“Splendid Hotel!”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Splendid Hotel!”
Reviewed June 6, 2005

We recently returned from our stay at the Westin. We've stayed at some nice places during our travels and this one certainly ranks right at the top. We were given an Ocean View room in the Ocean tower and the views of Lanai and Molokai were great. After reading other reviews, I was worried that the rooms would be too small and that they would be sub par. However, after getting to our room and seeing how beautiful they were, I was relieved. I certainly don't know how someone could give negative reviews of these rooms. If you are wanting a large room with closet space and full size refrigerators, then I would suggest a condo.

Otherwise, the pool area was beautiful and the beach was perfect. The water was clear and was just as warm as the heated pools. We walked around to the Sheraton, Marriott, and Hyatt and quickly decided that we made the right choice. Whaler's Village is also close with an ABC store to pick up snacks, etc.The parking lot was always full; however, we always had the option to valet.
This is certainly a beautiful property and we won't stay anywhere else the next time we are in Kaanapali. I would certainly recommend it and I am glad that we didn't let a few negative reviews deter us from staying here.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,346)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My husband and I just returned from 6 nights at the Westin in Maui. We are avid travelers and use this site as a guide for many of our trips. I was initially worried about the Westin based on reviews here but quickly learned that many of these reviews are from disgruntled travelers. If you have nothing to complain about, you have no reason to gripe! For that reason, I write this review.

The Westin was wonderful. As Starwod Preferred Guests, we were upgraded to an Ocean View room at check-in. And though we were only on the 5th floor, we considered ourselves lucky to be upgraded, considering the price of these rooms for people that actually have to pay for them. You do get what you pay for. The view was fantastic and we enjoyed the man-made waterfall/white noise to the chatter we'd have heard coming from the pool otherwise. Our room was clean, very cool and our bed was Heavenly as well. The fridge was small but kept my drinks cool. The spa is great too - with another outstanding view of the ocean.

We enjoyed the adult pool and had an easy time finding space to sit - in the sun or shade. The beaches in Hawaii are all public, so anyone can use them for their enjoyment. That's wonderful when you want to spend an afternoon at the Kapalua Ritz-Carleton, so don't complain when you have to share the beauty with others...we did not find the beach crowded and the water was so warm and calm it was like bath water.

Another review talked about how the "TV had nothing on." Are you kidding? So sorry to hear you take vacations to watch TV - there were probably about 30 cable TV channels in my room - something for everyone, even kids. And as for the parking - use the valet! If the parking lot is full, they'll valet for free! If you can't afford the $2 tip find somewhere else to stay. The men at the Valet station were great - they even carried a trunk-load of groceries up to our room - immediately. If you treat people right, they'll be helpful.

In all, it was a wonderful resort. When we go back to Maui we will stay at the Westin again. Its location (next to Whalers' Village - good shopping and food), beach and pools were far superior to other resorts we looked at.

• Stayed June 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas
Reviewed June 2, 2005

My family of 4, stayed at the Westin from 5/24-5/31. We had a great experience! I was a little apprehensive, after reading some of the reviews. But, we stayed on 8th floor,in the Ocean Tower, with 2 double beds. The room was clean and had a fridge and safe. If I had to "nitpick" about anything, it would be the lack of a closet. You have a small space inside an armore to hang your clothes. With a family of 4, things did get a little tight. But, we were basically only in our rooms to sleep and take showers! Service was great, no lines at check in or really for anything, although the hotel was completely booked. The self parking lot was full most of the time, but they did valet park us for free, if the lot was full. You will not find a better beach location! We basically explored the entire island, and decided that the Westin had the best location, and beach/pool area. Plus, it was great to have use of the Sheraton's facilities, when you snorkeled at Black Rock. All in all, I would stay there again, in a heartbeat! It is a wonderful hotel!

