“Miscommunication on Maui”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Sunnyvale, California
“Miscommunication on Maui”
Reviewed July 2, 2010

I am the type of person who calls and does internet searches constantly, so I’m not usually caught off guard on vacations. Everything started with a room mishap. I was told I would get a “King Suite” room from the 800 reservations operator, but when we arrived at noon on our scheduled day of arrival, we were given a single room with a king bed. That wasn’t going to work for our family of four so after talking with the front desk, we were moved to a room with two doubles and a single sofa bed. I have a boy and a girl and they are too old to be sleeping together so my daughter got stuck with the sofa bed that was literally 24 inches wide and 5’8” long (we measured). There is no way an adult could sleep on this. We asked for another comforter to make the “bed” more comfortable and were told there would be a $300 deposit required that they would refund if we didn’t take it home with us. What? I didn’t have to put a deposit down on the other two beds… After finally tracking down the night manager, at 9pm, we were told that they would fix our room situation the next day. Surprisingly, they did and we were VERY pleased! Still there was a lack of service and a lack of information that haunted us our entire stay.

When I called a week prior and talked directly with the concierge, I was told that we would receive a lei greeting upon arrival. We didn’t get our 59¢ shell leis until our second check-in day. A bummer for my daughter who was so looking forward to that Hawaiian custom. (You can order flower leis, but that is extra.) On my last trip to Maui (at another hotel), we were greeted with cool wash cloths and a glass of POG. I guess those days are over.

There are beautiful waterfalls and flamingos and lots of beautiful places to take a family photo at the resort. You are even given one photo free… if you sign up the minute you arrive. The front desk never told us this and by the time we figured it out, it was too late and there were no more slots available during our stay. We got a shot with our own camera, but we were ready and willing to spend money on this for a professional photo.

While at the pool, I was wondering why so many parents were ordering their kids $8 PB&J sandwiches. Is everyone here rich or do they have a secret? Yup, another feature that we missed. There is a new feature called the SPG Kids Pass. It is only $15 a day and includes breakfast at the ‘Ono buffet ($30), lunch from the ‘Ono Bar & Grill, Sea Dogs or ‘Ono Poolside and then dinner from ‘Ono (with dessert) as well. We figured we spent at least an extra $100 on our daughter that we didn’t have to, in addition to wasting several of our free breakfast passes on her at the buffet. No one told us about this until our breakfast server did on our last day at the resort.

Overall, we had a great time in Maui. How can you not enjoy paradise? It just would have been that much better if we could have enjoyed our resort even more. Here are a few tips on how to make your stay at the Westin Maui a great one:

• Write down the exact room type you are to receive and call the front desk in Hawaii to confirm even after you receive your written confirmation. Don’t rely on the 800 number as it isn’t in Hawaii. Make sure they match.

• Print it out the exact rate plan or promotion code that you are applying to your room and take it with you. There are so many different codes and discounts available. Our front desk agent had trouble with ours.

• Ask about any kids discounts or programs that may be available.

• Call the American Express Activities Center at the resort and have them email you a list of activities available before your arrival. This is not on the website. We worked with Stevie and she was wonderful. She made sure to remind us to pick up our forms early so we didn’t lose our reservations for scuba and parasailing.

• If you have curly hair, bring your own hair dryer. The ones provided don’t have a low cycle, just high and higher.

• Be aware that there is a $25 resort fee that is charged daily. This covers the self parking (valet is extra), the internet ($10 extra if you want higher speed), the gym, your free photo (if you can get on the list in time), two bottles of water in your room, etc. They should use this extra money to heat their pools and jaccuzi...brrrr.

• Be prepared for the BIG sales push to buy into the Westin Villas up the road.

Yes, the Westin needs some updating and maybe some better customer service, but we enjoyed ourselves…it’s Hawaii after all!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank gradeschoolmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toronto
Reviewed July 2, 2010

We stayed for 2 days and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. To top it all off we used our points at this hotel so we actually stayed for "free".

