“Check-in staff giving 2 wrong rooms ruined the stay”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I had booked an ocean front room and when we arrived around 8pm we were taken on a very long walk around the back of the property to a dingy ground floor room overlooking the gardens. When I went back to the check-in to complain the check-in clerk had the cheek to tell me it was an upgrade and that if from somewhere on the patio we can see the ocean it qualifies as an ocean view. I said that may be true, but I could only just about see the ocean if I walked into the garden, and anyway I had booked and paid for an ocean front room (of which a picture is quite clear on their website which I showed to him). He agreed to change the room saying it was also an upgrade and on a higher floor, which I had requested, and that it was a much better room. So we moved all the luggage to the other room. It was a better room, and one could get a better view of the ocean from the balcony, but it was still not the ocean front room I had paid for but an ocean view room. By this stage we were too tired to argue and change rooms again, so we stayed there for the night, and complained next day to the manager, who changed us to a true ocean front room. It is of course very annoying doing it that way, as we had to pack everything up again and leave it for the staff to move as the new room had been occupied. All the moving rooms ruined the stay as instead of relaxing as soon as we got there, we couldn't really unpack until our second night. The rooms as such are modern, as are the bathrooms. As compensation we were not charged the resort fee. We had dinner in the Black Rock restaurant as we were too tired to go anywhere else, and that was a big mistake as it was AWFUL. We sent 2 fish portions back as they were overcooked and the food generally was overpriced. No wonder hardly anybody ate there. The gym lacked a variety of equipment and was basic. The snorkelling off Black Rock was good, but the equipment was expensive to hire (fins $7 per hour) and the woman serving the rentals was most unhelpful. The hotel is big and sprawls all over the place. If you want the gym or the spa and are the wrong end it will take you a while to get there. Personally the hotel is far too big and impersonal and if I wanted to stay in that area again I would stay somewhere else. I shall not stay there again.

Room Tip: If you wish to use the gym and/spa ask for room nearby otherwise it is a long walk. Insist on getti...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Josi S
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts with us. We apologize that our resort was not up to your standards. We truly appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share it with our team and use it as a tool to better ourselves. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

My recent stay at Sheraton Maui was perfect! Evelyn and Irene at check in, Ann at breakfast and the entire staff is wonderful. I wish all the pool bars stayed open later, but otherwise it was great! The Westside is the best side and I will be back to Sheraton Maui!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've stayed as some nice hotels but the Wall Centre was amazing. I was hear for a conference and had a room on the 25th floor with a view of the Pacific Ocean!! WOW !! The front door staff were really helpful, Jerry was there every morning with a smile. Location is perfect, why stay anywhere else. I had the best sleep I think I've ever had

Room Tip: It appears that all rooms have a good view but I loved the North Tower 25th floor, i think there is...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Canuck029
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed for a week during our honeymoon. The hotel is by far the best location on Kaanapali beach right in front of black rock where the best snorkeling is. We stayed in building 6 and think it has the best views of any building. We had unobstructed ocean views overlooking the islands of Molokai and Lanai in the distance. Food and drinks were expensive in the hotel but you are only a stroll down the beach walk to great local restaurants and happy hours.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank James9900

Aloha,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful honeymoon at our property. We wish you many years of happiness and hope to welcome the two of you back again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at the Sheraton Maui for four nights in mid October and it was lovely.

Had it cost less I would have no complaints but when you are paying a lot of money I think you are entitled to have higher expectations.

The room was very nice. We were on the ground floor of Bldg 6 which meant we had a very nice lawn on the top of Black Rock looking out to the other islands. The bathroom was very roomy and in good condition. As other reviews have said, it’s quite a long (and confusing) way back to the lobby and beach, etc but the walk through the breezeways is a really pleasant one with amazing views so no real complaints about that.

The beach at the hotel was definitely its best feature – plenty of room on the sand but not a long walk back to get drinks, etc. The pool was good too but we spent most of our time at the beach. We saw turtles up close before we’d even brought our snorkeling gear to the beach.

The location was good – it was easy and pleasant to walk to Whaler’s Village and all the other hotels. Also we made good use of the shuttle going to Lahaina for groceries (for breakfast & snacks) and some meals. The only complaint about the shuttle is that they don’t make it easy to know where to get it from – at any of the stops – it’s not signposted at all and the stops at the hotels aren’t even really lit at night.

The hotel restaurants were expensive so we didn’t try any of them. We did go to the Sheraton Link bar on our last night and it was disappointing. It was late when we were ready to eat so we decided to go there based on a sign right outside their door saying they had Happy Hour from 8.30pm – 10pm. When we got there (after wandering past several staff members several times trying to work out whether we were in the right place and whether we were supposed to seat ourselves, etc) and asked what the happy hour specials were they said it was actually 6 – 8 or something so we’d missed it. We asked if they’d honour it seeing as though it was advertised and even though they acted as though we were crazy and there had never been any such happy hour, they agreed (I just checked their website which still says 8.30 - 10!). My vegeburger was fine but my sister ordered the “Wok Crisp Calamari” which was anything but – it was literally soaking in oil – she ended up sending it back which I don't think she’s ever done anywhere before. Aside from the food, our waitress was fine but our table was in earshot of the bar and the girl working there was really rude to some of the customers. From what I could gather they asked to get the change from their bill and she scoffed at why they would want such a small amount back. I don’t think they spoke English but it was really unpleasant for us to hear and I’m sure they understood her tone.

