“Nice, if you like huge, crowded, expensive hotels”

Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Walnut Creek, CA
“Nice, if you like huge, crowded, expensive hotels”
Reviewed October 10, 2006

Stayed here in late September with a group and enjoyed it, but the fact I wasn't paying the bill helped a lot. It is a huge place with all of the amenities you would expect - a great pool complex, spa, restaurants, etc. The location is good, right on the beach and next door to the Whaler's mall. It's about a 10 minute, $14, cab ride to Lahaina town.

It was very crowded for what is supposed to be the off season (we were told they were fully booked). We never went to the pool, but it looked like most of the lounges were taken pretty early in the day. Check-in took about 30 minutes because of some error with our group booking (not sure whose fault it was, but desk agent should have handled it more quickly). The Ono poolside restaurant and bar was nice, serving breakfast, lunch and some very tasty tapas dishes in the evening. All of the food and drinks were expensive, but not out of line with most of Maui.

Our 8th floor room had a nice view of the beach and Lanai. The room was comfortable but nothing too special. If I were spending my own money, I would get an ocean view room at a smaller place like the Napili Kai. But if you like huge resort hotels with all the amenities, you will probably like the Westin. And if you have kids, they will love the pools and water slide.

• Liked — Location on very nice beach
  • Disliked — Very crowded, expensive
  • Tips/Secrets — Get someone else to pay for your stay
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank MDiablo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,311)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
belmont, north carolina
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We (wife and I, no kids) stayed for the first time at this hotel from Sept 30- Oct 5. We picked it because it is ALL NON-SMOKING ROOMS. Most of the pool area is also non-smoking. Because of this policy, the hotel tends to attract non-smokers which we loved. All restaurants on the entire island of Maui are non-smoking, incidentally.
The hotel is built around a vast interconnecting complex of pools, waterfalls, lagoons, koi ponds, rainforest/jungle walkways, in which there are flamingoes, swans, ducks and parrots. No other hotel pool complex comes close to this amazing place (combination of Rainforest Cafe and Disney's Animal Kingdom and Swiss Family Robinson and Pirates of the Caribbean).There is a quiet pool for adults only.
One of the family pools is actually two pools connected by a swim-thru cavern with waterfalls at each end. In the middle of the cavern is a hidden hot tub!
For nightowls or folks with jetlag, there is complimentary coffee in the lobby from midnite to 5 am. We sat in comfy chairs there in the lobby one early morning (all of the chairs are lined up right by the giant lagoon with waterfalls), and watched the koi and flamingoes wake up. Hotel rooms are nicely decorated, very clean, great ocean views. Fridge in room with complimentary bottled water replenished each day. Excellent buffet breakfast either overlooking the ocean or the lagoon. Snorkeling off the beach is only fair, but a 5 minute walk down to Black Rock in front of the Sheraton gives you great snorkeling, including turtles if you swim around to the far side of the rock where they hang out.
Next door to the hotel is the Whalers' Village. They have an ABC store where you can buy sundries, supplies and souveneirs, very reasonably priced. Hula Grill is an excellent place for lunch or dinner, choice of simple or more fancy fare.
Overall, a terrific hotel which gave us a fabulous experience.

• Liked — atmosphere
  • Disliked — nothing, everything was great.
  • Tips/Secrets — go snorkel off black rock. it's as good as the other places you pay someone to take you to.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank wbeagletown
Texas
Reviewed October 6, 2006

8 months of planning and our first trip to Maui and the Westin did not dissapoint. We have just returned from a perfect trip.

So, what do I think abou the Westin? Since February I have been reading reviews and I think in many ways it comes to this - you get what you pay for. We had saved and planned for a dream vacation, so we booked the Premium Deluxe Ocean View at nearly $500 per night. And guess what? We had one of the best rooms in the place with a spectacular view and had an awesome time.

You will find people complaining about "garden view" etc., because they are trying to get the cheapest possible rate and then complain when they are not treated well. Sorry to say, that is the way of the world, and especially in expensive Hawaii.

