“Fabulous and Friendly”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Kansas City, MO
“Fabulous and Friendly”
Reviewed February 19, 2006

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Westin Maui. From the cleaning staff to the bar staff, everyone was very helpful and warm. The bed was absolutely the best. The wonderful linens added tremendously to a great night's sleep. The bell staff, room service, housekeeping, front desk, gift shop employees, and wait staff were absolutely hospitable and charming. One night after a bad experience at a nearby restaurant, the wait staff at the pool bar actually served us a wonderful quesadilla to comfort us and feed our empty stomachs, at no charge. I can't tell you how happy we were with the entire experience at the Westin and I would recommend them highly. This was my second trip in twelve years, and I was very pleased, my expectations more than fulfilled by the gracious helpful staff of the Maui Westin. They have a beautiful pool area, beach area and the lobby was also very beautiful.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
10 Thank KC64117

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,334)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 19, 2006

My wife and I spent a week at the Westin Resort & Spa starting on 2/5/06. It was my first trip to Maui and my wife's 2nd trip. The hotel was fantastic.

Location: The location could not be better - right in the middle of everything. The beach was great with Whaler's Village right next store. The drive to Kapalua is only 10 minutes and Front Street in Lahaina is only 5 minutes away.

Dining: I would recommend eating lunch at Whaler's Village versus at the hotel to help your budget. The food at the hotel was pretty good, but expensive - not a surprise. We ate at Kimo's in Lahaina & Hula Grill at Whaler's Village - good food, good prices, great service & location for both restaurants. The Food Court at Whaler's Village offers McDonald's, Chinese, Mexican, Subs, and Smoothies - prices are reasonable and well worth the walk next door for lunch.

Rooms: The rooms were small, but well appointed and clean. Housekeeping does a nice job at this hotel keeping the rooms clean. The bellmen and concierge staff are very friendly and knowledgeable - use them if you aren't familiar with the area.

Pools: Great pools. The lounge chairs are padded and the best on Kaanapali Beach. The adult pool area was a nice break. The Westin's pool rivaled those at the Marriott & Hyatt.

Timeshare: We met with a concierge one morning and got roped into going to a timeshare presentation. They offered us $100 to be used in the hotel, so we decided to check it out. The person who gave us the presentation spoke so fast we could hardly understand her. They said it wasn't a high-pressure sale, but it was. You'd think they would understand you need time to think before spending $50,000 - $80,000 on a timeshare. While we put the $100 towards the spa (which is great by the way), it wasn't worth dealing with the stuck-up, high-pressure sales presentation...don't waste your time unless it's raining or you are really interested.

Luau: We went to the Royal Lahaina Luau. It was a lot of fun, but somewhat cramped for space. The location was great - 2 minutes from the hotel. The food was good and the show very entertaining.

Dinner Cruise: We went on the Terlani Dinner Cruise which picked us up right next door at Whaler's Village. The staff was excellent, the food good, and the bar stocked. We had whales swimming around the boat the entire trip. I highly recommend this trip and this specific Terlani Boat Tour.

Overall we were very pleased with our stay and would go back. The Westin was a great place to stay and we have great memories of our honeymoon there. We would also consider staying at the Hyatt, Sheraton, Kaanapali Alli, and the Marriott...whichever had the best deal when we were ready to go.

• Stayed February 2006
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Delaware, OH
Reviewed February 13, 2006

My husband, my father, my 18 month old daughter and I visited the Westin for 4 days. We felt pressured to go to their timeshare presentation and then found out that you would own at the Westin down the beach. We decided to go hear them out because we were looking for a timeshare on Maui. We let them know that we had to pick up my father in a few hours. Four hours later, while my daughter is screaming and my father is waiting for us, we tell them we will get back to them. They follow us out and the women asks me "Did I Waste my Time?" We finally just walked away. By the time we got back to our room, we had a message from our advisor asking what are decision was. We also later found out that the Westin does not own their land!!!

• Stayed March 2003
5 Thank kristie_bridgeman
La Jolla, California
Reviewed February 12, 2006

First,the rants, ~ and (please be patient!) then the raves.

