“excellent with some shortcomings....”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Island, NY
“excellent with some shortcomings....”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I recently stayed at this property early August 2012. I did rather extensive research on where to stay as this was a vacation to celebrate my 25th anniversary as well as my wife's 50th birthday. Understand that my mom is a corporate travel agent and she booked the trip through a "luxury vacation company".
While looking for a special hotel in Maui I considered that I was NOT travelling with my kids and I wanted a more romantic place to stay.
After exhaustive research and given my price point I chose this property and after months of planning I can now give MY impression of this hotel.

Prior to the trip my mom sent emails to management to inform them of the nature of this trip and they did reply that we would "be taken care of"
We checked in and was greeted with a lei greeting (shell lai) and when we went to the front desk, the agent there told us we were upgraded to a GROUND LEVEL deluxe ocean view room. I questioned the ground level room and she assured me it was wonderful. My wife and I went to look at it (don't know why) and the room was nice but the view was of the grounds, no water and no privacy on the ground floor. Back to the front desk where were were shown in room in the same category we originally booked, small with a small lanai but pretty views of the pool and ocean.
When I asked the front desk agent about the communication my sales management prior to my arrival she did not even know who this person was. I asked about an upgrade to a deluxe ocean front room and she promptly told us that they were more expensive. So much for corporate consideration. We were given a deluxe ocean view in bldg 2 (Hale Lahaina).
The room was very nice with a beautiful view of the ocean to the left, easily viewed, and black rock in front. No view of the pool and this was just fine with me.
IN order to get to this nice room, I had to walk on the outside open air walk (nice) with a view of the kitchen facilities of the dump hotel next door (not nice). Certainly no planning with the construction of those towers which were built in 1997 as additions to the original 1963 hotel.

As to the property itself: Beautifully landscaped, spread out so it never appeared busy or crowded. The place was well kept and the staff for the most part was very accommodating and pleasant. The best part of this hotel is the location which is fantastic. Best part of the beach with fantastic snorkeling. The pool was clean and the water just right. Chairs the usual with people coming down at the break of dawn to place towels. Depending on who the "pool guy" was as far as removing towels of unoccupied chairs after an hour or so. We were able to get good lounge chairs at a reasonable time.
The spa was excellent, we had a couples massage which was tantalizing and very relaxing.

I cannot comment on the food as I would not eat at a resort restaurant with all of the fantastic places to eat in Maui.

As far as the housekeeping: We requested that change the duvet cover and the sheets be changed. The sheets were changed but the duvet cover was not until the 4th night.
Room was clean, but a sub par job for a 4 star resort. The bathroom soaps were not replenished. The shower was not cleaned thoroughly and we had to ASK the housekeeper to clean the mirror in the bathroom which had the usual spots from using the sink etc.

The hotel was nice and left a birthday cake in the room for my with on her birthday. It was thoughtful and we enjoyed it. The dirty dishes from the cake were removed by housekeeping the next morning and left outside the door on the floor. We went out for the day and returned early evening to see the plates still there outside the room. For a Days Inn I would expect this, not from a 4 star resort.
I went to the front desk to complain about all of the "small" issues with housekeeping and the plates etc and was directed to a manager who politely listened and took notes and apologized.
My wife and I went to a Luau and when we returned a few hours later...the plates were still outside my door. 12 hours after the room was cleaned.

My whole point of this review is that this hotel was beautiful with nice rooms nice well kept grounds, gorgeous beach, BUT lacking the attention to detail that would make it a truly 4 star resort. I did not let these things ruin my trip we had a fabulous time there BUT the sub-optimal customer service, from the room upgrade, to the level of housekeeping, to the dishes, these little things tarnished what would have been perfect.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank thew60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,077)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon July 2011( this is way over due), and had a wonderful stay! We were upgraded to a beautiful suite over looking black rock where we enjoyed daily room service on our balcony. I was very anxious about traveling to a place where there is so much fish/shellfish served because I have a severe allergy. The staff made me feel so comfortable ordering and took great care of my dietary needs. I would reccomend this hotel highly due to its fabulous location, excellent staff, and exceptional kitchen staff. Also, I feel that I should mention prior to booking my honeymoon we emailed several hotels about my allergy (including the four seasons) and the Sheraton was the first and only hotel to respond. Mahalo Sheraton of Maui!
Kelly

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank Kelly L
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Aloha,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are delighted to hear our staff was able to accommodate your special requests and make you feel comfortable. It's always great to hear positive feedback from honeymooners. We wish you many more years of happiness and would love to welcome the two of you back to our beautiful resort!

