“Westin Maui is still paradise!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westin Maui Resort And Spa

Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
SoCal
“Westin Maui is still paradise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2006

I spent weeks on this site trying to decide where we should take our two teens in Hawaii, and as someone else mentioned, the more reviews I read, the more confused I became.

We weighed hotels and islands, and in the end, decided to return to the Westin Maui where we'd had many good experiences. As I write this, I am sitting at a desk in my room overlooking the beach (steep? Where? Looks wide and flat to me!) and listening to the sound of the waves as they roll up upon the sand.

We chose the Westin for its great siting and its unstuffy experience. My husband and I would choose a Four Seasons experience, but our kids wouldn't, and we don't blame them. Don't come to the Westin and then complain that you didn't get a Four Seasons experience. They are different hotels!

We were last here in 2001 and the whole area seemed to be suffering a bit from the drop in Japanese tourism. Today, things are lively and busy. The Westin has kept up their property, adding palapa umbrellas in the pool area and reopening their beachfront restaurant. It seems a waste of space to me to complain about the cost of food -- Hawaii is expensive; don't blame it on the hotels! I noticed that the Westin offers free dining for kids under 12 at their pool-side restaurant if a parent is ordering off the menu -- sounds like a pretty good deal to me, and far better choice than the food court at Whaler's Village...where, by the way, vendors have become quite aggressive as they attempt to sell you pearls and timeshares.

We came here many times having to watch every penny. We could have chosen to go somewhere less expensive, but to us,it was worth the self-discipline to experience paradise. It's tiresome to read countless slams against hotels simply because of frustrations due to the rigors of penny-pinching. Most of us have been there and done that; to let it overpower the experience seems counter-productive.

I've only been here 24 hours, and haven't seen a bug, let alone a cockroach. I'll definitely report it if I do, but for anyone to think the Westin Maui is cockroach-infested would be disingenuous. It's a bit crowded, a tad understaffed and didn't open just last year, but we've already spoken to other families who could affford to go anywhere on the Islands and keep coming back to the Westin. It's lovely, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

Aloha!

Stayed August 2006
12 Thank goingoinggone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,302)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

We had a great time at the Westin. We stayed there from 8/1-8/5 then moved on to the Grand Wailea for another 5 days. At the end of our stay I almost wanted to cancel our room at the Grand Wailea and stay at the Westin but I didn't. Minuses: 1. The pools attract people from nearby hotels and resorts and they don't seem to do much to enforce the "guests only" rule. 2. There are not enough lounge chairs to accommodate everyone. You have to get up early and claim your chair each morning if you want a good shady spot. One day my husband and I had one empty lounge chair next to us and a Japanese family of 9 shared it for about an hour!! There were 5 talkative adults and 4 children congregated beside and behind us--it was an uncomfortable and loud experience. When they left another family of 5 came and shared the one lounge chair!! On our other side there were two empty lounge chairs that were left unused by two women for at least 2 hours--again, nothing done to enforce the no saving lounge chairs for more than 1/2 hour rule. 3. No water coolers allowed by the pool. They have a water dispenser near the pool but who knows how clean that is or if it's tap water or what. We brought a very small cooler to fit about 4 small bottles of water and they took it away from us. They kept it for us behind the activities desk but we had to walk up to them and ask for our own water whenever we wanted more. Pluses: 1. Gorgeous view from our ocean view deluxe room close enough to the ocean that we could hear the surf crashing on the shore as long as the pool and pond waterfalls were not on. 2. Excellent Service: far better service here at the Westin than at the Grande Wailea!! Pamela at the concierge desk really helped to make our trip more enjoyable-recommending great restaurants and activities with a smile!! 3. Location! Easy walking distance to Whaler's village for shops, restaurants, and a food court where you can get very reasonably priced food if you just want something cheap and quick like breakfast for $5 or a sald for lunch for $8. Also a really short drive to Lahaina for more shops and more restaurants and water activities. 4. Comfortable beds and pillows. Our room at the Grand Wailea was much larger and had nicer furniture but after my first night at Grand Wailea I woke up with an aching back and a stiff neck. The "Heavenly" beds really are wonderful. 5. The Spa!! The Grand Wailea Spa is world class but I had a better experience and massage therapist was just as good at the Westin. The massage tables in the couples massage room is state of the art--it adjusts and elevates your kneess with the push of a button by the massage therapist! We really enjoyed ourselves there and once we have children we will definitely be coming back to the Westin Maui but for a romantic getaway, I wished it could have been a little more quiet during our pool lounge time. Tip: if you lounge at the pool in the morning up until 11:00 am you won't hear as many children. They tend to come out in crowds at every resort (here as well as at the Grand Wailea) right before or around lunch time.

