“One Of My Two Favorites On Maui - Best Value/Bang for Buck/All Around Choice”

Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
GreenLeadersBronze level
Cool
“One Of My Two Favorites On Maui - Best Value/Bang for Buck/All Around Choice”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is one in a series of seven reviews for seven hotels and resorts I stayed at during a recent trip to Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) in the month of May 2012. This is part of a continuing series of my impressions and experiences staying at various hotels and resorts while traveling to attend concerts worldwide. This review is for the Sheraton in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii. I have around 100 photos on my site.

Property: Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Location: Lahaina, Maui (Hawaii)
Address: 2605 Kaanapali Pkwy, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761
Phone: (866) 716-8109
Website: www.sheraton-maui.com
Room Type/Class: Ocean View (Room 2408)
Date: May 17-18, 2012
Booking Source: Direct
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 [Note: Score is totally subjective based on price, location, and comparison to "like" properties within same area and price range]

Of the seven properties I stayed at with this trip, Sheraton is one of two I’d vacationed at previously. In fact, the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa is actually the first resort I’d ever stayed at with my first trip to Maui (and any Hawaiian island) back in the late 1990s. It really hasn’t changed much at all over the years, but I’d still count it as one of my two favorite properties on the island. It is very comfortable, service has always been top notch, it has incredible views from the common areas and some rooms, and has one of the to best beach areas on the island – the famous Black Rock.

Sheraton offers both valet parking and self parking (and the self parking can be very convenient, with several lots serving multiple buildings. The valet parking area is spacious and attention is prompt.

Check-in was smooth and easy, and as noted, their customer service is very good. One can’t help but to soak in the views from the upper lobby area, as it is just a fantastic view of both the rear of the property (with pools and other amenities) as well as the ocean, beach, and Black Rock.

With this stay, I had an ocean view room in a building on the opposite side of where Black Rock resides.

While it is becoming an older property, it is not dated. The room is pretty standard but well-sized for one or two and very comfortable. This room had a balcony off a sliding door at the far end of the property, with an ocean view.

The room included a small desk adjacent to the dresser and television. Also included was a small digital safe and an empty refrigerator. I would characterize the bathroom as unspectacular, but since it is a property that has been around for a while, they just weren’t sized very large back circa the build date, and maybe in comparison to newer properties. But, I have found personally that the room itself, when staying on Maui, is secondary to the location of the property, it’s orientation and closeness to the beach and ocean, and similar considerations.

For me, the biggest draw for this property are the grounds and the (public) beach area. The grounds are gorgeous and well maintained, and invite exploration. There are a few different restaurants, and a staffed beach activities hut that offer things to do in and around the property (much at added cost).

The beach is one of my two favorites on the island, the other being beachfront at the Four Seasons in Wailea. Comparing the two, you get much bigger waves and more more substantial snorkeling at Sheraton, while the Four Seasons is calmer and warmer.

Black Rock is well-renowned for being one of the best snorkel spots on the island. With this stay, sitting in a cabana, some distance from the water, I saw not one, not two, but three times in which a giant turtle was swimming along the shoreline – close enough that I could stand on the sand and take amazing photos, so just imagine what you see from the vantage point of snorkeling within the water.

A definite “must do” at Sheraton is to take at least one day of renting a beachside cabana (charge with tax for covered two seater was $46.87 for the day). It is just an awesome beach, and well worth it, and having a short walk to your room is awesome. They will tag your rented cabana, so you can come and go all day without concern of someone taking it over.

The only meal I ate with my one night stay at the property with this visit was the morning buffet. It was fine, but absolutely paled in comparison to the same at the Four Seasons, which I had the morning before. If I had to rate them on a 10 point scale, I would give the Four Seasons a 10, and the Sheraton a 7. Both are pricey – full buffet at the Four Seasons was around $38 (including 20% tip) and Sheraton was around $28 (including 20% tip – tipping optional but I just don’t remember and my final bill doesn’t break down, but just to give you some idea).

The Sheraton features really nice wandering pools and lots of seating/lounging around these areas.

It is a bit unfair to compare the Sheraton directly with the Four Seasons, as the latter is double or more the nightly cost, but they are my two favorite properties on the island, so hard to not compare and contrast.

With all the hotels and resorts I’ve stayed at on Maui (maybe a dozen), I’d rank the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa as both the best value and the best bang for the buck. It really can’t be beat when measured in those terms, and I’d readily recommend it to anyone I know going to visit the island, whether younger, older, singles, families, honeymooners… it really is just very versatile and can meet the needs of any who love Maui.

I know that I will return again some day, and really look forward to another stay.

