“Great stay, be smart”

Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Seattle, Washington
“Great stay, be smart”
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We just got back from a 6 night stay at the Westin and had a wonderful time. I traveled with my husband, 10 month son and my parents. We asked and received connecting rooms which were very clean (my son is a crawler so I really mean clean) and well appointed with granite countertops, nice beds, sheets, TV, shower, fridge, etc. We had an 11th floor room with "Garden View" which was this great mountain and valley and a little water view and the sunrise was spectacular. I read this tripadvisor site the night before our trip so I was nervous. Here are some tips:

-Travel & stay in a hotel in Sept (after Labor Day) or May; the hotel was calm and quiet and the pool was never busy or packed. People do generally get up early and start hanging at the pool by 10am so we would put our magazines down on the way to breakfast.
-This hotel was great for young kids. My son sat with us in a highchair at every resturant, even Tropica and he wasnt the only little one there. They treated him like a prince.
-Rent a car and visit the Safeway and/or ABC markets to get breakfast and lunch/snack supplies. Eating at the hotel for breakfast or lunch is like eating at the airport- overpriced and somewhat disappointing. Example- a small side of pineapple at the coffee bar was $7 and around the corner at the ABC mini-mart I got one for $3. You can also get milk, yogurt, other fresh fruit, pool toys, beach towels, beach umbrellas!
-If you travel with a baby or toddler, use the alarm clock for white noise. My son never woke up once during a nap if there was a slammed door down the hall or a when we were taking a shower.
-Good resturants: Hula Grill for most things, Aloha Mixed Grill, was good and fairly priced and great view at sunset, Kimos too was good. Tropica was good too but very pricey. In general after we got too full eating too much the first day we split meals which left us much more satisfied and less worried about prices.
-They bill you $20 service fee per night to cover parking, water, gym fee, etc. One thing they dont tell you outright is you also get a free 4x6 photo from a great prof photographer but you have to sign up days ahead of time for your 20 min slot. we got some of the best pictures of our son ever!
-The Luau at the Westin was good but the food was great. I was not planning on going but my parents bought 4 tickets a suprise. The food was really amazing. Very fresh, very good but warning its $100/ticket. We had the very back table and still had a great time.
-For a good family beach with calm waters where your kids can frolick and you can all snorkle go to Hapalua Beach near Nappili Kai hotel. The hotel concierge will show you on a map. Its less than 10 min drive.
-We got a great rate at Orbitz for 6 nights and got $50 in vouchers for 2 for breakfast buffet every day plus our $20 service fee covered. I would look there first before you book. My parents got a good rate without breakfast from travelocity.

Downside:
-The beach. Its beautiful to look at but very, very steep. I would not feel comfortable letting any children- young or old- go in even with parental supervision. Its a great beach to sunbathe and cool off for an adult.
-To get connecting rooms we had to get two full size beds instead of a king. Needless to say this was not a spacious as our king at home.
-Dont buy an adult drink at the pool, or do so with the understanding you will pay $10 for most any drink after tip. Even for a Corona. Wait until happy hour! Or buy some beer at the ABC store and keep it in your fridge and have your own happy hour.
-There is NO BABY POOL so dont bother looking. Invest in a floating boat or swimmies. The water is 4 feet everywhere. This worked fine for us. The Westin is thinking about building a dedicated kid area like the Marriot or Hyatt but I dont think its happening anytime soon.
-Dont rent two chairs and an umbrella for $25/day. Its crazy. Go walk to the ABC store and buy a $15 umbrella and blanket and use it every day. Its not a reserved beach you can sit anywhere you want!
-Finally, it was only 2 years ago I was on my honeymoon and even though this place is very beautiful, it is a very family friendly resort and that means kids yelling down the hall ready to go to the pool at 8am and all the rest. I would not reccomend this to someone looking for a quiet retreat from the world.

I hope this was helpful.

• Liked — Views, Pool, Beachfront, Walk to Resturants and Shopping
  • Disliked — Small Rooms, Expensive Food in Hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
16 Thank SeattleHotMomma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Discovery Bay, California
Reviewed September 6, 2007