OK.. enough lecturing - on to the hotel. Perfect location steps from the beach and Whalers Village shopping. Plenty of nearby restaurants and activities. AWESOME POOL and slide and great, safe, freindly atmosphere for families and kids (Ours are 13 and 8) Good policy to have kids wear a daily i.d. bracelet to identify the guests. We always found ample deck space and were fortunate that our kids are old enough to run around at will while mom and dad relaxed.

The pool staff is young, friendly, very outgoing and helpful. Restaurant employees are cheery and attentive. (Especially our friend Alex at "Ono".)

On site coordinators for Parasailing and all other activities. We had no intention of doing a timeshare, so, guess what, we didn't subject ourselves to the 3 hours just to get some voucher or discount. (I must say, in all of my experience of resort properties, the timeshare folks here were pleasant and NEVER pushed us to stop and hear the pitch.)

Room - I'm told the "Beach Tower" is newer and has the nicer rooms. That is where we had our top floor room and it was quite nice. Small refrigerator was included, along with a nice lanai overlooking the pool and beach. The Westin is kind enough to provide a small set of binoculars for use during your stay. A word of caution to the many honeymooners - close your curtains !!! My wife and I were witness to a few romantic interludes.

My only complaint on the room would be the bath.... compared to Las Vegas and some of the newer properties, it is a bit small. I prefer a separate tub and shower instead of the one piece. A double vanity would be better too.

Would I stay again? With family and for the price, YES. Now, on our last day we toured Wailea and the saw the Grand and the Four Seasons. Those are definately in a different league, but the Westin was ideal for our family and we had a spectacular time.

• Liked — Location, Beach, Value
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Book Premium Room... it's worth a few more bucks a night. How often will you go to Maui?
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank texdad
San Francisco
Reviewed October 3, 2006

Was there from Sept 20 - 26th. I asked for a quiet room. They gave us a room on the 8th floor and did not mention they were totally renovating the 9th floor. They were moving funiture , ripping up carpet and installing new carpet directly above us. This noise went on from 8am to 6pm. The hotel basically told us "tough luck" when we complained. Real classy for a $400 / night - 4 star hotel. Check on the renovations before you book. This constant noise ruined my vacation.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
8 Thank SanFranTrips
Oregon
Reviewed September 30, 2006

This was my first visit to Maui. The view was awesome, the grounds of the hotel were super-clean. My favorite aspect was the comfortable beds. I enjoyed the spa, the nearby shops and the clean beach. The hotel is not new, but was very clean. I had a very good experience and am returning in November of this year!
My kids are all grown, I had no problem with the facility being a family resort. In fact I enjoyed watching the kids have so much fun in the pools.
It was relaxing, warm and beautiful. Who cares if the beds are made? I rather prefer to request more towels and not have daily service.

• Liked — The comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Tips/Secrets — Pack light-no need to dress up.
  • Stayed November 2005, traveled as a couple
4 Thank danigrrrl
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed September 30, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Westin on a special package, 5 nights for $750, plus a rental car credit, and a coupon for resort services. We found out we were referred by someone who was a timeshare owner, and that the invitation was in the hope that we would attend a timeshare presentation and ultimately buy a timeshare. Attending the timeshare presentation was not mandatory.

We checked in, and were informed that the king size bed we had reserved was not available, because they had a lot of people there from the Maui marathon, which had run that day. They gave us a room with two double beds for one night (not a good fit when you’re 6’5” tall, like I am) and moved us to a king the next day while we were out. To compensate for the inconvenience (after we complained) they credited us the daily resort fee of $18.50, which everyone has to pay on top of the room rate. Both rooms were classified “Terrace non-view”, which meant it looked over the parking lot, and the West Maui mountains. When we checked out, they would not allow a late check out because the people moving into our room were already at the resort, and were being moved like we had been. I guess that is a regular thing with them, at least on this class of rooms.

To compare our experience with others posted here, I will say the following:

The condition of the rooms isn’t that bad. In both rooms, the carpet was off-white with a bas-relief leaf pattern, which in both rooms had small stains, but nothing outrageous. Hallway showed some signs of having luggage carts run into the walls, that kind off thing. But nothing was threadbare, or looked like it was in total neglect. It’s a nice hotel that caters to a lot of families, and shows the effects of all those kids.