Rants: "Deluxe Oceanview" what a crock! I wish I had discovered this site BEFORE reserving this category. What a sorry joke. For $485 a night, we were offered a room overlooking the parking lot of Whaler's Village. The noise was horrible! Delivery trucks, cars coming and going, (beep beep beep) and the poisonous, foul smell of diesel. You could not see the ocean from any place in the room...only from the balcony. I know they need to sell these rooms, but they should be fairly priced and more honest in the description. This room was on the 7th floor. Joven said it was a "very nice, deluxe room." After a very long, highly unpleasant process, we were able to move to a much better room on the 6th floor of the main building. This was an "Oceanview" category. The view was great, including soothing sounds of the fountains, and views of the pools, flamingos, koi, waterslide, people, and parrots. The housekeeping staff kept the room spotless. The only other complaint regarding the room would be the stench of cigarette smoke. Smoking is banned in all guestrooms, but allowed on the balconies. This new policy is a brilliant one for Westin --- saving Westin money on cleaning smoke-infested rooms. Those of us who prefer fresh air (we spend most of our time when not sleeping out on our balcony when in the islands)are denied such because all of the smokers (in our case we had smokers on one side and below us!) are out on their balconies, puffing away. The smell of smoke managed to not only infect our balcony, but also blew into our room. The non-smoking policy is a huge blessing, though, in the lobby and around the pools. They do have designated spots for those who need their smoke, including one of the pools.

One more rant, ~ the service in Tropica. It's a really great place ~ the location is awesome and the food is really good. But they are seriously understaffed. We popped in for lunch while waiting for our room on the first day (the 3 p.m. check-in is the rule --- which surprised us, as we have now stayed at almost every hotel on Maui and have never had that problem.) There was a very sweet lady who seated us. Then she disappeared. What reappeared was a mad cow who should never work with the public. When the gods were handing out aloha spirit, she must have gotten in the wrong line. Unbelievable! She hardly acknowledged that we existed, looking mostly annoyed that we were taking space in the restaurant. WHAT? Are we in FRANCE? We heard her involved in not just one, but two arguments with other guests. Scary lady. After 50 minutes, our entrees arrived. One problem: No napkins or silverware. And no waitress in sight. I finally found the wait station and got our own, as Ms. UnFriendly was no where to be found. Our entrees were delicious, though, worth the wait. By the way, though we're mainlanders, we pretty much live our lives on "island time." So, it's not that we expect super prompt service. We just expect service.

Two days later, we chose to dine at Tropica again. They were still understaffed, but what a difference an attitude can make. A nice gentlemen greeted us, apologized that they were understaffed, but welcomed us to relax and enjoy the view and that he promised he would get to us within the next ten minutes. No worries! Thoroughly pleasant experience.

The raves: The pool area is beautiful. Although the resort was at full occupancy, it never felt crowded, due to the great design. The various pools are spread out nicely. The landscaping is abundant and well tended. The waterslide is a blast! Cushions on the lounge chairs -- this is becoming rare at resorts, but gratefully, the Westin Maui is maintaining a very good tradition.

The lobby area is wonderful. The infused waters and lemon towelettes are a nice touch. There is a nice "flow" and again, it never felt crowded.

All in all, it was a wonderful vacation. We visit Maui twice a year, splitting time between Wailea and Kaanapali. We would recommend the Westin, but encourage you to be particular about the location of your room. The Parking Lot Deluxe rooms are not for those who enjoy the peace and serenity of such a magical place as Maui.

Aloha!

• Stayed February 2006
30 Thank MrsAloha
California
Reviewed February 7, 2006

on a scale of bad to great, this is a "nice" resort in hawaii. Very kid friendly. Kids eat free in their main outdoor restaurant called "Ono". The "free" kids meal you get is actually a nice meal too (good quality)! To make it simple, here are the pros and cons..

PROS = nice pool, waterfalls, lounge chairs, outdoor lobby, maid service is thorough & prompt & friendly, free daily waters in room (20 oz x 2), Spa looks very nice. CONS = heavenly bed was NOT heavenly at all, live entertainment goes until 10pm outside and it is LOUD if you're trying to go to sleep earlier than 10pm, pool is a "bit" cold, checkin staff told me there are no categories within a category, however, the further you are from the elevator, the nicer view you'll have of the ocean (beach tower).

Their concierge staff is really nice and helpful. They are genuinely there to assist. Very impressed since this is not a top notch resort (i.e. ritz or four seas). Our "beach tower" room was large, with a closet, nice bathroom, nice heavenly shower, decent products that you won't mind using everyday (westin brand), and had a pullout sofabed. The crib they provided was nice (not squeaky, old looking, etc).