9 Thank soccrgrl
Denver
Reviewed June 1, 2005

This hotel was awsome! We checked out the Sheraton and Hyatt and there was no comparison to the Westin. The grounds were beautiful with palm trees everywhere and a multitude of waterfalls. We had an ocean view room in the Ocean Tower and the room was great. I read many reviews saying the rooms were too small with little closet space. We had three people staying in a room and didn't seem to have any trouble. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was fine. There was a refrigerator in the room which kept enough stuff for all three of us. The lanai was spacious and provided plenty of room to sit back and relax and enjoy the view. After our first night, we received a free box of maui chocolates from the concierge. I thought this was a nice touch. The service was great and the employees were very hospitable and accomodating. The concierge was very helpful in planning our stay. They provided maps and offered suggestions. The hotel is right next door to Whaler's Village which was a plus and the restaurant selection around the hotel was superb. We ate at the Hula Grill which was great. We sat outside and ate while taking in the fantastic views of the sunset. The hotel also offers an activities desk right next to the beach which allows you to book excursions. The beach in front of the hotel was great. It wasn't quite as wide as it was in front of the Sheraton; however, it was perfect for us. After checking out the beach in front of the Hyatt, we were glad we didn't stay there. Parking was difficult at times and we had to valet twice while we were there; however, we didn't let that bother us. When you are in Hawaii, you can't expect to get by cheap. Otherwise, we would of probably stayed at a cheaper location. Overall, I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Kaanapali. I certainly don't understand any of the negative reviews and I would recommend this place to anyone. I would definitely stay here again when I go back. It is laid back, yet it has enough happening if you want to do something (without having to drive too far). If you are picky about the trivial details, then the Four Seasons or Ritz might be better choices. Definitely a winner!

11 Thank BillDen
Houston
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We visited Maui from May 14-21, staying at the Westin Maui for the fourth consecutive time. We have also stayed at the Maui Marriott (now essentially a timeshare property) and Ka'anapali Ali'i (great for groups of three or more!). Until this visit, we found this hotel to be our choice for Ka'anapli, but no longer. First - the location cannot be beaten. Right on the beach, next to Whaler's Village (shopping and dining) and close to other hotels (Marriott, Hyatt and Sheraton), there is enough to keep you occupied without having to drive anywhere. That seems to be the only good thing left at this property. I will go through the problems we had this year (even worse because I am a Platinum member of SPG and a four-time hotel guest). Reservation - fouled up. We have always specifically booked the Beach Tower Ocean Front rooms (pricey, but the view is marvelous, plus you can hear the surf all night). When we arrived, we were told that we had booked a " Premium Ocean View" room. To be sure this was incorrect, we accepted the keycards and checked it out (the keycards didn't work - another recurring problem...). When told that this room was incorrect, I was rudely informed "this is what you booked" - incorrect and I had my confirmation info. They told us no Ocean Fronts were available, but they would work on it. We went to our room as it was our only option. In awhile, we were told they could move us in two days (no offer of compensation or lowering the rate). We protested, and finally a manager got involved, offering to move us to a "Junior Suite" the next day and buying us two lunches ($30 each). We accepted, but should have checked the room - it is a long room on the north side of the tower with only a non-opening window to the beachfront in a fairly nonfunctional living room, a very small bedroom (squeeze around the bed), and a decent bath (sink area had no outlets!!). Oh yeah - no apology ever for fouling up. Interestingly, they no longer list "Ocean Front" as an option on the website - we certainly can't find it anymore - too many foulups?? Next - Valet Parking. This had always been pleasant in our past three visits, helpful, held the door for my wife, helped with packages, etc - not this time. We went out approx eight times - six of which I had to go and ask for my keys, which were then handed to me and the attendant walked off (none of that assisting my wife into the car stuff). Once, we had several bags to load - same (lack of) service. Once, my car was almost blocked in - had to back it out myself after being ignored twice when informing them of its position. Plus - the attitude that we were probably lucky to even have them bring the car to the front! Next -Front Desk. In one of my three trips to get keycards (yes, this kept happening) - I waited approx five minutes (the only person waiting) while the solo desk clerk finished her (obviously) personal conversation with another hotel employee before acknowledging my presence. Wow - what service... Next - Concierge Staff. In the past, they have been pleasant and helpful. Now - they are all Timeshare Salesmen. You can't get away from the Westin Timeshare stuff! In the past - this was all in a separate area - now it is everywhere. Last - Manager's Cocktail Party. Went out of curiosity. Saw more Timeshare Salespeople than guests. Greeted by no one. Were there about one half hour before two hotel people finally said hello - neither asked us about our stay or if they could do anything for us. Finally - Beach Tower hasn't been updated for four years (time frames of our visits) - carpet looking very dirty, rooms becoming shabby, sliding doors kept coming off tracks in both rooms - poor overall.