• Liked — The comfortable bed; location, the beach and Spa.
  • Disliked — Lack of lounge chairs or enforcement of pool rules (no holding chairs, guests only rules)
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank JetSet1
Orange, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2006

Just gobs and gobs of people. People everywhere. Not enough beach chairs. Tons and tons of kids. Not my definition of a nice Hawaiian getaway. If you've got noisy kids, want a big pool with a fun slide, like to be around people. Then this is the place for you!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Book all your diinners at all restaurants the first night you arrive or you'll eat after 9pm
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank sfuji1
Calif
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2006

The Westin Maui is not for everyone and anyone. Lets start with the good points.

The pool is the selling point in my books for anyone staying along the strip of Ka'anapali. The main pool is however crowded and finding a lounge chair after 8AM is tough. You are better off using the adult only pool if you can handle alot of traffic lateral of the pool because of the pool slides.

Service was decent however it is not 5 star folks. The Westin will charge your room 17.50 each night you stay there as a "Service Resort Charge" I felt that was ludicrus since they were charging me 6.00 service fee 3.00 tip fee on top of that for Room service The service was average at best. My suggestion is not to eat at the hotel or plan to eat at the hotel. The restraunts are nothing to write home about and very pricey. Your best bet is to walk 50 feet to Whalers Village and eat at the food court for half the price. Remember the restraunt Lei'lanni's. Its the best restraunt in the area and its right next door to the westin.

As for the bad points. We travelled with 19 family members. 4 total families. My room personally I was very dissappointed with. We stayed in the "Upgraded" Mountain View room. Upon arrival I felt I was going in a jack in a box. The rooms are VERY VERY small. Considering we had 1 infant staying with myself and the wife, we were pressed for space. We found our sheets to be dirty and later found a blood stain on the flat sheet. We were not happy at all since we already had our 7 month old playing on the bed. We asked them to change the sheets and they did relatively fast. Fruthermore later in the day we found the sheets they replaced the dirty ones to be food stained also. Incredible is all I had to say. On top of this the bell boy sent one of our suitcases to the wrong room and I had to walk down mayself to retrieve it.

The hotel was clean to the look however the floor is very dated and old. Stains everywhere, cracks and rips along the carpet and walls made the hotel look motel 6ish. This is not what I had expected paying 400+$ a night. My parents stayed in the Ocean Tower/Full ocean view, the 2nd best room the westin has to offer at 900+$ a night. Their room is exactly what I had expected at the price I paid(400+$) Their room was about 700SqFt and had alot less foot traffic because of the location.

Bottom line -
If you are travelling with Kids, the Westin Maui is the best alternative on Maui due to the Day care they offer, the swimming pools and the atmosphere of 5 million other kids screaming and running around at a modest price(excluding Full Ocean Rooms)

If you are travelling with your significant other, on a honeymoon, trying to get away from the "real world" on vacation to relax, I would avoid the Westin at all costs. By the way, I was propositioned about 20 times by timeshare propaganda while at the Westin, I got quite peeved at that.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank pizando
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2006

Stayed at the Westin for 4 nights/5days. Prior to booking my trip at this hotel I spend countless hours reading the reviews of this and neighboring hotels in Kaanapali. The only advise I can give you is go with your first instinct. The more reviews I read, the more confusing I became. The biggest thing is to remember who is writing these reviews ie. families, honeymooners etc.

For me an my finacee this was the perfect spot. The hotel is beautiful with its open-air lobby. Great pools which at times were over populated with children. I would recomend the adults only pool which is quiet enogh to read a book or just relax. Also, a full service bar is only steps away.

As far as the rooms go, we stayed in an ocean-view room on the 9th floor. The room had everything you needed; oversized bed, interenet access, fridge and safe. The room was clean but not spotless. The actual time we spent in the room awake was minimal. Housekeeping made sure there were an ample supply of towels & bottles water in the room.

We dined at all the outlets at the resort. Tropica is a great place to have dinner, located right at the beach with a great view of the sunset. Overpriced like all restaurant on the island, the food was great and had a reasonable selection of entrees. For breakfast I would recommend eating at the coffee stand, it offers fruit, bagels, yogurt etc. Eating a full sit-down breakfest at the restaurant will run you about $45 each day with the buffet costing $22 a person.