I don’t know what is so heavenly about the beds. The first night on the king was not pleasant for me. I woke up the next morning with quite a backache, which I can’t blame on the traveling because it was my third morning on the island. However, I had no further problems sleeping, or with backaches. I think the “heavenly” tag comes from the beds looking so plush with all those covers and pillows, which you mostly don’t use in a tropical location like that.

I’ve read comments here that the maid service didn’t do anything except make the bed. But the maids did everything that maids do in a hotel. They put in clean towels, replaced glasses that were dirty, etc. They didn’t clean up my clothes off the floor or anything like that, but that’s not their job.

The pools are great. I think the temperature was just right, which was probably about 80 degrees. I heard one older woman (in her 60’s) complain about the water being too cold, but I’m 52 and loved it. And the slide is terrific! You can go really fast if you try to arch your back as you go down, and ride on your heels and shoulders. You will think you’re going to come flying out on the curves, but you won’t. But lots of people go slower by sitting up instead of laying down.

We never had any problem getting lounge chairs by the pool, even two together. And we had no problem with kids around the pools either. I’m sure in both cases this is because we went two weeks after Labor Day, when school-age children are back in school. Lots of young couples with infants, however.

We found no attitude problems with the staff, but then we never got abusive or even testy with them either. I think most of those reported problems come from tourists who come in, after paying rack rates, and start screaming when everything isn’t perfect because it’s so expensive. When we complained about having a reduced room the first night and having to move, we weren’t abusive. We just called our assigned concierge and expressed our unhappiness.

Do see Warren and Annabelle’s magic show. The magic is standard sleight-of-hand stuff, very well done. But what makes it great is the patter- Warren is hysterical! And he’s not afraid of hecklers, he actually encourages you to comment. But don’t buy the dinner package- you don’t sit at a dinner table, you sit at a cocktail table, and have to hold the dinner plate on your lap. And the food is only OK, you can find much better food in Lahaina than this.

Do try parasailing. It was definitely a highlight of our trip. We went with Maui Parasail, which operates out of Lahaina, and it was great. The parachute is a big “have a nice day” face, great for photos.

DON’T do the timeshare presentation at the Westin! They tell you it’s different than a timeshare, and that the presentation isn’t the same, but there’s no difference that I can see. We ended up signing, and were never told that there was a 7-day cancellation window, and you really have to look for it in the contracts. We were lucky and did the presentation at the end of the week, so when the “paradise syndrome” wore off, and we realized that we didn’t need any more debt right now, we still had time to cancel. I feel sorry for the people that sign up at the beginning of their vacation, and have no window left to cancel when they get home and the bliss wears off. But when we started emailing our salesman, and the corporate office to make sure where to send our cancellation, no one responded. The contract doesn’t even provide a fax number, we had to use Fed-ex. I believe they have had several complaints to the Better Business Bureau. Don’t get me wrong, the property they showed us was great, and if you want a Maui timeshare, and you’re willing to pay developer prices, this is top of the line. Just hold out to get the best deal before you say yes. But if you’re not really looking for a timeshare, save yourself a lot of hassle and “just say no” to the presentation. The timeshare experience soured the whole vacation a little bit.

Overall, I'd go again at that price, but I'd never attend the timeshare presentation. They just won't take no for an answer.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Timeshare presentation
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't do Timeshare presentation
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
18 Thank photodave
Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We stayed at several hotels across Maui and I have to say that The Westin and the Kaanapali Beach Hotel were are favorite. We stayed at both as well as the Grand Wailea and a hotel in Hana so we definitely were able to compare. We originally were going to stay at the Sheraton but after walking by and seeing LOUD repairs going on at the pool we rebooked the Westin. The Westin grounds are beautiful and the pool is amazing! Also I was impressed with the front desk staff and the restaurant/bar workers. They even had a happy hour special every day! Prices seem high, but this is Hawaii. Look for a special. The location of the hotel can't be beat. You can walk to other hotels, shops, restaurants and it didn't feel busy. Try to go in the off-season. Aloha!

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Price.
  • Tips/Secrets — All views are great but try to face the ocean side. The mountain side is nice but you will get the parking lot also.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tropical-Explorer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!