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We loved the Sheraton and would definitely recommend it. The grounds are stunning and very well kept. The pool is definitely a luxurious resort pool. The rooms were huge. When we told them we were on honeymoon we were upgraded to an ocean view room and were given complimentary champagne. The hotel has some great amenities, is right by some top-notch snorkeling, and it definitely had a best strip of beach of all the hotels on the Kaanapali coast. We walked around some of the other hotels in the area and some of them do have better pool areas but for the price I’d totally stay at the Sheraton again. We booked on hotwire and got a great rate. The staff was great - always friendly. We never ate at the restaurants because they were all expensive and no one particularly recommended them. Take a walk down to Whaler’s Village along the beach - they have some shopping and a food court with normally priced food.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank PlanningToGo_23
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Aloha,

Mahalo for sharing your experience. Congratulations! We are happy to hear you and your wife enjoyed your honeymoon at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. We would love to welcome you two back again!

niskayuna
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton this week. Our room in Building 3 was conveniently located, clean, and quite comfortable. There is great access both to the beach and to interesting snorkeling. Each day we saw new marine life in the water. It is best to bring your own snorkeling gear if this is an activity you enjoy as daily rentals can get costly. We ate at the two restaurants near the pool/beach area, both of which seemed pricey for the food quality. Totally enjoyed the luau. Whaler's Village is a short walk, and good for shopping/dining. Often there were waits to access concierge services so I would advise researching and booking any excursions before arrival so valuable beach time is not wasted.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Autumntraveller7
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We loved this hotel. It was clean, comfortable and friendly. We read some reviews about the Front Desk Staff not being friendly, and can say that our experience with them was very warm and kind. We had a late flight back to Texas (9:40 pm), and they allowed us to check out late, and then stay on the resort all day, and use the Fitness Center showers at the end of the day. Excellent customer service from Valet, Concierge, Front Desk, Housekeeping and Restaurant/Bar staff. Snorkeling right off the beach is wonderful, and a daily rental of a beach cabana made 10 hours on the sand comfortable. The whole family loved this place.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front rooms are very nice, and convenient to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Darryl C
Aloha and Mahalo for sharing your experience. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and found our staff to be warm and friendly. We look forward to welcoming your family back to our beautiful resort!

DCA
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I found very little to complain about at the Sheraton Maui. The location was great for walking to dinner and shopping, and driving to other beaches and Lahaina. The beach to the North of Black Rock was calm and quiet, on the Southern side more active, and both were very nice. The room was clean and comfortable, and the staff was all that you would expect.

I would warn that room “upgrades” are not always an upgrade. We booked an ocean-front room but could not guarantee a king bed vs. two doubles. On arrival, we were offered the latter. After some searching, an upgraded deluxe ocean-front with a king bed was offered, that we accepted. The downside to this upgrade, is that the deluxe room is on the ground level. As we had prepaid for one of the higher room categories and arrived shortly after check-in began, we were a bit disappointed that we had to decide between the bed and the balcony. The view from the patio chairs is obstructed by a fence, and being on the ground floor with people walking past occasionally, leaving the curtains open in the room would be a bit awkward.

The downside to the entire ocean-front building is that walking to other parts of the resort is a journey. To get to breakfast, you walk across a hallway, up an elevator, across another building, down an elevator, and then another walk across the resort. Getting to the front desk is more complicated. However, the ocean-front building has its own parking lot that makes getting to your car much quicker.

A free breakfast buffet was included as a bonus in our travel package. On paper, it was a huge savings, but being so close to Whaler’s Village, we would’ve eaten elsewhere for less had we not gotten the breakfast vouchers.

I would recommend the Sheraton Maui, but if I were to return, I would choose an ocean-view, or partial ocean view room in a building closer to the lobby, and avoid the ground floor.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor.
Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MartyMcSuperFly
Aloha,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our resort and its surroundings. We apologize that you weren't happy with your room upgrade and felt like you had to choose between bedding or view. Your feedback is valued and will be shared with our management team. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hotel was very accommodating and we had a lovely room. The bed was very comfy. Picturesque. The view from our room wasn't great, we looked down on the parking lot. Not a bad walk to the whalers museum and shops. We didn't eat much at the hotel other than breakfast was expensive and we would rather spend our money at a better location outside the hotel for that price. The staff were very friendly and we had a very relaxing stay. There is a variety of beach seating, some among the fauna of their landscaping if you want an escape where you can hear the beach but not be crowded by the people. We took a whale watching tour set up through the hotel and we were very pleased. Lots of sightings and several very close.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business