Room Tip: Basically a choice between views and different costs, so comes down to how much you want to pay extr...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Rock-Subculture

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,061)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

The grounds are beautiful. The hotel is right on the beach and the property is beautifully landscaped with small ponds, palm trees, waterfalls, and flowers. It looks like a tropical oasis. The ocean front room we stayed in had an amazing view of the grounds, the pool, and the ocean. In the morning you could see straight across the ocean to the nearby island. The hotel is all open air, including the hallways, and there is a constant breeze throughout. The room was spacious, clean and modern. If this review were only of the property, it would get 5 stars. The staff however is entirely unhelpful. The breakfast is ok but certainly not worth the $27.95 per person price tag. They price the a la cart items so high that you are basically forced to order the set price buffet. For the breakfast, we usually had to wait 10-15 minutes each morning to be seated and it was never clear why because there was always plenty of open tables. Overall, I thought the staff was the main drawback here as they seemed to go out of their way not to be helpful and the main reason why this Sheraton is not a high-end resort. If you do stay here, I had a one hour massage by the beach/pool and it was the best massage I have ever had. The masseuse was great and the location (right by the water with the breeze and ocean sound) was incredibly relaxing. Finally, the resort charges a $25 daily resort fee which is simply a way to increase the room rate without alerting you to it up front - at the time of reservation. They say the fee is for the wifi internet but the only wifi is in the lobby and not in the rooms. It also des parking but that's only useful if you rent a car. So basically the room rates are $25 more per night than advertised.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank valeri004
GuestExperienceTeam, Manager at Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Aloha,

We are delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear about the lack of customer service from some of the employees, and we will be sure to follow up. We hope to welcome you to our beatiful resort again soon.

Kearneysville, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed May 25, 2012 via mobile

Very nice resort. The rooms are a little dated, but the grounds are well kept and the sunset cliff dive is a nice feature.

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Cliff C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We originally visited this hotel in 1979 and were a bit concerned that it might not have kept up with the times, but management has made sure that this hotel has remained a premier property in Maui. From our ocean front room on Black Rock we had great views of whales breaching, sea turtle swimming and sunsets on the ocean. We also could watch the sunset cliff dive on Black Rock as well as the views down Kaanapali Beach.

For dining we had some excellent meals at the Black Rock, lunches at the Cliff Dive Bar as well as a great room service dinner on our lanai.

For activities, the pool area is great, especially swimming the river and enjoying the jacuzzi. I was also able to scuba dive right from the beach and the snorkeling was also great.

Room Tip: The extra money for a full ocean view is worth it.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stone13
Aloha,

We are so happy to hear you had another wonderful stay with us here at the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa. Thank you for sharing your experience. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy all that we have to offer.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Reviewed May 24, 2012

My whole family loved staying at this hotel! It's right on beautiful Kaanapali beach and in walking distance to great shops and restaurants. The beach provided the perfect backdrop for our family portraits session with Maui Maka Photography. Working with those girls was a major highlight of our trip. They have great energy and a unique eye for catching those special moments. We learned that Maka actually means "eye" in Hawaiian and those girls sure do have an artistic eye when it comes to photography. Those beach portraits are a treasured keepsake of our Hawaiian memories. Thanks Maui Maka! We will definitely stay at this hotel again on our next Maui vacation.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Issaquah, Washington, USA
Reviewed May 24, 2012

always a favorite! lovely property on Kaanapali beach, next to black rock and right on the end of the only beach walk in Maui, which leads you on a wonderful walk oceanside to many other hotels and Whaler's Village, with its many shops and restaurants. The service at the Sheraton is always top notch, and it is a perfect resort for honeymooners, or people who want the convenience of the area, but a little more quiet than the other resorts along the walk. We have stayed here at least 10 times, and at all of the other resorts, but this is our absolute favorite! If you can manage it, upon checkin, see if you can get a discount for one of the junior suites - we have done this many times, for a modest fee, and it has a separate bedroom/living room and it is FABULOUS!

Room Tip: we like the rooms (junior suites) in the left wing. they are open to a large lawn area, as well as h...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank monicajohns
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. It's great to hear how much you love staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

South Bay area, Ca
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We stayed here for a week at the end of April and it was pretty great. We had a nice room with an ocean view and balcony. One evening while watching the sunset, we saw a pod of dolphins swim by us pretty close to shore. The room had an empty mini fridge, which was handy for stocking up on snacks, drinks, and leftovers. There was wifi in the room (the website says it’s only in the lobby but the hotel has since upgraded). No iPod dock, but hopefully soon. The pool area was nice, and we were always able to find some lounge chairs with shade. The snorkeling at Black rock right off the shore is quite good—we saw a massive turtle. The bars made good drinks and had friendly staff. We didn’t eat at any of the restaurants. We were going to have dinner one night, but there was a 20-30 minute wait even though the restaurant was half empty. The wait was because they didn’t have enough staff, which seemed to indicate to me that they hadn’t scheduled properly. We also went to the luau at the Sheraton, which was a bit corny but entertaining. The food was actually very good, and drinks were included. The hotel is in a good location, within walking distance of Whaler’s Village where we ate most of our meals. If we were going back to Kaanapali, I’d stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CaliforniaLew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#13 of 32 in Lahaina
Aston at The Whaler on Kaanapali Beach
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!