The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Kaanapali Alii(Lahaina)
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)
5,431 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolblack swanocean viewself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishan umbrellaabc storekaanapali beachfree shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 17, 2007

PRICE
I accepted an offer Hawaiian Air sent me for 6 nights/5 days and $185 towards an Avis car for $785. Having read TripAdvisor prior to my accepting the invitation, I was skeptical about the condition of the hotel, but reasoned that the Starwood chain is reputable and $785 is a deal to be reckon with considering the average price of a night at the hotel. Still, I was not sure of what to expect.

ARRIVAL
It's been many moons since I've been to Maui and my children (15 and 13) have never been so this was an adventure. We flew over with my sister and her son and my brother and his family were hopping over from Oahu so that plan was just to hang out together and explore the birth place of our mother.

When we arrived at the hotel, my son was greeted with a ti leaf lei and my daughter and I were given orchid leis. This makes the Westin a cut above a lot of hotels; Even the Manele Bay hotel, which is an exceptional hotel in itself, does not greet its guests with leis. In fact, neither does the mass majority of hotels on Oahu and Kaui go the extra mile this way. Truly a greeting with aloha!

Upon entering, you are invited to refresh yourself with chilled (real) fruit flavored water but your eyes become captivated with the cascading waterfall with FLAMINGOES that's just ahead. The scenery lets know you are in a superior hotel.

ROOM
We were given a garden-view room on the fourth floor. Okay, this does not sound good, but the garden-view is a room with a view of Maui's mountains! Yes, I did see people and cars since I was right above the entrance, but that's only when I looked down! The noise level was not at all overwhelming or bothersome. In fact, the view from my room was great at night, especially when the island was asleep. The lighted trees that line the driveway, the mountains, the night sky, and the fresh air were things I enjoyed from my balcony. This experience was especially pleasurable, like I said before, at night when people were asleep and during the early morning hours when I had my coffee and thought of nothing. It's just a way of bringing yourself in harmony.

The room is on the small side but hey, I did not pay for a suite! It was roomy enough for two teens and me to relax in. After picking our beds and somewhat unpacking, my daughter took a long shower while my son and I checked out the channels on the flat screen. Within minutes of literally sinking into his HEAVENLY BED, my son fell asleep. After donning a robe, my daughter flopped into bed with me and fell asleep! I thought they were taking a cat nap, but they did not get up until the next morning, and that's no lie! With a bed like that, my children were sleeping off their tiredness (they deserved it!).

The HEAVENLY SHOWER is a show with two shower heads and enough water pressure to make you want to wash and condition your hair, scrub between your toes, shave and shave again. I also enjoyed the lavender scented toiletries, which I assume gets its lavender oil from the lavender farm on Maui.

FOOD
I asked the concierge for good local food, places that the local people eat at and was given addresses for Da Kitchen and Tasty. Da Kitchen is a a sit in joint close to the airport that has some ono (delicious) food that comes with two scoops of rice and mac salad (just the way I like it) and Tasty is a place to get da bomb pancakes!!! Also, if you go to Haleakla ask the local peole if they could point you to the store with "bentos and musubi" because if you can navigate your way to this hole in the wall local store you can buy some ono lunches to eat on your way back to the hotel.

SUMMARY
Stay at the Maui Westin Resort and Spa and experience it for yourself. Don't get too caught up in staying within the confines of the hotel property because there's some beautiful spots on Maui. Use the hotel to pamper yourself. Swim in the huge pool, walk on the beach, sleep in your HEAVENLY bed and enjoy Maui. The Westin is a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
13  Thank datwahine
Reviewed February 11, 2007

We stayed in this hotel this time last year and had one of the most memorable vacations. My parents travelled with us and booked the ocean-view rooms. If this is in your budget it is a must. We had mountain view even as beautiful as this was we never once enjoyed the balcony. It is very noisy on this side, and surprisingly felt like Chicago with all the police and fire sirens. We sat out nightly on my folks balcony and I can still picture the moon on the ocean. We also sat there after dinner for the wonderful view of the whales. The binoculars were in your room for use which was fabulous.