The service at the reception was friendly and efficient. We requested for an upgrade using our SPG points and there was no problem at all. Our room was on the 5th floor and had a wonderful view of the gazebo and waterfall .We also had a partial ocean view and a balcony. The room itself is your average-size resort room with amenities. Overall we enjoyed our room.

The employees were very helpful and friendly. The location is great (next door to Whaler's wharf shopping center and not far from Lahaina).

We had buffet breakfast everyday, made sure we are under an umbrella, and had fun watching the birds beg for or steal food left over from the plate. The servers sometimes are not fast enough cleaning the table. We would rate the selection and taste as average resort fare.

We dined out so I cannot rate their restaurants.

You know you have a very good hotel when you enjoy being in the hotel. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed July 2, 2010

This was the first time for me to Maui. Let me tell you it was not disappointing. When we got to check in I had booked a Premier Ocean View room with 2 double beds which was upgraded to a suite. I was a bit upset that it only had a King Bed as I was travelling with my daughter but they put in a rollaway which my daughter said was very comfortable. The housekeeping in the morning always greeted us with a smile. The pool areas are just beautiful. They have a adult only pool which I loved as it was so peaceful. Breakfast was amazing. When you book make sure you book the Beach Tower as rooms as bigger.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My husband and I went to Maui for a "babymoon" experience, thinking it would be the last time we would have time to relax for a while before welcoming our new baby boy. We chose to stay at the Westin Maui because the website looked like a great place to relax. We tried to settle in, but was bothered by our neighbor who kept smoking - not a great thing for me as a six-month pregnant woman.

We notified the guest service manager Giadee, and not only did she listen and make me feel like my concern was important, but she moved my husband and me to another room to avoid any future problems. If that wasn't enough, we saw Giadee at the pool area and she accommodated us and made sure I had a chair and was having a relaxing time. I am so grateful to know that even "small" customers as myself can go to a big name hotel like Westin and still feel important and cared for.

San Diego
Reviewed July 1, 2010

The room attendant Lenora really rocked. She seemed to always be aware of when we were out of the room and would always greet us with a smile. Each day our suite felt like we had just arrived.

We enjoyed our visit and spent each day by the pool. The fish tacos poolside are the best! Only steps away is the beautiful beach for morning walks or a late in the day swim. The kids stayed at home this trip, but this would have been a great hotel for them. We hung out at the adult pool and the other pools were always full of action.

Hats off to the Westin. We really enjoy Maui and look forward to our return.

Monterey, California
Reviewed June 29, 2010

It was a wonderful experience staying in the hotel but especially because of our lovely and kind housekeeper Virginia Galinato who made great efforts to comfort us and take care of our needs. Thanks Virginia!

