“Wonderful Upscale Hotel, Location and Beach”

Westin Maui Resort And Spa
Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful Upscale Hotel, Location and Beach”
Reviewed August 10, 2004

The Westin K'aanapali Hotel was fabulous. My husband and two sons ages 12 and 14 and I had a fantastic time. I learned something from locals about the beachfront which I will pass on. We spent the 3rd week of April 2004 at the Westin. Prior to booking, I read many reviews here, some of which complained about the beach front being poor. Yet, it was great when we went. Locals told us that it is common that being an island, wind, currents, etc., literally change the beach year round. Some months, the beach at one hotel will be superb and other months much of the beach may have been swept away. In short, it is a constantly changing situation and that accounts for the inconsistant reviews regarding the beach. Our family of 4 was comfortable in our hotel room, but it was just a room with two double heavenly beds and an armoire. Our room had a mountain view of the pineapple fields - it was lovely and this was the "cheep/undesireabale" view. The grounds have been well described here already and they are fabulous. Service was tops. It's pricey, for example, a snow cone by the pool was $5.00. We liked being next door to the Whaler Village for browsing and film development. Laihaina town has a great Longs Drug Store and Safeway and many restaurants. Our sons learned to surf at "Dukes" and had a terrific time. Great instructor. While we were there, we checked out the Embassy Suites. For a family, this might be a better choice for elbow room. Very nice property, also. But we were very happy with the Westin.

• Stayed April 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 2, 2004

The Westin Maui was amazing. My husband and I were married at the resort on July 1st and it exceeded all of our expectations! Sheryl, the wedding coordinator, planned everything to perfection. Our ceremony was wonderful and our dinner reception with our family was incredible. We were able to dine in the massage tent by the pool overlooking the beach - very intimate and private. We loved our hotel room and enjoyed each day we spent at the hotel. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

Trophy Club, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at the Westin Maui in May 2004. It was fabulous. This was not our first trip to Hawaii, but it was our best. The hotel is relaxing and GORGEOUS. I am very picky about where I will stay, and this resort was awesome. The pools were the best I've ever seen - and the reason why I chose this hotel. Beautiful waterfalls and flowers everywhere. The location is fabulous - directly on Kaanapali Beach with Whaler's Village next door. The room was a little small, but every room has a balcony. We had a mountain view (over the parking lot), but it was still beautiful. We could see rainbows from our balcony in the afternoon. The lobby was breathtaking - and friends viewing our photos couldn't believe it! If you're looking for a relaxing vacation, this is the place. Poolside service was friendly. We spent many days just relaxing by the pool with a few frozen drinks. There is an adults-only pool (another reason I selected this hotel), but also a water slide and pool activities for the kids and big kids. We were also within a short stroll to the other resorts along the beach for more dining options. Swan Court at the Hyatt is pricey, but has gorgeous views and grounds.

Reviewed July 29, 2004

My husband I spent the first 5 nights of our honeymoon at the Westin, Maui. It was everything I could have wanted in a honeymoon vacation. We found the setting to be beautiful with tons of waterfalls, grottos, and native wild life. The staff was very pleasant and upgraded our room catagory upon arrival. We had complimentary buffet breakfasts each morning included in our package and it was the best breakfast we had ever had. So many choices and the freshest pineapple I have ever tasted. We did find the pool temperature to be a little colder than what we expected for Hawaii (October) but it was bearable in the hot afternoon sun. We didn't feel that the place was overrun with kids. There was a nice mix. The walking path along the beach is amazing. There are gorgeous views. The beach was nice to walk on in the morning and evening. The water was much too rough for us to swim. We were content with the pool. The Heavenly beds and showers were great. We contemplated buying the stuff for home. All in all, this place was great. Close to it all, yet very beautiful, well kept, and calming. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2004

Stayed at the Westin from 7/13/04-7/17/04 after spending four nights in Waikiki. The Westin is amazing and was more than we could ask for. It sits right on Kaanapali beach, and is only a few miles from Lahaina, which has plenty of eating and shopping available. From the moment we arrived, the staff was great. Everyone was very helpful and accomodating, from the bell person at the front door to the attendants around the pools and along the beach. Our mountain view room was wonderful, with plenty of space, nice furnishings and decor, and some of the best hotel beds we have ever slept on. In addition to that, the hotel grounds are fantastic...acres of lush tropical plants and trees, fish ponds with koi, flamingoes, and swans, and many walking paths and waterfalls throughout the gardens. Simply amazing! The five pools were great, and of course the beach is literally just a few steps away.

