $30/day per room. Since we have 2 rooms (lots of kids!) we had to pay almost $60/day (a slight discount being SPG members) for the privilege of being able to park our own car and what else? slow to non-existent internet! WOW! You can't even get a chair (note crummy plastic-y CHAIR) on the beach without paying. We had to pay $40 for the use of 2 beach chairs with a little covering over it. At 4:30 they came over and said "just to let you know we will be collecting the chairs at 5pm" - my husband responded "Will you be draining the ocean too?". The sun doesn't even set til 5:45 which is when they have the cliff diving ceremony but you have to give up your chair before that! Ridiculous! Add that to charges for snorkel gear, etc can really add up.

3)Even the towels - you have to present a "towel card" every time you want a towel - when we checked in they gave us 10 cards telling us if we lost the towels or cards it was a $15 charge per towel/card. So I told my husband "they just gave us a $150 liability!" What are the chances all these cards come back in a week? Slim. Plus, do you really want to stay at a resort where the type of people who go there are the ones who steal stacks of cheap beach towels? I don't. And yes, the towels are like small dollar store bath size towels, not even big enough for my 7 year old.

4)The Food - $30 breakfast buffet? My husband took our youngest and even he was disappointed. For Lenders frozen bagels and some sad fruit? UGH – I hate to be unfair again but the Four Seasons breakfast buffet was $35 with tons of hot entrees, meats, lox, Belgium waffles, gorgeous fruit, yogurt parfaits, multitudes for fresh baked scones, croissants, muffins, cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls,..need I go on?? Don’t eat here unless you have to – mediocre food at 5star prices.

5) The pool – OMG – those floating little bean bag things?? How old are those?? Can you say “Bacteria”??? Everyone lounging on those floats and when are they cleaned? And COLD! This pool is COLD. Seriously, the ocean is warmer. We came here because we thought the kids would like the pool. Incorrect. They HATED the pool. It is freezing, boring and dirty. The Jacuzzi was also broken part of the time we were there and it wasn’t hot at all when it was fixed!!! Much too small and hidden in this darkish dirty area – I was afraid to go in there…The lazy river feature of the pool isn’t the type that propels you along like in some Beaches or other resorts. It is just a maze of waterways that make it near impossible to keep track of your kids! At one point I was just praying they were still alive because I couldn’t find them.

6) The Beach. It is nice but there are much nicer ones. The chairs are cheap and you have to pay a fortune and get up early just to get one. The sand isn’t raked or cleaned so I kept finding “souvenirs” from beach goers past that left them behind – You know food trash, band aids, glass etc. Great. I also saw trash all around the sub-standard chairs at the pool that wasn’t picked up all day. PILES of trash – they are seriously understaffed.

7)Stand Up Paddle board lesson: ON THE SAND – We arrived bright and early to learn how to SUP – a “complimentary” lesson from the resort – To only find out that they don’t actually let you try it on the water. NO. They explain to you how to get up etc while on the sand! If you actually want to try the paddleboard, that is $35!! Ridiculous!

8)The Gym – OMG! Could it be any farther?? By the time you find it, you will be too exhausted to work out! It is a maze of multiple elevators and stairwells to find this place. It literally took my 15 minutes just to get there and I am not old! Granted the facilities were nice enough and I got in my run but they don’t even provide water! Just a bubbler and some cups (yuk) – surprised I didn’t have to pay for those!

9) Black Rock is fun but snorkeling was good many other places as well – Plus there were so many obnoxious non-guests on the beach that my husband almost got into a fight with some ya-hoo who was trying to RIDE one of the Sea Turtles…The hotel doesn’t do a good job of patrolling the area to make sure that there aren’t any trouble makers on the beach..there were quite a few. And this isn’t really something I want to deal with on my vacation- seriously.

10)Resort and SPA??? SPA??? There wasn’t even a sauna or steam room there! SPA? Where was the SPA??? Please tell me..

