“Lots of fun!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed October 18, 2006

Maybe I'm the only reviewer that liked this place???

Early October 2006, was my second time staying at the Westin. My husband and I really enjoyed it. Our room was clean and spacious. The customer service was great, and we were never once asked about buying a time share. We received an ocean view upgrade and a complimentary bottle of champange. They also offer a complimentary photo.

The hotel is located on the best portion of Kaanapali beach. Its next door to Whaler's Village (shopping and restaurants), they have a free shuttle to the Kapalua airport, and there is a bus to Lahaina.

The pool area is perfect for kids (they also have an adult area.)

I think the hotel could use some renovation, however the location is perfect and we were treated great.

9  Thank tagretchen
Write a ReviewReviews (5,225)

Reviewed October 15, 2006

I must preface this with I am very saddened to write this review over a hotel my family has enjoyed annually for over the last 6 years! In patcular the hotel has gone downhill in the last 12 months (not sure what is driving that).
Our stay was from Oct 8-13th, 2006 and unfortunately I know it will be our last at the Westin Maui.

Recap:
I am SPG Gold and upon check-in we were upgraded to ocean view rooms in the Beach Tower which had a great view but the rooms were very sub-standard (dirty carpets with rips, orange rust all over lanai, mold in showers and bathtub. This is no longer Westin Quality. After 1 night, we chatted with the manager and expressed our disapointment and she kindly offered to move us to newly renovated rooms in the Ocean Tower. We accepted even though we lost our ocean view but the rooms in the Beach Tower were that disapointing that we did not care.

The Ocean Tower Rooms have that 'new car smell' :) with fresh carpets and flat tv, etc, however they are 35% smaller than the other rooms. We had 2 twin beds and the crib they sent up barely fit. There is no way a family with 2 kids could stay in these rooms for any length of time. There are no closets so storage is non existent. The bathroom had not been touched/upgraded at all and had chips in the tile and was dark and dingy. The lanai, like those in the beach tower was chipped with orange rust like stains.. and the bent gaps in the railing on the lanai are scary and we could not let me 2 year old on the lanai at all as he would have easily slipped through the railing.

FYI: We travelled with my parents who are also SPG Gold so I saw their rooms as well and very similar issues. So in total I saw 4 rooms across the two towers. These ajoining rooms were the only thing that made the space usable given the new rooms are less than 300 sq feet in size.

Negatives:
- Mold in Showers & dirt in tub (too dirty to give my 2 year old a bath)
- Newly Remodeled Rooms (in progress) are 35% smaller than old rooms (which if you read this forum have been one of the top complaints for years). ** If you have kids you will need at least two room at this property if you get a remodeled room**
- Remodeled Room have no closet (just a small wardrobe)
- Remodelled Rooms have a distinct business traveller (1-2) night type of space/feel. Not for families or anyone who wants to be in the room more than 30 min.
- Staff is hit & miss. It seems like the hotel has gone through a notable turnover as 1/2 the staff seems
- Cost of food, drinks, coffee has gone up.
- Every time in the elevator during our stay you overhear complaints about the rooms from other guests. I've never heard complaints like this at other hotels on such a consistent basis.
- The Hotel is still pushing timeshares hard which I expected but found a little suprising given the disrepair I found the rooms in.
- Front Desk staff was quick to tell us when we initially complained that they are not 5 star and do not have a Diamond status and seemed to use that like a shield for any guest concerns which I found disapointing as I always viewed the Westin Maui in high regard.
- Buffet is $25 and pales in comparison to that at the Hyatt Regency down the beach for lower cost
- Lanai railing bent and unsafe
- Low Staff Morale overall, definitely a vibe of unhappy employees vs other hotels we visited on this trip

Positives:
- Pools are nice however Westin does not have an childrens pool/beach (for toddlers) like other high end hotels in Wailea or K'anapalai.
- Manager was helpful when we complained about our original rooms however you could tell we were not the first to complain
- Self Parking is close and Valet will handle for free if lot is full which is nice.
- Bellmen & Valet/Greeter staff are very friendly and a lot looked familar from years past.
- Housekeeping staff were friendly and seemed to be doing their best.
- $18 resort fee includes bottled water, internet, etc which is not bad considering other resorts charge more ($25) and include less.

