The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, Ka'anapali
$275
$407
$299
$219
Royal Lahaina Resort(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$219
$386
$329
Hyatt.com
  • Beachfront
Kaanapali Beach Hotel(Lahaina)(Great Value!)
$268
$257
getaroom.com
$1,225
5,487 results
All reviewsbeach towerwhalers villageadult poolblack swanocean viewself parkingheavenly bedpink flamingosbreakfast buffetour honeymoonhula grillspg pointskoi fishan umbrellaabc storekaanapali beachfree shuttle
Reviewed May 30, 2005

Just returned after accepting an invitation from Starwood to stay at the Westin Resort for a greatly reduced rate. The trip was in celebration of our 25th Anniversary. Have to say that we were very pleased with our overall experience. Here are some of my thoughts:

At the bargain rate, we were not expecting to be placed in a great room. However, we were not disappointed. Our room was on the 6th floor in the Ocean Tower. We were above the parking lot, but had a great view of the golf course. Despite the parking lot, noise was not a problem. We were in our room mainly to shower & sleep. Rooms are average size and not small as indicated in previous posts. The armoire has 2 very deep drawers and a very narrow closet and also serves to hold the TV. It was quite adequate for our 5 night stay. The bed and pillows were indeed heavenly...no sore back or stiff necks. Definitely the best hotel bed we've ever slept in. Bathroom was fine, too, altho' I'm not sure why they call their showers "heavenly." Basically you get two vertically placed shower heads, so there is double the water being used to shower. I remember when Maui was suffering from a drought! It was nice having the mini-fridge and safe in the room.

Judging by the occupied poolside lounge chairs and filled parking lot, the hotel was pretty packed. Yes, it can get crowded by the pool, so best to plan to be there early if you want a prime spot. We only had to repark our car 3 times after we checked in, and never had a problem finding a spot. We liked it there so much, that we rarely left the hotel. Whaler's Village is only steps away so you easily walk there in under 5 minutes. For dining there's Hula Grill, Lelani's and a food court. There's even an ABC store for sundries. snacks, drinks & inexpensive souvenirs.

We only had one meal (dinner) at Ono's at the hotel. It was delicious, but pricey, as is most hotel dining. Decided to dine tapa-style and ended up spending $72 for two of us (and we are not big eaters!). Also had meals at Hula Grill & Leilani's at Whaler's Village which were only fair. Our best meal was at Roy's in Kahana. The concierge secured reservations on the night we requested.

Great workout facility with a great view. The three times we went it was not crowded, altho' it can be. There were also apples & protein bars in a basket if we needed a snack.

Customer service was excellent, no lines, no waiting for anything....check-in, check-out, pool towels, restaurant, concierge service and even the elevator! The staff provided excellent recommendations, also. Upon taking the advice of a bell hop, we saved quite a bit on golf club rentals. The girl at the front desk directed us to a great place near the Kahului airport to have a homestyle Hawaiian breakfast ($8 for two, including coffee) before we flew home.

Although they were not pushy in regards to touring their new property, we decided to see it anyways. Went for a continental breakfast at 9am and didn't leave until almost noon. My hubby was all set to buy into their property, but I wasn't comfortable with spending $27,000+! They did give us a $100 certificate for our time which we applied to our hotel bill and a voucher for 50% off rack rate for a future stay at any Starwood property. I think fair enough for listening to their sales pitch for 3 hours. We probably could have left earlier had my hubby not been so enthusiastic!

All in all, we left the Westin quite happy. We are now Starwood Preferred Guests!

11  Thank Z2thFairy
Reviewed May 30, 2005

My family and I stayed at the Westin Maui for 3 nights. We used Starwood points to get the rooms. We get 2 per night due to having 2 teenagers. We made reservations 7 months in advance. We are Starwood Gold members and have stayed in very, very nice accomodations before. We have also had our days of stays in Holiday Inn's, Ramada"s and Super 8's. We have moved up in taste from those to the Westin's, Sheraton's, Luxury Collections, Four Points and such.