As to the other reviewers for this hotel, yes the hotel and pool areas are crowded...what do you expect in Hawaii in the middle of the summer??? In regards to the parking, we had a rental car, and yes, if you come back to the hotel after about 9:00pm, the self-service parking lot is usually full. But if the lot is full the valets will park your car for no charge...all you have to do is ask. We took advantage of this and it was no problem at all. Finally, to those who always complain about the resort charge...I agree, I don't understand why the hotels issue this separate charge. Why don't they just raise the room rates by that amount, since you will end up paying the fee anyway? But more to the point, why do people always complain about it in the reviews? When you booked your room, you surely knew you would be hit with this charge...if you don't want to pay it, THEN DON'T STAY THERE! We knew about it when we made our reservations months earlier, and it was no big deal, just a part of the cost of the trip.

• Stayed July 2004
2 Thank har_d_har
Pasadena, California
Reviewed July 24, 2004

After reading many of the reviews I felt we were prepared for the ups and downs of the Westin.
Thanks to previous entries we stocked up at the Costco next to the airport - water, dried fruit, cereal, and VERY IMPORTANT, a beach umbrella. Great advice! We asked the hotel to empty the minibar fridge. After a stop at the local Safeway for milk and paper bowls, we were able to have a quick breakfast in our room. The Westin's breakfast buffet is good. It's $20 per adult. Our 8 year old ate free. But sometimes one doesn't want to do a big breakfast every day.

The hotel staff was friendly and took care of our requests promptly. On check-in we had dirty linens on the bed but they rectified this pretty fast. The Ono Grill staff was good, too. Only one bartender up at the adult pool was grumpy.

Our mountain view room had a pretty view but had no closet and only a small amount of armoire space - not enough for 3 people. But we did bring too many clothes for a beach resort holiday.

We were surprised that the pool was empty every night. We love to swim at night. But the water was too cold and the pool area was very dark and uninviting. Oh well.

Our biggest complaint about the Westin is the lack of poolside seating and shade. There are only a few palapa umbrellas and the seats there are "reserved" with towels and paperback books by 8 AM. And yes, many of these "reserved spots" do sit empty for hours. The hotel will rent you a movable umbrella on a tripod for $15 a day. A rip off!! They're useless on the beach because they are too flimsy for the wind. Buy a Costco umbrella instead. But this only works at the beach, not poolside. The other disappointing thing was the cost of the beach cabana chairs. These cost $50 a day even for guests and even if you only want them for a short time. Other hotels on the island do not gouge their guests this way.

All in all, we liked the location and the beach there. But we will probably not return to the Westin. I feel that their real reason to exist there is to sell their timeshares ( I call them "timescares"). This is the driving force of the hotel. Every nook and cranny is devoted to this purpose and it shows.

2 Thank bellref
Dallas
Reviewed July 24, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in the beginning of May for 5 wonderful nights after leaving the Mariott in Kauai for 4 nights (please see my review on Mariott, great hotel!). Let me start by saying that we travel extensively and only stay in the nicest hotels and are very picky about our trips simply because we work hard to save money to travel and it is by far our favorite thing to do. With that being said, I don't think even my review can do this hotel justice. It is probably now my favorite place to stay ANYWHERE! In a nutshell, opulence is everywhere - lobby,grounds,rooms, pool, beach,etc. We spent our 2nd year wedding anniversary here and had booked a partial o.view. They upgraded us to a ocean view which overlooked the entire pool, beach, etc. - simply breathtaking! Everything is beyond perfect at the Westin: the concierge, the Amer.Express office, restraunts, gym, spa, and location,location,location. I'm not in the travel business but always like to check out other hotels if time to see if I'm staying at the best. I walked along the 3 mile beach and saw all the other high-end hotels, Hyatt,etc. and definately made the right pick. Even went up north to Ritz and Kapalua Bay to eat and even though they were beautiful, the location of Westin and perfect blend of activity vs. relaxation far exceeded these hotels. Westin has a phenomenal pool that can't be beat!! This is the perfect hotel for any age and families/couples alike. I use the word perfect rarely, but this hotel definately deserves it. I will not stay anywhere else in Lahaina on future trips!! However, if we return and decide to stay more South, we will stay at the Fairmont - heard and have read countless glowing reviews, including from my travel agent who is a Hawaii Vacation Specialist. When in Maui, I also recommend Mountain Riders (Bobby and Adam were great) for the volcano tour- do not go with anyone else. This company and tour will far exceed your expectations. The best tour ever - even beats the helicopter tours and road to Hana. However, Hana is great and you must do TEMPTATION TOURS, the only way to do Hana(www.----------------------). I have done many stylish and personalized chaffeured tours and this is one of the best, definately worth the money. (Randall was also a great tour guide). To wrap up, Maui is the place to be if looking for activity and paradise. Kauai is beyond beautiful but Maui has more activity/nightlife, but not too much like Oahu (too crowded/commercialized). If staying in Lahaina, spoil yourself and stay at the Westin (pref. in partial or ocean view room) and you will not be dissapointed!!!

4 Thank travelinspiration
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Grand Wailea - A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!