Maui is great - lots to do, great weather, wonderful restaurants (book Mama's for dinner the evening you fly out..), wonderful beaches and sunsets. Go there, but avoid this hotel. We are pretty low maintenance and don't complain much. We found the service and attitude this year to be disgusting, and can't think of any reason to go spend $500/night to be treated like this again. In the past, we have always been welcomed back, and even found a fruit basket and bottle of wine in my room last year (this year is was a cheap box of chocalates we had to pick up!). I don't know what has happened since then, but I've had better treatment in a Clarion. There are lots of great hotels and resorts on Maui - this just doesn't happen to be one anymore. I'm saddened to say this, as we planned to continue going pretty much every year and stay at the Westin. But this visit was a bit much - nothing about the hotel rated well. Beware.

16 Thank WoodlandsDoc
Torrance, California
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Just returned after accepting an invitation from Starwood to stay at the Westin Resort for a greatly reduced rate. The trip was in celebration of our 25th Anniversary. Have to say that we were very pleased with our overall experience. Here are some of my thoughts:

At the bargain rate, we were not expecting to be placed in a great room. However, we were not disappointed. Our room was on the 6th floor in the Ocean Tower. We were above the parking lot, but had a great view of the golf course. Despite the parking lot, noise was not a problem. We were in our room mainly to shower & sleep. Rooms are average size and not small as indicated in previous posts. The armoire has 2 very deep drawers and a very narrow closet and also serves to hold the TV. It was quite adequate for our 5 night stay. The bed and pillows were indeed heavenly...no sore back or stiff necks. Definitely the best hotel bed we've ever slept in. Bathroom was fine, too, altho' I'm not sure why they call their showers "heavenly." Basically you get two vertically placed shower heads, so there is double the water being used to shower. I remember when Maui was suffering from a drought! It was nice having the mini-fridge and safe in the room.

Judging by the occupied poolside lounge chairs and filled parking lot, the hotel was pretty packed. Yes, it can get crowded by the pool, so best to plan to be there early if you want a prime spot. We only had to repark our car 3 times after we checked in, and never had a problem finding a spot. We liked it there so much, that we rarely left the hotel. Whaler's Village is only steps away so you easily walk there in under 5 minutes. For dining there's Hula Grill, Lelani's and a food court. There's even an ABC store for sundries. snacks, drinks & inexpensive souvenirs.

We only had one meal (dinner) at Ono's at the hotel. It was delicious, but pricey, as is most hotel dining. Decided to dine tapa-style and ended up spending $72 for two of us (and we are not big eaters!). Also had meals at Hula Grill & Leilani's at Whaler's Village which were only fair. Our best meal was at Roy's in Kahana. The concierge secured reservations on the night we requested.

Great workout facility with a great view. The three times we went it was not crowded, altho' it can be. There were also apples & protein bars in a basket if we needed a snack.

Customer service was excellent, no lines, no waiting for anything....check-in, check-out, pool towels, restaurant, concierge service and even the elevator! The staff provided excellent recommendations, also. Upon taking the advice of a bell hop, we saved quite a bit on golf club rentals. The girl at the front desk directed us to a great place near the Kahului airport to have a homestyle Hawaiian breakfast ($8 for two, including coffee) before we flew home.

Although they were not pushy in regards to touring their new property, we decided to see it anyways. Went for a continental breakfast at 9am and didn't leave until almost noon. My hubby was all set to buy into their property, but I wasn't comfortable with spending $27,000+! They did give us a $100 certificate for our time which we applied to our hotel bill and a voucher for 50% off rack rate for a future stay at any Starwood property. I think fair enough for listening to their sales pitch for 3 hours. We probably could have left earlier had my hubby not been so enthusiastic!

All in all, we left the Westin quite happy. We are now Starwood Preferred Guests!

11 Thank Z2thFairy
Colorado Springs CO
Reviewed May 30, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Westin Maui for 3 nights. We used Starwood points to get the rooms. We get 2 per night due to having 2 teenagers. We made reservations 7 months in advance. We are Starwood Gold members and have stayed in very, very nice accomodations before. We have also had our days of stays in Holiday Inn's, Ramada"s and Super 8's. We have moved up in taste from those to the Westin's, Sheraton's, Luxury Collections, Four Points and such.

