“Great Resort & Excellent Staff”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Not only does the Sheraton Maui have a great location they also have exceptional staff! We got married here in October when my soon to be husband got incredibly sick and there were many last minute changes with our wedding to accommodate this. The Sheraton went above & beyond to help us, we even got personal calls from many of the staff making sure we were okay and asking if they can help. The resort is gorgeous and it has one of the best beaches in Maui! Make sure to ask for a room in Bldg 5 or 6 to get really great views. Also don't miss the snorkeling with turtles by black rock. We hope to come back and celebrate our wedding now that my husband has made a full recovery!

Fantastic place to have a wedding if you are considering a destination wedding in Maui!

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Building 5 or 6; it might be more of a walk but worth the view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear that our staff were friendly and accommodating. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to our beautiful resort again soon.

Guest Experience Team

Write a ReviewReviews (4,551)

Reviewed December 17, 2012

This was a tricky hotel to find but we were delighted that we eventually did! Gabe M., a very personable, friendly man, checked us in and proved to be a most valuable asset at this hotel for us. Valet service was great. The room was clean and tidy with a wonderful partial view of the ocean and property. The balcony could have been cleaner, as another mentioned the bird droppings on the furniture was not cleaned on a regular basis. They should really make that important to maintain. The bed was very comfortable. We had a handy frig and the layout of the room leant itself to relaxation. The bath was roomy with a separate water closet. Amenities were average. The robes and slippers were a nice touch. The beach location is the best at Black Rock. We enjoyed the cliff diving show. The pools were fun with big floats to use. The beach bars provided good service with delicious drinks and snacks. The indoor bar had friendly service too. The Whaler's village was just a quick walk away and great for breakfast and a fun hula show and live entertainment. Anyway, we had a couple of minor issues. Sydney Theodora had sent us correspondence, looking forward to our visit, etc. soon after we made the reservations. We never met her or saw the free tote when we arrived. We were a bit disappointed as we were celebrating our anniversary with this whole trip and it was never acknowledged during our stay. We also had an issue with getting a bottle of water from the front desk. A tall, slender woman with long dark hair and dark rimmed glasses acted as though we were being too frugal and more or less told us to go buy some at the store on the property. Really? A 25 cent bottle of water is a reason to be rude to a guest? Anyway, we stocked our own from the grocery in town. One night, our room key didn't work and security was called because it was a technical problem of some sort with the battery or something. This was a tad time consuming but was eventually resolved. We mentioned some of our concerns to Gabe before we left. He was so accomodating and apologetic about our disappointments that he gave us a credit on our account. We felt he was a model of good customer service. He more than made up for our insignificant treatment with his attention. We hope he does well with this company. They definitely need more staff like him! Maui is a fun island to visit and I would recommend this hotel only because of the location and Gabe.

1  Thank TerrapinTravelers
Reviewed December 16, 2012

The location to black rock is nice. Everything else was just okay. The staff was rude at best. We did upgrade to a full ocean view room (for 25 per night extra) and I am glad we did that after reading the other reviews. We were meeting friends and I wanted to make sure we were all together when we checked in and were told that would be the case. Our friends arrived on a late flight and got booked into building 6, which is just ridiculously far away and seriously yucky for such a nice looking resort (two double beds, really?)... they moved the next day but still.... I had confirmed we would all be together just 5 hours earlier. Prices were excessive for what we got (and I like nice -read expensive- hotels). Sheraton Waikiki is much much better and the staff seem to care if you have a good visit. Restaurant prices were ridiculous for quality. Our room was near an elevator and it took me half way through our trip to realise what the binging noise was that woke me up each morning. The wireless on login says it costs although they didn't charge us at the last minute (which is good because I would have argued as I am an SPG member). Even when we went to check out early there was no one at the desk so I called on the phone and got someone to come out. Then we were charged for 5 valet parkings when we only used 1 (over the allowed checkin valet) and I thought there was another error because of our over the telephone booking that told me all costs were included.... when I finally got it sorted the person at the desk was unbelievably rude and said "guess the computer is not so bad at math".... well you did try to charge me for 4 more valet trips than I used!!! I also really wanted to go paddle boarding, and I know they can't control the weather but when I went to rent boards at $35/hr the lady was extremely rude.... all she had to say was sorry the weather isn't good enough today. Yeah, we won't be back to this resort but thanks to our fantastic stay on Waikiki haven't given up on Sheraton.

Room Tip: ocean view, away from the elevators
4  Thank smitha135

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are saddened to hear about your unpleasant stay. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share it with our team.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived very late in the evening after a day of travelling. We were given a room on a higher floor, right next to the elevator which made a lot of noise throughout the night, keeping us awake. The next morning, we called to the front desk and got moved to another room....just three doors away, facing the same way (for the trouble, and lack of sleep, I would have expected to maybe be moved to suite with a better view). We waited for 45 minutes for the bellhop to come and move us over, which cut into our morning time. After that, our stay was nice, quiet and relaxing.
The rooms are ok, but nothing special in terms of decor.
DON'T bother with the "deal" of the breakfast in the hotel (unless you're really hungry!). It's supposed to be 2 for 1, but they charge an extra fee that jacks the price up nearly to what it would be for two to begin with (if that makes sense). It was good, though!
One of the pool bars was closed during our stay, which was disappointing.

