My husband and I spent the latter part of our honeymoon at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa. Our experience started out on the wrong foot. We came from the beautiful Grand Hyatt, Kaua'i, where we were treated extremely well. We got to Maui and were immediately disappointed with the service at the front desk. There was no, "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. So and So." Instead the lady at the front desk acted as though we were disturbing her. She was obviously new, but there was still no excuse for her attitude. We asked to be upgraded to an oceanview room because we were successful in having our request met at the two previous hotels we stayed at (Sheraton Moana Surfrider, Oahu and Grand Hyatt, Kaua'i). The answer was, "I wish I could do that, but because you guys booked through a travel agent, and got such a low price, we can't upgrade you. Next time you should try booking directly through our website." We were shocked by this response. A simple, "No, we can't accommodate your request" would have been just fine. Instead, she made us feel as though we were not spending enough money to be treated well. Besides, our package was far from cheap. We didn't say much at that point, trying to not let her spoil our honeymoon. Then she gave us the keys to our room, and didn't even bother to explain that there are two sets elevators and that we should head towards to elevators on the left. Needless to say, we went to the wrong elevators. After we got to what was supposed to be our floor and realized that our room wasn't accessible from this part of the hotel, we became really upset. We called the hotel manager and told her the story. She was very apologetic and offered us a $200 credit towards the room. So our issue was resolved, but it wasn't a very nice way to start off the week.
The rest of our time at the Westin was pleasant. The hotel is nice. The lobby is beautiful with Flamingos and waterfalls, it is quite the sight. The pool was always freezing cold, so we spent most of our time on the beach or in the hot tub. The area around the pool is beautiful. The chez lounges are wooden and not cheap plastic, like at some of the other hotels. The drinks are very good, though very expensive. We met a lot of other honeymooners, which was nice. There were quite a few kids at this hotel, but they weren't too loud. It's true that the rooms are a little small, but they're very tastefully decorated. Plus, how much time does anyone actually spend in their room?
Overall, we loved the area the hotel was located in. Lahaina is very close by, and we went there on most nights for dinner. The restaurants at the Westin were great for breakfast and lunch, but for dinner you must go out. Maui has a lot of great restaurants. Specifically, I would recommend David and Paul's, Roy’s and Cheeseburger in Paradise. If you like sushi, there is a great sushi restaurant right next to the Ritz Carlton, though I have forgotten the name. We also loved the sunset sail cruise, snorkeling tour and haleakala is a must see. If you do decide to wake up at 2 am and drive 2 hours to get to the top of this 10,000 foot moutain, make sure you ask the hotel for blankets or bring some warm clothing. It tends to be very cold up there (37 degrees). If we went back to Maui again, we wouldn't stay Westin. We would probably try the Ritz Carlton or the Fairmont Kei Lani. Though those hotels might be a little pricier, I'm sure they're worth the extra money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Commanding Ka’anapali Beach, The Westin Maui Resort & Spa presents the ultimate Hawaiian getaway. Appealing to leisure and business travelers alike, unrivaled amenities are designed to inspire renewal at this island paradise. Unwind amidst well-appointed accommodations with signature Westin touches. Or enjoy splashing fun within the magnificent aquatic playground with five pools, cascading waterfalls and gardens with exotic wildlife. Adventure seekers can pick their favorite watersport steps away from the resort such as stand-up paddling, kayaking, para-sailing, snorkel and sunset cruises. The resort also offers spa rejuvenation, oceanfront dining, cultural activities, kids club, weddings center, meeting facilities, watersport, shopping, golfing and shuttles to historic Lahaina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Maui Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Maui Resort And Hotel Lahaina
- Westin Maui Hotel
- Westin Lahaina
- Westin Maui Resort And Spa
- Westin Maui Resort Spa
- Lahaina Westin
- The Westin Maui Resort & Spa Lahaina