I see that others who have stayed recently had the same issues that we did - overcrowded areas, rude staff, overpriced food and beverages and small, outdated rooms.
For our 5 year anniversary, my husband and I went to Maui, where we got married 5 years ago, and then came back for our one year anniversary. The hotel seems to have stagnated over the past few years with no updates or upgrades and the experience was NOTHING that I have experienced from other Starwood Properties.
I got a package deal from Starwood for $795 for 5 nights, which is a great deal for anywhere on the island. But, we would have paid more to stay in a calm, romantic environment. Or at least one with a staff that was not rude.
Our 6 year old neice was part of our group and when she went to get a lei (they were out hanging to be easily placed on arriving guests - but not us) one of the people in the lobby (bell boy? valet? who knows..) yelled at her. It was totally embarrasing.
The woman that checked us in was so unpleasant and placed us in a double room "as I requested". At no time did I request this, and when I told her we were there on our anniversary, she said "good for you - but you requested 2 beds". Really? that is how we are treated as Starwood gold members?
At least someone came to put the beds together that night. But the headboards were not moved, so there was this huge gap and the pillows fell between the wall and the bed within 5 minutes.
I could go on, but the other reviews seem to cover everything. I will say that our last night in Maui we ended up staying an extra night, so we checked into the Hyatt. From the moment we got there and proceeded to the front desk, we looked at each other with that look - we instantly knew we should have been here the entire stay. The room was georgous, the staff delightful and attentive, and check out was even a breeze. Next time, it's the Hyatt. Sorry Starwood - you lost a customer here.

• Liked — the pool and central location in Kaanapali
  • Disliked — the staff, the prices and the crowded poorly laid out property
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank KJSONIT
Dallas, TX
Reviewed September 5, 2007

If you are a fan of Westin hotels, I don't think you will be disappointed. This was a well-managed place with helpful staff and largely followed the standards I've come to expect at Westin hotels.

Our room was up to date with granite countertops in the bathroom/bar area and a flat panel TV. We did talk to one person on the management staff who indicated that our tower (Ocean Tower) had recently been remodeled and that the other tower was scheduled to be remodeled in the next year. I suspect that some of the negative reviews could be based on which tower folks stayed. For the standard room rate, I can certainly understand how there would be disappointment at an out of date room.

A few notes:
- the grounds are beautiful, but it is crowded. Occupancy stays above 90% year round. Pool chairs have to be grabbed VERY early in the day if you want a good spot (or spot at all). This did not bother us too much, but if you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, this might not be the place. Those not solely concerned about the traffic, or have kids - no worries. Everything is still clean and beautiful.
- Amenities are high. Morning coffee is over $4!!!! However, prices are high all over the island, so considering hotels always charge more, I think that this is more reflective of the locale.
- Housekeeping/maintance/bellhop and other services keep up remarkably well, despite the traffic
- has all the usual good stuff....heavenly bed & shower, Westin ambiance, great service, etc.
- Parking is FREE. And, if the lot is full, valet becomes FREE
- Concierges are plentiful and extremely helpful
- HEAVY emphasis on the Villas (timeshare property down the street). We received several perks for attending a free sales presentation. Overall, I gave up the time (advertised as 90 minutes, but took longer), because of the perks, so can't complain too hard. However, all the concierges try and sign you up for the sales demo and the pitch is pretty hard. Our sales agent was pleasant and helpful, but when the manager came in at the end to give us the hard sell, it started feeling a bit distasteful. I'm a loyal Starwood customer and don't need the "hard sell" treatment. The Manager seemed disappointed and even put off after we finally convinced her that we would not buy that day. A little too much for me. OK, but the program is cool if you can afford it.
- Restaurants are OK. We weren't disappointed as the environment is great. Price is very high and food is good, but not top notch. Eat there for the environment, but plan on getting out for fine dining, if you are so inclined.

Overall, this is a good place and I will stay again if back on the island.

• Liked — Westin Experience
  • Disliked — Too Busy
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank SteveinDallas
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2007