We checked in and orginally were given 2 rooms overlooking the front entry area/parking lot - facing inland. We asked to be upgraded being Gold members (a perk) and were given one room upgrade but had to keep the kids in the parking lot view room. When we went up to the 4th floor room for us, we opened the door and a wall of heat hit us. We tried to turn on the air to cool it down, no big deal. Then we found out why. We walked out onto the balcony and if you were to step over the rail, you would step onto the roof of the connecting buiding. They were tarring the roof right outside our room. The view would of been of the side of the tower building that the roof we overlooked connected to our tower building. If you looked to the left you could see about 5 feet of ocean view. We called the Starwood Gold front desk (they have their own check-in desk where you don't have to wait in line) and requested a different room. There was someone different there and they gave us a room down the hall. The room had a much better view which was of palm trees and bushes just outside our balcony. If you looked down to the right, you looked at the Koi, swan, flamingo pond that you first see when coming into the hotel. We could see some ocean between the trees. We did get to see some sunsets so the view was upgraded.

The room was a different story. The minute we opened the door, the musty, moldy smell hit us. We also noticed makeup on one of the pillows. We called the express services to tell them these things. A couple hours later they sent up maids that brought new sheets and they changed out our entire bed. I mentioned that I thought the smell was the carpet and asked if they had recently shampooed it. They nodded yes, and made a phone call to someone-they talked in a language we didn't understand so I don't know what was being said. I think that they would agree with anything that I suggested was causing the smell because they didn't know where it was coming from either. Several hours later a man with a spray bottle of a chemical came up and sprayed a few places on the carpet. It worked...for about 1 day then the smell returned, as strong as ever. We decided to go to the local store and buy Fabreeze and keep spraying it until we could leave. We didn't want to keep complaining because it would get us maybe to a worse room.

The toilet had to be flushed twice each time because if not, it would clog up. We put up with that - we aren't paying the water bill.

The t.v. had really nothing on. Mostly Starwood sales information and local tourist information. There wasn't a variety of programs at all and t.v. seemed like a waste.

The bed has seen it's last days. It is time for the hotel to replace it. It doesn't have the soft luxurious feel that other Westin Heavenly beds have. It didn't have that sink down in pillow top feel that we know the Heavenly bed has.

The hotel staff takes several hours to deliver a requested item whereas at other resorts/hotels we are use to receiving it within an hour. The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort & Villa's deliver items within about 5-10 minutes! It took two phone calls to get a lightbulb for our desk lamp at the Wesin Maui and the second time no one knew if it was being delivered or not.

The Westin Maui is an older hotel. It is very, very beautiful if you see if from the lobby. The rooms leave much to be desired and the hotel has so many people walking about that it reminds me of a shopping mall at Christmas time (amount of people). You have to fight to get a spot anywhere.

The beach was very, very crowed and I likened it to Wakiki Beach. There were people just feet from us. I have kids and in no way do we dislike them but were next to people that had a young boy. He was about 3 and kept making "beeping" noises every 2 seconds that went on for a good 5 to 7 minutes. The parents didn't bother to avert his attention to something else or try to get him to stop making the annoying noise. They had no care in the world if they were bothering the people next to them or not. They were the sort of people that you meet in a lower cost/type hotel. Their was also a group of people (8) that were drinking beer, cussing, talking about everyone and smoking by us. We rented a covered cabana for one day and there were no others to rent. We had to stay where we were. They were also the type of people that you see at the lower cost hotels. I know the hotel cannot control this but it just added to the dislike of our surroundings.

If you enjoy lots of people, crowed pools, scoping out a vacant seat/plot of sand and older rooms then you may enjoy this hotel. For us, we like way, way less people, more personal service that makes us feel like we are the only ones there and cleaner/newer rooms. I don't like taking my little 6 foot wide space of sand on the beach and sharing the rest with everyone else and not being able to move if I want. We like quiet, clean, uncrowded beaches and feel like we have experienced so many different resorts/hotels that we have finally learned what a true, relaxing vacation is.

8  Thank Coloradon8tive
Reviewed May 30, 2005

The pool area was amazing with several pools and waterfalls. There were few kids, mostly couples. The "heavenly" bed was about what you would find at a Ritz Carlton. Great location right on the main beach were all the action is. The only problem was when we checked in they were going to give me and my fiance two double beds even though I reserved a king. This was our wedding/honeymoon and I would not accept that, so they upgraded us to a deluxe ocean view. TIP: Become a starwood member so you can check in faster and possibly get an upgrade.
My now husband has stayed at the Ritz in Maui and said if he came back he would stay at the Westin instead because of it's location and pool.