Room Tip: Stay AWAY from the elevators if you can help it. They are loud. Maybe stay off the rock portion of...
1  Thank Sayla
Reviewed December 13, 2012

After extensive research I opted for this property over the Hyatt and Westin. I am SPG and Hyatt Platinum but the decider was Blackrock as it looked intriguing. Big mistake. The room in Bldg. 6 was the equivalent of a Sheraton in Rock Island or Peoria, IL. Plastic glasses, drab decor, zero special qualities in what is supposed to be a premier "resort experience." There was one good thing -- Mac the breakfast waiter got it right as he was most cordial, attentive and "up." Too bad the rest of the staff has little clue.

We were convinced that the problem at this property is poor executive management. From the housekeeping staff to security, to front desk to beach -- the level of indifference is astonishing. It's not that they're hostile or abrupt, it is very much as if no one has trained them in typical resort service. Every day was an adventure with housekeeping -- no washcloths, no coffee, 10 coffee service packets, extra towels, shortage of towels...ZERO cleaning on the lanai which was liberally covered with bird waste. I waited three days to see if they would wipe the droppings off the cushions on the lanai...I gave up and did it myself. When I asked for coffee, as none had been supplied, the gent who showed up simply handed them to me and walked off without uttering a word.

Where we did get plenty of interchange was from the peddlers of the timeshares and condos. Three consecutive days we had phone messages to drop by to pick up this or that, and this was after we told the desk in the lobby that we were not interested. They gave us a fabric bag but the handle tore off.

Building 6 is three elevator rides away from poolside and the trek becomes tedious quickly. Though the view of Lanai from the 5th floor is nice, it would be just as good from one of the main buildings and the death march would be eliminated. The rooms desperately need updating and $400++ a night is ridiculous. We went down to the Hyatt to compare and a corner king with a wraparound lanai and full ocean view was $75 less per night and the property is most attractive with a great open air center court with birds from parrots to penguins and flowers galore. The Sheraton has almost no flowers.

The dinner in the Sheraton was poor and expensive, the breakfast buffet has the appearance of a chow line in a college dorm. Presentation is on steam tables and the lighting is depressing. Happily the gentleman preparing omlettes is capable. Service at both meals except for the aforementioned Mac was indifferent. We had four days of unused breakfast certificates, preferring to purchase some pastries at a grocery in Lahaina.

The beach is a good one and it is entertaining watching divers off of blackrock. Snorkeling was good but the price is stiff and be aware that the beach has all kinds on it as all Hawaii beaches are public. The swimming pool is not heated so be prepared for a shock.

When we first saw our room, my wife looked at me and said "D." I would have left but she did not want to go through the hassle. It smelled musty and did not feel particularly clean...so...we spent a lot of time off property and out of the room as much as possible. We found Maui's attractions delightful, but after progressively worse accomodations at the islands Sheratons we will never stay at one again...Keahou was okay, Waikiki was a downer and this was really poor.

After reading responses to reviews from the hotel about passing on comments, I hope the guest services team informs senior management that they need to help employees perform with a proactive training regime across the board. Beware of those just going through the motions, this hotel is riddled with them and is not recommended.

One final note, we paid an additional $150 for a 6pm checkout. When we came back from the pool to pack and clear out, our keys did not work and it took us a half hour to get back in as the lone security guard equipped to let us in was "far away" according to the operator. Just one more example of poor training and execution.

Room Tip: Get in one of the main buildings facing the ocean...the trip for Building 6 is tedious
5  Thank anasoll

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are disappointed to hear about your unpleasant stay. Our guest's happiness is our top priority, so we truly appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We were here for just one night. It was fine, just really expensive. If there was a 3.5 star option I would award that.

The $30 resort fee is required even when staying on points. Our breakfast buffet, even with a 2 for 1 was over $100 (although it was really good). Rooms are smallish, which is expected and the grounds are beautiful (also expected).

My big peeve with them was the staffing. We got in late after a delayed flight and they had one valet and one desk person working. We waited about 20 - 25 minutes to check in which seems outrageous to me even at 11:30pm on a Friday. Seems like if they cross trained the valet things could go a lot smoother and faster.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank keatingfamily
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Aloha,

Mahalo for sharing your feedback. We are happy you had a nice stay, and apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Thank you for the tip about the late check-in and our front office staffing. We will be sure to share your suggestion with our team. We hope that you will give our resort another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

I had my doubts about this place when planning my trip, but in the end it was very sad to leave.

SERVICE AND LOCATION....When I initially had my stay booked, the room was an ocean view and I thought it included the breakfast buffet each day. Later I found out that it didn't. When I arrived, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade my ocean view to an ocean front view. The price of the upgrade was very reasonable when compared to the cost of the trip. They put me on the top floor of the building located on the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean. I would have paid 10 times as much for this view (don't tell them I told you this). I was in paradise for six glorious days.

The staff was very friendly and I could ask anyone my questions and got a great answer. Even the sales staff (timeshares) were friendly. They knew that I was not a person who could use their services, yet they made some great recommendations on what to do and where to eat. After leaving, it almost made me want to look at their other properties as they definitely delivered on their suggestions.

The weather for snorkeling wasn't the best, but it was very convenient to walk from the pool to the snorkeling area in less than 15 seconds. Even with the bad weather, you still saw amazing fish and didn't have to pay or tip anyone to take you there.

The buffet is good, but I would try to have it included in your room cost or join their Starwood club and receive 2 for 1 vouchers. At $30 a person, you can't eat enough to feel good about it, even with the awesome bread pudding w/vanilla sauce. There are plenty of other items on the menu other than the buffet to order and the view from the restaurant is priceless.

This place is huge and there are so many areas where you can be by yourselves and enjoy the views, have a drink or just watch the nightly cliff diving ceremony.

If I am fortunate enough to make it back to Maui, I will stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are comfortable with the price of the Ocean Front View, go for it. The only thing looking ou...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo