5,667 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolocean viewblack swanself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishabc storean umbrellafree shuttlean upgrade
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the past 2 years and have loved it. I am not sure what the problem was this time but it was a major disappointment all around. The room was dirty, cleaning staff was horrid ( I use to be a maid in a large hotel) and had total attitude. We asked the woman to come back because our son was napping, she got annoyed and said she had to leave at 3 pm. I said ok then leave... I mean really how is that my problem. The next day we had a do not disturb card in the door (again napping child) and she knocked on the door. I was livid. Then she did a terrible job cleaning. The carpets were nasty sticky.
The restaurant staff was so slow we sat there for 6 minutes and asked someone to get our waitress who had Been standing at the bar waiting for her drinks for at least 3 minutes, she looked right at us and did not move... We waited another minute and walked out. We walked out of the bar 3 times from lousy service.
One day the bellman Aaron literally stuck his empty cart in our elevator as the doors were closing even though there was another one right across the way open and empty. It was a snotty rude move. I don't know what has happened there, it just felt like the staff are all cranky and unhappy.
Lastly, getting a seat at the pool is going into mortal combat. Good luck with that.
We have loved this hotel and have been repeat guests for a long time but our experience was so bad all around we will be trying a new spot.
Oh, one good spot, the spa, best pedicure ever.

The restaurant

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Mattman08
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I travel frequently and admit I must be spoiled. I knew when I booked this hotel that the rooms would be tight. (Two double beds) We had 4 adults in our room and it was stressful to say the least. No place to put anything, and we constantly had to pick up just so we could relax. I don't think it was possible to fit a rollaway in the room so my two adult children took turns sleeping on the floor. As it was, we payed $500/night for the room. Thank God we had a balcony overlooking the parking lot (mountain view). It was the only peace and quiet we found at the hotel the entire week. The rooms overlooking the pool/ocean had to be loud and had no privacy at all. Honestly I thought summer was a slow time to visit (off season) and I thought the crowds would be light. I was seriously wrong on this one. Someone mentioned the parking lot. I prayed everytime we pulled in that the lot was full so the valet could park the jeep for free, as the spaces were barely large enough for the smallest of vehicles. I did figure out if you want a bunch of extra towels just go down to the left of the valet area. They have a huge supply of them and gave them away freely. This was great for going to the beaches or day trips and of course when we returned we swapped them for clean ones as we constantly ran out of them in our room.

If you wanted to relax by the pool you had to get down there by 7 AM to place a towel out there. What a joke. Good thing I didn't care about lying by a pool when the South Pacific was perfect and beckoning!! We met a lovely family the first day that gave us their boogie boards as they were flying home that day. We assured them we would pass them on to another family when we left as well, and it was fun choosing whom we would gift them to that last day:)

Everything at the hotel felt like a scam to sell you something. No I am not interested in going to a presentation for your property so I could get a credit for the hotel. The free photo I was promised was a scam to get us to buy a package. The hotel is beautiful so take your own photo and save the time and hassle. The food is very overpriced but then again this is Hawaii and everything is overpriced. I did find a great place in downtown Lahaina called Boss Frogs that rented everything you could use on your trip for less than half the cost of most everything they try to sell you on Kaanapali beach. (Rentals of surfboards, snorkel equipment, golf clubs, etc.) This was the best deal in town.

The spa was overpriced and nothing to write home about. Lovely as it was, it was the low point of our trip. Kind of a let down. We had massages in cabanas by the beach. It was unnerving having hundreds of people walking by you while you are half dressed getting a massage... For some reason I had envisioned considerably more privacy than what we encountered...

We are gold members and were told we would get upgraded when we arrived if available, but nothing was available. Figures. No lei greeting either, but we got some shell leis another day so no big deal. All in all I would say the front desk was virtually no help whatsoever during our trip. I get better service out of hotels that only charge you $100/night. They must not be hurting for business...

Overall, my adult children enjoyed the trip and the hotel so I would say it was a nice vacation. However, I would never give my business to this hotel again. I prefer to be more catered to instead of looked at as one of the masses. It reminded me of Disney during peak season. It lost its appeal because it was so crowded you got no attention, and at the prices we paid I would expect a lot more.

Anyone can come to the pool, even though I'm sure it is frowned upon. No one was checking to see if you were a hotel guest or not. I did get a wristband one day but it annoyed me and I removed it immediately. Nobody noticed or cared. I used the slides a few times with no wristband and they never checked.

If I come back to Hawaii, I will do things completely different next time.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
CraigAnderson, General Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2010

Aloha rc_westin – Mahalo for taking the time to communicate your honest feedback on trip advisor. I’m glad to hear your adult children enjoyed their time with us, but am so sorry to hear that your experience with us did not meet your expectations. While our rooms are cozy, it sounds as though you (like most who come to Maui) enjoyed being outside and swimming in the beautiful warm pacific ocean. I’m surprised and disappointed to hear about the service you experienced with our front office team and wristband policies on the pool deck but nonetheless will be personally following up to ensure this does not continue to happen. Again, my sincerest apologies for your experience. The information you share is never comfortable to hear, but always important as it allows us the opportunity to specifically improve particular services within the hotel. With aloha, Craig.

Reviewed August 8, 2010

Amazing Location! Gorgeous Lobby!
The pools are fantastic and the slides are SO FUN! Caution: The pool area was crowded. Reserve your chair by 7am if you want one.
Great dining located next door at the Whaler's Village. (Cane and Taro has 50% off EVERYTHING on certain days- highly recommend!)
Walk down to the Blackrock for incredible snorkling.
We loved it at the Westin!

For those traveling with strollers- the Westin's free shuttle into Lahaina does not allow strollers unless they are ultra basic umbrella strollers. The city bus leaves from next door Whaler's Village and has the same route for $1 per person and it allows strollers... much cheaper than renting a car.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2010

we are here right now, first time this westin. and we are preferred starwood members and go westin always. not here, never again. preferred guests with ocean view? what a joke that is. our preferred room is next to an elevator, the ocean to the extreme right. the personal concierge emailed in advance to introduce himself and make himself available to our needs, and then never responded - disappeared for 4 days, re-emerging to call us in the room at 6 in the morning. he likes to surf and has been the source of never ending jokes about when the surf must be up. nice touch, twice in a row the early calls awaking us. we hung up on him and he called back at that early hour. impossible to get a seat at a pool unless you are out there to reserve at 7 in the morning. there is no shade to speak of---everything is in the sun. the adult pool away from the kids totally reserved up--ppl leave towels to reserve then go somewhere else i suppose--impossible to seek any shade. and just too many people. despite 5 pools, no shade--this is really hard to believe. it is like the word 'cabana' is not in their vocabulary. also the lounge chairs are all about 6 inches apart from each other. they are crammed in together as if designed to eliminate privacy--everywhere--this is not the place to have a relaxing, comfortable time at poolside. we still have a few days here, and we will stay for the rest of it. the beds are nice as advertised, room service nice, service acceptable. all fees like everywhere is added on---these ppl must have seen the spirit airlines commercials, because they have taken their marketing cues to heart. i have lots of nice memories from past hawaiian trips, but not this one. will not be returning to this westin.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank terrence1955
CraigAnderson, General Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Aloha terrence1955- Thank you for sharing your honest feedback on trip advisor. I am surprised and disappointed to read your candid review about our concierge service and your pool experience. It is unfortunate that I will not have the opportunity to personally assist in making sure your experience with us leaves you feeling renewed, as I’m sure when you see this post you will be back home. With that said, your comments have been shared with our department managers to ensure corrective measures are taken in the areas mentioned. Lastly, thank you for mentioning our comfortable Heavenly beds and recognizing our Room Service department. We do hope you enjoyed everything the beautiful island of Maui has to offer. With Aloha, Craig.

Reviewed August 6, 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Westin Maui. GiGi, our housekeeping staff member, treated us like family and really made us feel that she cared about how our visit went. Chris, the bartender at the Beach Pool, had great stories about surfing and the island. The lobby is gorgeous - waterfalls, flamingos, parrots, koi; the pools are lovely; the Beach Bar has good food and drinks; and best of all you are steps from the beach and next to Whaler's Village, several restaurants, and a short walk to snorkeling at Black Rock. The only drawback: They need more deck chairs around the pool. It was very competitive in the morning. But all in all, a wonderful spot.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
vbravo, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2010

Aloha AggieGirl89- Thank you for your review and taking the time to personally recognize Gigi for providing compassionate service and for mentioning Chris at our Adult Pool Bar, we are fortunate to have them along with our many associates who spread their aloha and make The Westin Maui Resort & Spa the place “Where Heaven and Aloha Meet”™ . Again, mahalo for your kind words and hope to welcome you back soon.