1  Thank texasbeez
A TripAdvisor Member
Green Bay, WI
Reviewed May 29, 2005

As my rating indicates this hotel was "okay". We arrived to find that there was a prom being held that night and there wasn't a parking spot to be found. In all fairness they did valet park us for free unless you count the tip they still expected. Throughout our 6 night stay parking continued to be a huge hassle. The slots are not even big enough for a standard car much less a mini-van. I think they should take that $18 a day resort fee and build a parking ramp. We went to see the sunrise at Haleakala and needed to leave at 3 a.m. one morning. When we got to our cars we found that valet parking had double parked all of us in. We had to wait for someone to find all the keys to the cars that were in the way and move them.

At check-in we asked for a roll-out cot for our daughter. (There is no space in the room for a sleeper sofa.) Before leaving the hotel in the evening we called again as a reminder and were told not to worry. When we got back from the Whaler Village still no bed. It took 3 more calls of being told it would be there (an hour later still no bed and a very tired 7 year old asleep in our bed.) Finally after having had enough we finally got ahold of a manager and had a bed in a matter of minutes. (My brother went through the same ordeal with his bed request)

The rooms are not very big and storage is very minimal. We put our dd's items in the night stand drawers. Our fridge was very small and seemed to be putting out heat not cold. The fridge in my mom's room was twice as big and worked fine (she had a double bed room). The bed was very nice with a super fluffy comforter.

The bathrooms are okay. Not as spectacular as they want you to think but okay nonetheless. They do give high end toiletries which do have a very strong scent. We did get our daily water bottles. They say it is complimentary but remember that is also what your $18 resort fee is supposed to cover. Wireless is included which my dh loved.

The grounds were simply gorgeous!! We were on the 7th floor with an ocean front view and it was truly stunning. One thing I probably would have preferred was the sound of the ocean vs. the overwhelming sound of the manmade waterfall, especially at night. The end of March was an extremely windy time. This made for some disappointments when it came to whale watching and going to Molokini. Due to school schedules this was the only time we could go but be forewarned the weather at this time is not what we dreamed of when we thought of Hawaii.

We had no problems with the towel lines at the pool as they moved very quickly. More difficult was getting a chair anywere at the pool. Pretty much I let my child go swim within sight and I scouted out a seat or waited for someone to leave. It was the week after Easter so I expected this and tried not to get to cranky about it. The staff was enforcing the rule about losing your chair if it is left unoccupied for more then 30 minutes. They also did a very good job of keeping chairs open to guests only. My dd loved the huge snow cones they sold at the poolside food counter.

It is a bit of a stroll down to Black Rock but not really bad at all. It is close to many restaurants and stores. We also went to Safeway and got basic groceries. Since our fridge was crummy we had to borrow some space in my mom's. My SIL signed up for a Safeway discount card and then we all took turns using it.

It was a nice perk going down to the Sheraton to use their pool . We liked the Westin's a whole lot better but it was nice to have options. I would say that I saw more Sheraton visitors at the Westin pool then vice-versa. (you can tell by the color of the arm bands). My dd wanted a hair braid and when I inquired about them I was very rudely told that I needed to call the hair salon if I wanted an appt. If they don't want to talk to people then why not put out a sign explaining how it all works?

All in all this is a beautiful hotel with average services and amenities.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Richmond, VA
Reviewed May 27, 2005

My huband and I stayed at the Westin Maui and were excited when we checked in to see the beautiful lobby. That all changed when we checked into our room. We stayed on the 11th floor and had a beautiful view but the housekeeping was horrible. The hallways are dark and the bathroom lighting is circa 1960's. Although the furniture and carpets are new the upkeep is less than par. There were stains on the carpet and the furniture was very well worn. Upon arrival, we went to the pool. I couldn't figure out if it was a circus or a resort pool. There was hardly any room to walk, it was loud and they had tents where you could get a massage, schedule water activities, get your nails done, get a snack etc... If you want peace and quiet this is the last place you should go in Hawaii. We will never stay here again. Don't waste your money.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member