Summary:
- My prediction is that the Westin Maui will likely loose it's Westin affiliation in the next 24 months if they keep on this trajectory.
- Warning to those considering purchasing a Timeshare at the nearby Villas, that if they let the hotel run down to this layer, I can only wonder what the Villas will be like in 3-5 years once they are all sold out. Just my 2 cents. I am so glad my spouse talked me out of a timeshare here 2 years ago.
- If you are planning to visit Maui and are going to spend $300+ try looking at the 5 Star hotel sites in Wailea which is a beautiful hotel and their online rates rival the Westin but hotel, proerty & service blow it away. Ka'anapali is starting to get that worn resort 3-4 star feel vs a 4-5 star feel that we got in Wailea for the same $.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
23  Thank LOWA
Reviewed October 13, 2006

My husband and I (Late 20's) stayed at the Westin from Oct. 4-13th. We just returned today from a wonderful stay at the Westin! Now, prior to leaving, I read numerous reviews about this resort and I have to say that I totally disagree with most of the negative reviews that I have read. Most of the negative remarks are about the lack of pool chairs surrounding the HUGE pool complex. Now, from what I have noticed, these people traveled to this hotel during the peak summer months when ANYWHERE you go is crowded and in my opinion, you should expect the crowds and know what you are getting yourself into. We never had a problem finding a pool chair no matter what time of the day it was. There is plenty of room, not to mention a beatiful beach to lay on! The pool area is amazing and we opted to hang out there instead of the beach.

We stayed on the 10th floor of the Ocean Tower and had an incredible ocean view. Our room was just re-done and we were told we were the first guests to stay in the room. It had plenty of room for the 2 of us and a nice flat screen TV that my husband loved! I do have to agree with some of the negative remarks regarding maid service. Sometimes they didn't get to clean our room until mid-afternoon which meant that we sometimes missed our maid service since we were napping, etc. They are in the process of renovating the floors, however, we never saw or heard any construction noise.

The restaurants at the Hotel are nice and the food is good. We had a great dinner at Tropica (on the Westin, more on that in a second) and Ono had great food as well. We ate at the Breakfast Buffet there each morning as our package with Expedia came with it (which was good considering it is $25 person!)

Now another great reason why we loved the Westin is that if they make a mistake, they take care of their guests. We rented a car during our stay and one night we had to Valet the car because the self-park lot is full (Not a big deal because they do not charge you for Valet) The next afternoon we went to retrieve our car and after 45 minutes, they determined it was GONE! Apparently, the new Valet kid parked the car in the wrong spot and it got TOWED! Anyway, to make a long story short, they of course got our car back and compensated us with a free meal at Tropica (which is expensive) and they also credited our account another $150 in addition to providing us with transportation on the day we did not have the car. We also made a call to the front desk to complain about the maid service and they took off 5 days of the $18 resort charge. So, we can not complain about the great service we received while staying at the Westin.

The location is the best on Kaanapali beach. The beach area is also the nicest. Black Rock is a quick walk, Whalers Village is right next door. We suggest eating at Hula Grill and Leilani's.

As far as things to do while there, definitely take the Road to Hana! It was a great time and we saw so many amazing waterfalls and got a real feel for the island. Definitely see the Warren & Annabelle show. It was the BEST!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and you HAVE to eat at Mama's Fish House. It was our best meal of the trip.

I was so sad to leave Maui. It is such a beatiful place that I only hope we can one day go back and visit!!!!!! And if we stayed on Kaanapali beach, the Westin would be our number one choice!

11  Thank tiffsix
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Stayed here in late September with a group and enjoyed it, but the fact I wasn't paying the bill helped a lot. It is a huge place with all of the amenities you would expect - a great pool complex, spa, restaurants, etc. The location is good, right on the beach and next door to the Whaler's mall. It's about a 10 minute, $14, cab ride to Lahaina town.

It was very crowded for what is supposed to be the off season (we were told they were fully booked). We never went to the pool, but it looked like most of the lounges were taken pretty early in the day. Check-in took about 30 minutes because of some error with our group booking (not sure whose fault it was, but desk agent should have handled it more quickly). The Ono poolside restaurant and bar was nice, serving breakfast, lunch and some very tasty tapas dishes in the evening. All of the food and drinks were expensive, but not out of line with most of Maui.