Overall the hotel was a great value and was located close to everything in West Maui. It had a good mix of families & young couples which we are. In addition, the spa is a great additional to the hotel. I would definetly recommend the couples message.

• Liked — Total Relaxation
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — Breakfast at the coffee stand off the main lobby
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank jsimon816
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2006

What an incredible stay at the Westin! My husband, 2 daughters (15 & 13) and myself spent a week at the Westin in the Beach Tower in a Premium Ocean View room.

Rooms - While the rooms are said to be small, we were quite comfortable. At check-in, the desk clerk did say that the room type did have a little more space than a regular room. We also had a king w/ a pull out and got a roll away, that did make it a little tight getting to the balcony. The bathroom was much larger than I expected.

Pool - The pool temp was comfortable. If you are sitting in the sun for a little while, you will find it refreshing. My husband spent almost all day in it. While the chairs do stay pretty full, the pool never feels crowded. It's huge! There are also areas that attract parents with young children, and other that have older children so you can kind of gauge where you would like to sit. There is even an adult only pool (16 yrs.+). Get out early to get a chair, getting under an umbrella is almost impossible. The pool attendents do their best at making sure people aren't leaving their stuff and taking off for hours. Chairs seem to turn over around 2:00 so you can probably get one then.

Food - Did the breakfast buffet once, overpriced. We stuck w/ the continental breakfast (Starbucks coffee & nice ham & cheese croissants, etc.) Ono's is good service & food, very fresh, nice salads, too. Our first evening there we ate their tapas menu and I really liked it. Go to Tropica's! We went our last night there. Terrific selection and great view. It gets a little windy there so bring a sweater.

Location - So glad we chose the Westin over the Sheraton. The Westin is right next to Whaler's Village and we walked over there to the ABC store almost everyday for something. Great little stores at Whaler's Village. DH walked over to the Sheraton pool and said he was not impressed, smaller pool. I did not see it myself.

I think I covered about everything. I never like to vacation in the same place twice but I would definately stay at the Westin again. I'm sure we will make an exception and go to Maui in the future.

Stayed June 2006
10 Thank LunaC
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2006

We have now stayed at the Westin Maui 3 times over a 9 year period. Our last stay was May 2006

Postives
Pool Area is Great
Location, Location, Location
Great Staff
Whaler's Village
Lot happening in the area
Boats on the beach for cruises

Negatives
Rooms are BADLY in need or remodel
Restaurants so/so
Very busy place
Kanaapali beach was very dirty! Amazing since it as voted best beach in the world!

When we first stayed at the Westin Maui in 1998 it was really a nice place. When we stayed in 2005 we were upgraded to the best suite in the hotel so it was nice but probably masking the overall quality of the hotel. When we stayed in 2006, we still had a premeire suite but were stunned at the condition of the room.

Our room was truly in bad condition. It needs a major upgrade NOW. Carpets dirty, bathroom old and drain clogged, furnishings old. We had a suite that overlooks Whaler's Village and the ocean. It was very loud with all the deliveries to the Village. I would strongly recommend staying on the other side of the hotel. The decks are large and very nice.

The pool area is great, clean and with very good service. The pool area is very busy with lots of kids and lots of people watching so my wife would say it is not relaxing. They have a large waterslide that they allowed our 6 and 4 years old to go on so they loved it. The lack of a hot tub for kids is a big MINUS. The weather was not great so our kids turned blue with cold. Fortunately the helpful staff allowed our kids into the adult hot tub to warm up.

Kanaapali beach was disappoiting. The storms have eroded the beach so much that it is now very steep. The beach was covered with cigarette butts and trash. Really not the hotel's problem but noteworthy.

The Westin's location is the best on Maui. It is right next to Whaler's village and has a spectacular view of the boat cruises, boats, Molokai, and Lanai. There, in general, is a lot of activity and things happening here.

Whaler's Village is nice. It has basically the same stores as the Shops at Wailea but is much better. For one, it is right on the beach and has 3 restaurants where you can enjoy the view. Granted their not great for food but they're ok and have great atmosphere but be prepared to wait. The Hula grill is the best of these. They also have fast food, which is great for the kids, ice cream, coffee, and a nice hula show every other night.

Lahaina is a short drive away.

IF the Westin evere reads these reviews -remodel now and add a hot tub for people under 16

As they say Location, Location, Location and you can't find a better one.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
9 Thank mike1318
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,832 reviews
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!