We checked in and orginally were given 2 rooms overlooking the front entry area/parking lot - facing inland. We asked to be upgraded being Gold members (a perk) and were given one room upgrade but had to keep the kids in the parking lot view room. When we went up to the 4th floor room for us, we opened the door and a wall of heat hit us. We tried to turn on the air to cool it down, no big deal. Then we found out why. We walked out onto the balcony and if you were to step over the rail, you would step onto the roof of the connecting buiding. They were tarring the roof right outside our room. The view would of been of the side of the tower building that the roof we overlooked connected to our tower building. If you looked to the left you could see about 5 feet of ocean view. We called the Starwood Gold front desk (they have their own check-in desk where you don't have to wait in line) and requested a different room. There was someone different there and they gave us a room down the hall. The room had a much better view which was of palm trees and bushes just outside our balcony. If you looked down to the right, you looked at the Koi, swan, flamingo pond that you first see when coming into the hotel. We could see some ocean between the trees. We did get to see some sunsets so the view was upgraded.

The room was a different story. The minute we opened the door, the musty, moldy smell hit us. We also noticed makeup on one of the pillows. We called the express services to tell them these things. A couple hours later they sent up maids that brought new sheets and they changed out our entire bed. I mentioned that I thought the smell was the carpet and asked if they had recently shampooed it. They nodded yes, and made a phone call to someone-they talked in a language we didn't understand so I don't know what was being said. I think that they would agree with anything that I suggested was causing the smell because they didn't know where it was coming from either. Several hours later a man with a spray bottle of a chemical came up and sprayed a few places on the carpet. It worked...for about 1 day then the smell returned, as strong as ever. We decided to go to the local store and buy Fabreeze and keep spraying it until we could leave. We didn't want to keep complaining because it would get us maybe to a worse room.

The toilet had to be flushed twice each time because if not, it would clog up. We put up with that - we aren't paying the water bill.

The t.v. had really nothing on. Mostly Starwood sales information and local tourist information. There wasn't a variety of programs at all and t.v. seemed like a waste.

The bed has seen it's last days. It is time for the hotel to replace it. It doesn't have the soft luxurious feel that other Westin Heavenly beds have. It didn't have that sink down in pillow top feel that we know the Heavenly bed has.

The hotel staff takes several hours to deliver a requested item whereas at other resorts/hotels we are use to receiving it within an hour. The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort & Villa's deliver items within about 5-10 minutes! It took two phone calls to get a lightbulb for our desk lamp at the Wesin Maui and the second time no one knew if it was being delivered or not.

The Westin Maui is an older hotel. It is very, very beautiful if you see if from the lobby. The rooms leave much to be desired and the hotel has so many people walking about that it reminds me of a shopping mall at Christmas time (amount of people). You have to fight to get a spot anywhere.

The beach was very, very crowed and I likened it to Wakiki Beach. There were people just feet from us. I have kids and in no way do we dislike them but were next to people that had a young boy. He was about 3 and kept making "beeping" noises every 2 seconds that went on for a good 5 to 7 minutes. The parents didn't bother to avert his attention to something else or try to get him to stop making the annoying noise. They had no care in the world if they were bothering the people next to them or not. They were the sort of people that you meet in a lower cost/type hotel. Their was also a group of people (8) that were drinking beer, cussing, talking about everyone and smoking by us. We rented a covered cabana for one day and there were no others to rent. We had to stay where we were. They were also the type of people that you see at the lower cost hotels. I know the hotel cannot control this but it just added to the dislike of our surroundings.

If you enjoy lots of people, crowed pools, scoping out a vacant seat/plot of sand and older rooms then you may enjoy this hotel. For us, we like way, way less people, more personal service that makes us feel like we are the only ones there and cleaner/newer rooms. I don't like taking my little 6 foot wide space of sand on the beach and sharing the rest with everyone else and not being able to move if I want. We like quiet, clean, uncrowded beaches and feel like we have experienced so many different resorts/hotels that we have finally learned what a true, relaxing vacation is.

8 Thank Coloradon8tive
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#17 of 32 in Lahaina

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!