Our 8th floor room had a nice view of the beach and Lanai. The room was comfortable but nothing too special. If I were spending my own money, I would get an ocean view room at a smaller place like the Napili Kai. But if you like huge resort hotels with all the amenities, you will probably like the Westin. And if you have kids, they will love the pools and water slide.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank MDiablo
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We (wife and I, no kids) stayed for the first time at this hotel from Sept 30- Oct 5. We picked it because it is ALL NON-SMOKING ROOMS. Most of the pool area is also non-smoking. Because of this policy, the hotel tends to attract non-smokers which we loved. All restaurants on the entire island of Maui are non-smoking, incidentally.
The hotel is built around a vast interconnecting complex of pools, waterfalls, lagoons, koi ponds, rainforest/jungle walkways, in which there are flamingoes, swans, ducks and parrots. No other hotel pool complex comes close to this amazing place (combination of Rainforest Cafe and Disney's Animal Kingdom and Swiss Family Robinson and Pirates of the Caribbean).There is a quiet pool for adults only.
One of the family pools is actually two pools connected by a swim-thru cavern with waterfalls at each end. In the middle of the cavern is a hidden hot tub!
For nightowls or folks with jetlag, there is complimentary coffee in the lobby from midnite to 5 am. We sat in comfy chairs there in the lobby one early morning (all of the chairs are lined up right by the giant lagoon with waterfalls), and watched the koi and flamingoes wake up. Hotel rooms are nicely decorated, very clean, great ocean views. Fridge in room with complimentary bottled water replenished each day. Excellent buffet breakfast either overlooking the ocean or the lagoon. Snorkeling off the beach is only fair, but a 5 minute walk down to Black Rock in front of the Sheraton gives you great snorkeling, including turtles if you swim around to the far side of the rock where they hang out.
Next door to the hotel is the Whalers' Village. They have an ABC store where you can buy sundries, supplies and souveneirs, very reasonably priced. Hula Grill is an excellent place for lunch or dinner, choice of simple or more fancy fare.
Overall, a terrific hotel which gave us a fabulous experience.

6  Thank wbeagletown
Reviewed October 6, 2006

8 months of planning and our first trip to Maui and the Westin did not dissapoint. We have just returned from a perfect trip.

So, what do I think abou the Westin? Since February I have been reading reviews and I think in many ways it comes to this - you get what you pay for. We had saved and planned for a dream vacation, so we booked the Premium Deluxe Ocean View at nearly $500 per night. And guess what? We had one of the best rooms in the place with a spectacular view and had an awesome time.

You will find people complaining about "garden view" etc., because they are trying to get the cheapest possible rate and then complain when they are not treated well. Sorry to say, that is the way of the world, and especially in expensive Hawaii.

OK.. enough lecturing - on to the hotel. Perfect location steps from the beach and Whalers Village shopping. Plenty of nearby restaurants and activities. AWESOME POOL and slide and great, safe, freindly atmosphere for families and kids (Ours are 13 and 8) Good policy to have kids wear a daily i.d. bracelet to identify the guests. We always found ample deck space and were fortunate that our kids are old enough to run around at will while mom and dad relaxed.

The pool staff is young, friendly, very outgoing and helpful. Restaurant employees are cheery and attentive. (Especially our friend Alex at "Ono".)

On site coordinators for Parasailing and all other activities. We had no intention of doing a timeshare, so, guess what, we didn't subject ourselves to the 3 hours just to get some voucher or discount. (I must say, in all of my experience of resort properties, the timeshare folks here were pleasant and NEVER pushed us to stop and hear the pitch.)

Room - I'm told the "Beach Tower" is newer and has the nicer rooms. That is where we had our top floor room and it was quite nice. Small refrigerator was included, along with a nice lanai overlooking the pool and beach. The Westin is kind enough to provide a small set of binoculars for use during your stay. A word of caution to the many honeymooners - close your curtains !!! My wife and I were witness to a few romantic interludes.

My only complaint on the room would be the bath.... compared to Las Vegas and some of the newer properties, it is a bit small. I prefer a separate tub and shower instead of the one piece. A double vanity would be better too.

Would I stay again? With family and for the price, YES. Now, on our last day we toured Wailea and the saw the Grand and the Four Seasons. Those are definately in a different league, but the Westin was ideal for our family and we had a spectacular time.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank texdad
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Was there from Sept 20 - 26th. I asked for a quiet room. They gave us a room on the 8th floor and did not mention they were totally renovating the 9th floor. They were moving funiture , ripping up carpet and installing new carpet directly above us. This noise went on from 8am to 6pm. The hotel basically told us "tough luck" when we complained. Real classy for a $400 / night - 4 star hotel. Check on the renovations before you book. This constant noise ruined my vacation.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
8  Thank SanFranTrips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
#14 of 32 in Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!