Rooms: Comfortable and clean, and the added bonus of heavenly beds and linens.

Food: It is so well worth including the breakfast buffet in your booking. The spread was great and the view for whale watching incredible. The drinks were excellent. I don't remember the dinners standing out and they were expensive. It was so much easier to walk to the Whale Museum Mall area for better eats and prices.

Location: Excellent as we only needed a car one day to attempt the road to Hana. The bus was cheap and we used it in and out for Lahaina shopping and the Feast at LeLe. As a previous advisor mentioned this Luau was well worth the money with an excellent feast for the eye as well as the abdomen. We walked into the Whale Mall daily for local needs and to catch the bus. You can also book a whale excursion right on the beach which was fun and convenient.

Pool/Lobby: Above average with a great slide and Koi ponds. Daily Parrot visitors were also a treat. Wares of local artists were displayed daily. No difficulty getting a lounger. The gardens were well kept and lovely.

Beach: Rough water during winter season, but my husband loves that type of swimming. Great for walking the entire hotel boardwalk area. Disliked the fact with as much as this resort cost including the added resort daily fee that you had to pay and reserve the shaded loungers.

I do remember being pushed about the time share, and unfortunately my Mom talked us into it on a cold, rainy day that was going to be wasted indoors. It did extend way beyond the promised time frame, but we did get $100 of resort money which we used to pay for the resort daily fee. That was the only part of this vacation I couldn't wait for the end.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank CarolSmu
Reviewed February 11, 2007

The hotel is beautiful with helpful, friendly staff. The pool area is the best on the beach in Ka'anapali. The surf on the beach (which is public) can be a little on the strong side and you have to watch out for the undertoe. Our room was very comfortable (with a very small bathroom). Mountain view rooms look over the parking area/enterance (with the trees it's not bad). Parking is next to impossible, but if it's full you get free valet parking. The food is expensive and it's worth the 1.5-minute walk to hit the restaurants in Whaler's Villiage. TONS OF KIDS, which we weren't expecting. Small adult-only pool which is shaded most of the day. If you want pool time and sun, get yourself ready for the noise of children screaming. It's a non-smoking facility and you're technically not allowed to even smoke on your balconies (newer law in Hawaii). They have a few marked cubby holes you can perch yourself in to satisfy that nic-fit. The beach was really nice and you can even whale watch while you're soaking up the rays. I was never approached for the time share once! I really enjoyed my seven-day stay and wished it was longer. PS: you really do need a rental car here, and traffic's not really THAT bad!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank jwelte
Reviewed February 7, 2007

The westin trys to get you to do a timeshare presentation at every turn. Stay away from the conciere desk. They hard sell you and the spiel goes over the 90 minutes they say it takes. In addition, they promote this 50% off cetificate that is a complete joke. When you try to use it at westin hotels, the rate they give you is more then the web site rates. What a scam.

Stayed: February 2007
9  Thank willtravelforbeer
Reviewed January 30, 2007

We came here because on arrival of our other hotel, it didnt look like what we expected. The Westin was great. We had the "mountain view rooms" which face the opposite side from the ocean. No big deal,, you dont get the beach view, but you do get a balcony with a nice view of the mountains. The rooms were great, large and extremly comfortable. The pools were great, with an "adult only" pool as well as 2 or 3 other pools with a mini water slide. Every employee we encounted was great and the grounds around the hotel were great.
Cons- not a lot. There are 2 places to eat on the hotel property. Both serve fantastic food, but, if it does rain or get too windy, there is a small, limited seating area inside the hotel for both restaurantes that isnt very appealing cosmetically... but thats only if its bad weather,, which wasnt often.
Other than that, it really was a great place and one of the best I've stayed at.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Mugsydogg