The Good Things:

1) For the most part the staff was nice. We loved Grace the Hula lady – lovely, kind and sweet! CJ the Snuba guy was great with the kids and very helpful. Most other staff were helpful and pleasant. Thank G-d!
2) Whaler’s Village is convenient for a bite for the kids or supplies from ABC store – just another place to walk to. Coach store there too!
3) My youngest learned to surf with a company at a kiosk next to the Sheraton. The Sheraton didn’t refer us to them instead told us to go to the Marriott which is much more expensive! We found them(Surf School??) on one of our walks and for 2 hr lesson was $70 – best deal on Maui!

Overall, this hotel is average. I wouldn’t pay to stay here unless you can use points (like we did) or get some screaming deal. The resort fees, food, awful pool, rowdy non-guests and not that attractive landscaping/surroundings make it not worth it.

Maui is amazing and there and much nicer places to stay! If you want real service, good food and gorgeous surroundings, don’t stay here.

Room Tip: Get an Ocean view room - Visit Grace who does the Hula show before the Cliff Diving Ceremony - she i...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank TheXtraPickyTraveler
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed in the resort for ten days with a great view of the ocean. The staff was great and specially they helped us to see a doctor asap when my wife was sick for the first five days of stay. Security staff, Mr Brown drove us to the doctor in a golf cart !!

The kitchen staff was great and made a special soup for my wife as per our request.

They were unbeleivable souls.

Food was excellant and the breakfast with the visitors (birds) in the morning was very pleasent.

There was a shuttle daily to the town and the drivers were very descriptive about all the places of interest.

Early morining sunrise through the mountains was beautiful as well as the sun set. Ample space around the resort for walks.

I recommend to anyone who likes to have a relaxed stay.

Room Tip: Room 4308 was great with a fabulous view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lakshman M
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Our 15-day trip included a 4-island tour. All our stays were in Sheratons and Maui's was absolutely beautiful. The cliff dive ceremonies every evening at 6:00 PM were awesome as was the luau held right on hotel property. Breathtaking views and a wonderful time with all the sights and visits to Lahaina!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The location is great. The southern portion of the Ka'anapali beach walk can get busy but the black rock cliffs provide a natural barrier so the Sheraton property does not see as much traffic as the rest of the hotels on this half of the walk. The pool is really nice but frankly, it’s too cold. This results in a constant barrage of people (mostly kids) trying to cram into the one somewhat small hot tub. Just heating the pool a little bit would keep the kids out of the whirlpool and allow the actual paying customers to relax. Honestly, if you are looking for a couples get away I would not recommend this hotel during any time when school is on break. We visited over Christmas break and the resort was packed with kids (we don’t have anything against kids but it was frustrating as we were constantly getting crowded out!) The bars do close a bit early but there are so many options in just a short walking distance that we didn’t really mind. The Mahi Mahi sandwich at the Cliff Dive bar was absolutely delicious! The breakfast was not bad but it was too expensive for just a so-so meal. The rooms are fine, a little bland but you are in Maui, you should be outside!!!

Room Tip: An ocean view room is well worth the upgrade!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karincent

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your feedback. We will be sure to review your comments with our team. We hope to welcome you back to our beautiful resort someday.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Our family had 1 room building 3, ground level, ocean view. The room was clean and ok for a family of 4. The bathroom was small and could use some basic maintenance such as new caulk around the tub.
The hotel grounds are beautiful. The beach is beautiful.
The pool would be great if it was a little warmer.
The breakfast buffet was good with many selections.
The shops and restaurants are a short walk from the resort.
All staff that we came into contact with were very courteous.
We would definitely go back.
I would recommend taking a beach blanket as there is a charge to use beach chairs on the beach and if you want a chair by the pool you have to get there early as people put their stuff on chairs to hold them until they are ready to use them.

Room Tip: We always ask for ground level so our girls can go out and play and we can watch them from the porch...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
Honua Kai Resort & Spa
#10 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!