It was a shame that this was our last night because all the other staff we encountered were very friendly, polite and helpful – particularly the people who drove the golf carts with our luggage and the staff at the mai tai bar.

Housekeeping in our room was a bit hit & miss. The area around the fridge was really dirty – we left the cabinet door open when we went out so housekeeping would see it but it was never cleaned throughout the whole trip. One day we were given no towels and had to call to ask for them. Some of the toiletries were replenished daily and others weren’t at all. Coffee was replenished when one was used but tea never was.

A few notes for the hotel – the Starwood Vacation thing was awkward. We had a message on our voicemail that they had a gift for us and we should come to see them. We ignored it assuming it was a timeshare pitch. Then there was another message the next day. I wasn’t all that keen to get the free gift and I knew we would definitely not be buying timeshare but it felt rude to keep ignoring their calls. So we went and the woman was very nice and we each got a re-usable shopping bag and we explained that as we live very far away we weren’t interested. But then there was another message the next day. It wasn’t rude or even pushy but just a bit uncomfortable.

I had downloaded the hotel’s app and registered our room number, etc and it was reasonably useful. Strangely though, ever since we checked out I’ve been getting several emails each day with great food & drink offers that we would’ve loved to have used while we were actually on our holiday! I’ve tried to turn them off but I keep getting them – it’s such a shame to see what we missed out on.

Overall I think if I went back to Maui I’d look into staying in a condo – just because of the lack of very good dining anywhere nearby. But if I were to go and stay in a hotel I’d have no problem choosing the Sheraton again. It’s a very nice hotel on a fantastic beach.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank jayarbee
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The good: The location is spectacular, beautiful landscaping, gorgeous beach, to the point where it feels surreal, and you don't believe you're really there. The beach (Kaanapali) is considered one of the best in Maui; it's some of the nicest sand I've seen since Australia-- fine, soft, feels great. The ocean's warm and minimal tide, so great for floating in or doing laps, and family friendly. There's a shuttle into town that's included in the cost of the hotel. Liked the laptop-sized room safe. The hotel's shop was actually cheaper than the stores in the town and had nicer things, too.

The bad: It was our honeymoon, we requested a King sized bed, and I'm a Starwood member. They gave us a room with two double beds. Yes, we got the room we wanted after the first night, but it was inconvenient. The rooms were nice enough (standard Sheraton) although a bit fewer amenities than usual. Zero information on sights to see, things to do. NOTHING! Not even info on how the towel cards worked (at check in, he told us nothing) or if internet is included in the hotel prices (we eventually figured out wifi was). That's not acceptable! Food and the like were expensive even by Sheraton standards (we eventually learned that everything is more expensive in Maui than usual, so it wasn't quite the rip-off we thought). The hotel did nothing for us, despite it being our honeymoon; while I'm sure they get dozens of honeymooners each week so it's nothing special for them, it is for us!

I find Sheraton hotels hit-or-miss. At that price, they should be consistently good. This one wasn't up there with the downtown Vancouver one, but was far ahead of the downtown Toronto property. Improve a few things to the standard they should have been at in the first place, and it would get an excellent rating.

Room Tip: In Building 3, the back side rooms actually have a gorgeous view of the mountains, the golf course...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlizaFromOttawa
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Aloha and Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience and feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our property and location as much as you did! We apologize about the bedding and inconveniences you experienced. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us so we can use it as a tool to better ourselves. We hope to welcome you back again sometime soon!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My experience with this hotel got off to a great start before I ever stepped through the doors. I was proactively e-mailed and "snail-mailed" from the resort asking me what I wanted/expected from my stay prior to my arrival, and if there was anything I needed. I thought that this was a great touch.

The hotel is located on the end of Ka'anapali Beach. Check-in was friendly and efficient. As a SPG Gold member, I was upgraded to an ocean-front room in the Moana tower. The tower was serene and beautiful, as was my room. Nothing like going to sleep with the sound of the waves every night. The bed was comfortable. Shower was okay, but lacked sufficient water pressure. House-keeping every day was prompt and done right. On the second day of my stay, I received a much appreciated welcome gift wrapped in a Hawaiian plant and consisting of various snacks. I also received a free tote bag at the hotels vacation desk. Although I didn't eat at the hotel, I did go to the bars around the pool. The bars feature various "aloha hours," which are a great bargain. The beach is excellent, though crowded.

This will now be my go-to-hotel in Maui, and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Fzedlach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#18 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!