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We recently stayed 5 nights at the Westin Maui in late June 2010 to celebrate our Honeymoon. First off, I must say this hotel has a very nice staff. Everyone was very pleasant during the duration of our 5-night stay. However, having said that I must say that this hotel is in need of improvement in many areas!!!
We flew in on a Monday morning and arrived at the hotel at around 11:30 am and were told that the check in was not until 3pm. There were no spare rooms to refresh us after a couple long flights,. This was a slight annoyance but we got over it quickly and just let it go. The lobby area was very beautiful, had a beautiful waterfall, and it had a very warm inviting feel. When we finally got our room we were upgraded from a king/terrace view to a partial ocean view. Unfortunately however I was told that the room they selected for me had two twin beds. I unwillingly had to accept considering that this was a special occasion so I relented and just “went with it”.
Now an issue I defiantly have is that this room was COMPLETELY outdated. The first giveaway is the acoustic “popcorn” ceilings that are found in the hallways and room; I mean most places stopped using this type of ceiling back in the mid 1980’s! The room we stayed in had no closet; instead they put an armoire in the room, which shrinks the room considerably. The wallpaper in the sink area was peeling, the fire sprinklers were rusted, the balcony needed new paint, and the balcony table had cracked glass. It was just so disappointing! Even the elevator up to the room felt very dated and old. They added some paint to the doors to try and update it, but it still feels out of date. Overall, I mean this is Maui! I’m paying a lot of money to stay at a Westin Resort & Spa. I should have gone down to complain but my bride just told me to let it go, we’re on our Honeymoon and only staying for five nights. I even earlier asked the very nice lady at concierge which tower was the more updated one, and she responded that they both were recently renovated. This was absolutely nothing that I noticed anyways.
Another thing, I know that this hotel gets A LOT of honeymoon couples and that’s great. I mean Maui has always been HUGE for Honeymoon couples, I know that. But if this Resort could put in any effort in showing appreciation, it would go a long way. They did nothing to let us know that they were glad we decided to spend our honeymoon staying in their hotel. I had to ask the receptionist if they did any kind of flower lei greeting when we arrived. She went into the backroom and came back and handed us two shell leis, which was pretty nice. When I went to the room I asked the express service line if they had any kind of special honeymoon stuff that they do, like champagne or rose pedals on the bed. Later that evening I was surprised with a nice bottle of Champagne, so I thought WOW how nice is that! I thought this bottle would be a great way to celebrate my wife’s birthday, which was on Wednesday the 23rd. So I went and made dinner reservations at the hotel's Pacifica Restaurant for Wednesday at 6:30pm, just in time to eat dinner watching the sunset. Unfortunately though when I brought the bottle of champagne to the hotel restaurant I was told due to Maui liquor laws I couldn’t drink it there, we had to drink it in our room. Now that is fine and all, I can be pretty understanding in regards to state liquor laws, but I wasn’t offered any kind of alternative to the situation. The manager simply gave us a no, and the restaurant had to take it back to our room for us, we couldn't even take it with us. They then proceeded to show us their wine list and since we cant drink our honeymoon champagne for dinner, we can now instead buy some drinks! The waiter was very nice, but we decided to go to Cane & Taro which is next door in Whaler's Village, where we had a great dinner!
Last, The $25 charge they make you pay is a complete rip-off. Now I know most hotels are using this “resort charge” these days, but it’s a complete racket and I’m surprised some hotels haven’t removed it yet as a courtesy. Among the things you are given for this charge are two small bottles of water per day and 1 photo session with a 4x6 image (more up sell opportunities for them to make more money) and I got to say for $25 a night the photographic company that takes the photos should call you to schedule an appointment “Hi, my name is __________ we noticed that you recently checked in today and would like to know if you would like to schedule an appointment today for your photo session.” When we did go to make an appointment we were told they didnt have any openings until the following week!
In closing, the pool was beautiful, and the staff was extremely nice, but this Starwood property needs some major updating! The nickel and diming of guests needs to stop somewhere. Instead of having multiple concierge associates, re-assign some of them to a specific task like following up with guests that are staying there for a special event! This is Maui, not some downtown slum! Show up the other resorts Westin! I know I’ve been pretty critical, but I’m pointing this stuff out so that they can learn and improve! Guest’s who are traveling to Maui have a lot of options to choose from, and Westin is on prime real estate on Kaanapali beach! If they completely gut and renovate the property, it will be unbelievable! Until then I cant recommend this property to anyone, and will be sending people to the Hyatt, Marriott, or Four Seasons in Wailea.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
vbravo, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 6, 2010
On behalf of the entire staff at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa mahalo for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.

Maui is a renowned destination for honeymoon celebrations and here at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, we seriously take our responsibilities in delivering a memorable honeymoon experience. Clearly in your case we fell short of that mark and for that we extend our deepest apologies. Evidently we had a breakdown in our normal procedures and I thank you for the specificity of your comments. I have reviewed your experience with all of our key departments to ensure that your experience is not repeated in the future. As for the room conditions, while we conduct ongoing improvements and maintenance I am happy to share that we in the planning stages of a renovation of the ocean tower rooms and we look forward to refreshing our product in the near future.

Lastly, Congratulations!! We’d like to take this opportunity to thank you again for choosing The Westin Maui Resort and Spa for your momentous occasion. Should your travel plans bring you back to Maui we hope to have the opportunity to to welcome you back to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa. Mahalo.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!