We stay at Westin and Starwood hotels in general very often. Finally having a few days to vacation rather than travel for business, we chose the Westin in Maui because the pictures on the website looked great. The hotel is nice, and the staff are in general very accomodating, concierge service is excellent. The hotel used to be a Japanese hotel so the rooms are quite small. As a Starwood gold member, we were upgraded to a larger room, but this shouldn't be considered the norm. In addition, the hotel is very in need of a complete renovation. The rooms are worn, the bed is not the same caliber as the "expected" heavenly bed, and the heavenly shower is a bad Y splitter with 2 shower heads that are positioned so low that I had to duck to wash my hair. Restaurants are very over priced considering right next to the hotel Whaler's village ( a small outdoor mall) offers various other restaurants and 3 miles away there is the town of Lahaina with many more restaurants. The pool area is OK, there are 5 small sized pools with a couple of water falls, but again, very out dated. The adult pool has very limited seating and the other pools are VERY family friendly. We enjoyed ourselves because we were in Maui and the hotel is nice, but we did expect more. It is unfortunate that there isn't a "standard" level of quality when booking a Westin, they really range from the high end to the OK. It was explained to us that even though the property has 760 rooms, it is one of the highest grossing Westin hotels with an average 98% occupancy rate at all times. I guess you can see Starwood's priorities when charging $400 for a room that as long as they are selling out, there is no need to renovate.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank seekay03
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I'm a platinum starwood member so frequently stay at Westins and other Starwood properties. I was expecting much more but this was probably my most disappointing Westin experience. We had a corner suite with amazing views but the room was run down - I've been told the renovations are beginning Sept '07. Furniture was beat-up / broken, dusty, bedding smelled like bad body order (had housekeeping replace blanket/comforter immediately), high-speed internet hardly worked, shower was as small as a cruise ship with no shelf for products (shampoo bottle on the floor but I believe regular rooms have a shower/tub and not the separate stand straight shower). Check-in was 2-hours late and only after multiple visits to the platinum check-in desk - no call on my mobile as promised. The concierge attempts to get you into a timeshare demonstration after helping you with your reservations/activities. If you want a relaxing Hawaii vacation you probably don't want to stay in the crowded, over developed Kaanapali area. Lastly, the $20 resort fee which pays for the non-working internet, access to the healthclub/steam/sauna (included as a platinum anyway) and parking does not even include chairs at the beach.

• Liked — The views and sunsets from the room were outstanding
  • Disliked — Hotel is dated and croweded Kaanapali
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank paul8292
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Maui from June 3rd thru June 15th. We stay at this hotel almost yearly, participated in the Maui Marathon 2 years and were also married there 15 years ago. This was the first year that we felt that we'd never return. The hotel is getting quite run down and rooms very shoddy. The worst part was the absolute armlock they put on you to buy a timeshare! We have always declined but this year, due to the expense of the hotel, we decided to attend a sales presentation to get a $100 hotel credit. We were told maximum 2 hours. We were pressured for over 4 hours. The concierge, Yvonne, was very friendly when we were going to attend. Afterward, when she found out we didn't purchase, her whole demeanor changed and she became quite curt & rude. The sales person was the same way. He'd see us in the halls afterward and give us dagger looks. Not a friendly environment. Especially after so many years of loyalty to one hotel! We don't plan on ever returning. This year's experience left a very bad taste in our mouth. It's all about sales at this hotel. Steer clear if you want a true Hawaiian get away!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — High Pressure Sales Tactics
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank LoyalMauiVisitor
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 29, 2007

We just returned from Maui where we spent 6 days at The Westin. Our experience was mixed. This is a very large, very busy, high rise hotel. The common areas are bustling and crowded at all hours of the day and night. My opinion is that the infrastructure is not adequate to keep up with the number of rooms (meaning guests) in the hotel. For example, the self parking lot fills up and you have to valet park your car. This service is free if self parking is full, but then you are forced to wait for the valets to get your car for you - not an easy task considering the cars are stacked to maximize the number of cars in the lot. The wait can be up to 20 minutes during prime time - definitely call for your car a half hour before you want it. The line at the coffee bar is 15 minutes long in the morning. And by the way, I paid $50 for 2 bagels, a yogurt, a banana, a bottle of OJ, a muffin, and precut fruit one morning. We waited for elevators all the time. The worst part, however, is the pool area. The Westin has done a good job of cramming a pool lounge into every possible nook or cranny of the large and lovely pool area. Even so, there was not a chair to be had between the hours of 8AM and 4PM every day of my stay. And unless you are willing to get up with the sun, forget about a chair under an umbrella. These are reserved by resourceful early risers by 6:15AM, despite the hotel's policy against it. Being on east coast time, I watched from my balcony as guests dropped towels, books, and pool toys on rows of chairs at 6AM then walked back into the hotel. It was very disappointing as my kids wanted to spend more time at the pool, but there was no place to sit! Other reviewers have written about the rooms. The rooms are small, but clean, comfortable, and laid out well. I had no trouble storing 4 suitcases full of stuff into the dresser/armoire. So while the rooms aren't spacious, they are clean and comfortable. The service was good, especially considering the density of the hotel. My recommendation is that if you are looking for a romantic, quiet, restful property, look elsewhere. But if you want a nice beach, a fun pool, and a location convenient to food and shopping, The Westin will meet your needs.

• Liked — Convenient location, Starwood points, beach
  • Disliked — No chairs at pool area, general congestion at the property
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank travel_a_lot000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!