I would have been more critical if I had paid their normal rack rates (Our room normally goes for $440/night), however, we were on a package and the room was only $120/nt so we were very happy with what we got.

Stayed February 2006
7 Thank rdesai52
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 7, 2006

My wife and I are big fans of the "Westin" hotel chain. We love their Dream Beds, so it was a natural choice to choose The Westin Maui when we were traveling to Maui for a short vacation.

On the Westin website, the hotel looked modern and wonderful. (I'm learning to ignore pictures on hotel chain websites as well as on Expedia.)

When we approached the hotel, it was obvious that the hotel had been built in the 1960s.

As we entered the lobby, it was clear that it had been updated very recently. The lobby is very nice.

We had paid for an ocean-view room, and -- as you read over and over again on this site -- we got a room that barely saw the ocean and mostly looked over a rooftop. My wife immediately called the front desk to complain. We were told that there was nowhere to move us...but that they were willing to move us the next day.

The rooms have "cottage cheese" on the ceiling. Just the sight of it really "dates" the room to the 1960s/1970s. But the furniture is new...and - ahhhhh - The Dream Bed. The beds are awesome.

The rooms are rather small...and the bathrooms are dated and somewhat small.

We spent our days at the pool, and the pools are GREAT! Waterfalls...tunnels...a waterslide for adults. It's great fun.

Food was good...but outrageously expensive. (Seems to be a real problem in Hawaii.) The "good news" is that there is a shopping village about 50 yards from the hotel. The village has a convenience store, McDonald's, Mexican restaurant, Chinese outlet, ice cream shop, etc. Pretty much anything you could want...so there's really no need to eat at the Westin unless you just want the convenience of never leaving the facility.

I would recommend self-parking. We took advantage of a package deal that included parking. The way that the parking lots are designed, it's difficult to get to self-parking...and thus is some pressure to valet. I fought against the pressure and made it clear that I wanted to self-park. My wife cringed, but it saved me $100 over four days.

• Stayed September 2005
13 Thank dcdude
Chicago
Reviewed February 2, 2006

My husband and I spent out honeymoon at the Westin in Mid November...after reading some of the negative comments by people I wondered to myself if we stayed at the same hotel! We flew directly from Chicago to Maui the morning after our wedding and were so excited at the idea of laying on the beach to relax a few days! Upon arriving at the Westin we went directly to check in, we were so giddy at the warm weather and the beautiful open area lobby that the girl, I believe her name was Yoko, behind the counter pegged us as newlyweds. When we told her we got married the night before she upgraded out room to a deluxe ocean view. It was truly spectacular. We looked out upon nothing but the beach and the two islands in the distance. Beneath us was Tropico (best lobster tail we had in Maui and you have to try the carmelized onion and goat cheese flat bread...we liked it so much we made our own version back in the mainland!)that has live music every night. While we were there it was just one guy and his ukulale...very soothing and romantic! My husband and I actually went to Safeway (Same comapny as Dominicks to us Chicagoans...and I even used my preferred card!) and picked up alcohol and sat on our balcony one night drinking and listening to music and the ocean! It sure beats the 9 dollars a drink at the bar! We also were suprised with champagne from the management in room on our second night there!

As for the timeshares, no one bothered us about is at all....we didn't even go pick up our "gift" from the concierge as we knew it would be a trap! Upon learning the gift was only "chocolate macadamia nuts" I wasn't too upset! We recieved a message to remind us to pick it up but we ignored it...we were left along all week...it was wonderful!

Our rooms were always clean and fully stocked and as my husband and I are talkers (we are both in sales) we found to the staff to be very warm and kind.

The pools were wonderful, and yes they were cold when we were there also, but felt great after sitting in the sun all day! We alterated between the beach and the pools every afternoon when we were not out and about. We even had a "drunk day" one day were we decided we were sitting by the pool and drinking all day like we were in college again. Abraham the bartender by the "adult" pool is great! He laughed and joked around with us the entire afternoon, even making up new drinks for us to try! He always plays Bob Marley so if you hear it, go get a drink and ahng out for a while...you wont be disappointed!

All in all it was a wonderful stay, the westin is close to EVERYTHING and for us provided a wonderful get away! We are already planning our first anniversary with a few other newlyweds to go back!

• Stayed November 2005
21 Thank Mollmack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!