“Great pool area!”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Burbank, California
“Great pool area!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

The place is nice, but for us it was all about the pool, the beach, and the whalers village right next door. Everything else is about average. This was my second time staying here, and the second time I requested an ocean view, and once again my view was obstructed by trees. I did have a view of the waterfall outside the lobby area and all the koi which wasn't so bad. :/. The staff is nice and the No Ka Oi Mai Tai's did the trick.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,331)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Coquitlam, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Although my brother has stayed at the Westin Maui Resort and Spa many times, this was our first time and we'd certainly recommend it for travellers who want a hotel -- rather than a condo-hotel -- experience.
First, the hotel is lovely, peaceful and welcoming, and the staff, as has been our experience at many Westin properties, were super friendly and helpful. It's hard to beat the location as it's a 5-minute drive from Front Street in Lahaina and next door to Whaler's Village, with an abundance of shops and restaurants. It's also right on the boardwalk, a great route to take a morning stroll.
The hotel is undergoing upgrades and, although our room hadn't yet been done -- it was in need of some sprucing up -- it was large, had a nice lanai and even an ocean view.
Food, drinks and service were all excellent at the hotel, and the gym was large, clean and bright.
And to top it all off, on Day 2, we had left for us in our room a Mai Tai Kit: booze, fruit juice, fresh fruit and instructions to make the popular drink, plus a plate of fruit and mini muffins, which we saved for the next morning's breakfast. I called downstairs to ask why and was told they do this randomly for guests. What a nice treat and what a nice hotel.
One other thing: Guests are offered the option of foregoing housekeeping service in exchange for SPG points or a credit for food at hotel restaurants. We loved having that option of going a few days without towels washed and bed made, and being rewarded for it was a bonus.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rich-COQ
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed at the Westin for three nights before moving on to a time share at the Marriott just up the beach. We paid extra for an ocean view room. We are SPG members and asked for a room on an upper floor but they could not accommodate that request and placed us in a handicapped room with a view mostly obstructed by palm trees due to the low floor. On our first day there the elevators did not work for a good portion of the day. This was, as you can imagine, quite an inconvenience. Westin made no attempt to make up for this in any way. I would expect a better effort from them at this price point. I guess business is really good. The pools are terrific - beautiful and clean. The adult pool area was quiet and peaceful. Pool side service was poor. There was a Starbucks on the first level which was very understaffed in the morning prompting long lines. Valet service was erratic. I called for my car on two occasions only to find, when I reached the lobby, that they had not received the message for some reason. Staff were pleasant and helpful throughout our stay. This resort did not measure up to other establishments we have stayed at on Kaanapali beach.

1 Thank GlennR
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We paid $430/night for 7 nights at this property to celebrate our anniversary and we left feeling like we were totally ripped off. Verdict: We will not stay at this property again nor will we recommend it to anyone. PROS: Food at Relish, servers, drinks at bars, outside landscaping, fire dancer dinner, location - All EXCELLENT! CONS (sorry, this part is going to ramble a bit because I am so disappointed): Room, front desk, room service - food/cleaning, value, cleanliness of pool. 1) Room - Looked old, nothing special about it AT ALL, 2) Front Desk - It took us FOREVER to check in and there was a massive line. The man who helped us mentioned there was an envelope waiting for us and yet forgot to give it to us. I walked away and then realized a minute later that he forgot to give us letter. He was already helping someone else (still massive line, didn't want to be rude so I tried to wait within his sight to get his attention). MANAGER saw me standing there and walked near me (I knew she was doing something but I thought grabbing the letter wouldn't be too big of a deal for her), so I just started asking her if she could help me really quickly and she cut me off mid sentence saying she was "helping a customer" - In a tone that didn't make ME feel like any kind of customer. I said, "Ok" and stopped talking. She then told me that I "could not be standing where I was standing and that I needed to move." Sorry I didn't realize I was parked in a red zone on your massive front desk. So rude. I didn't say anything to her and I didn't have any more patience for the front desk that had already wasted 25 minutes of my time so I just left without the envelope. They ended our night making us grumpy and they started our morning making us grumpy as well. 3) Room service - Cleaning staff arrived at our door at 8am, I opened the door (actually expecting it to be the room service I had ordered for breakfast at 8am to surprise my husband to start the day special for our anniversary) and they said sorry, and then lectured me about putting the do not disturb sign on the door. Ok thanks, I won't make that mistake again and you didn't need to repeat yourself 3 times. The room service came an hour late - I had to find ways to keep my husband from leaving the room for breakfast. When it finally arrived, it was missing a lot of extra stuff that I had requested. The staff rectified the missing items very quickly (which was great!), but the free champagne the food service lady told me would be given to us for celebrating a special day at the hotel was not there (whatever it was free, I didn't ask for them to bring it up again - Yay, really making us feel special now!!!). At this point, I literally considered leaving the property. Also, with regards to room cleaning service, some of the items in the room were used when we arrived and were not replenished on a regular basis. I had to go down to the Starbucks onsite twice to grab some extra things to help replenish the coffee station in our room. 4) Value - $430 a night, BUT you also have to pay $25 per person to use the sauna/whirlpool in the spa, $15/person for snorkel gear, + $$$ for pool toys and basically anything else they can possibly extort $$$ from people. Nickel and dimmed at $430/night? What is the resort fee for? Oh, the free bottles of water in your room - if they feel like replenishing them. For the record, I would have totally accepted all of this crap at $300/night. 5) Cleanliness of Pool - It seemed nice in the beginning! Over the course of the 7 days we were there, I got sort of grossed out swimming past the same lime in the pool, band-aid, wristband, paper towel... ick. My recommendation: Stay at the Sheraton down the way or spend an extra $150/night for the Four Season in Kihei. Just do it and be happy. Sorry for the ramble. Not a happy camper.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
12 Thank Lauren G
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Dear Lauren G.,

We'd first like to thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your special occasion. Congratulations!. We are saddened to hear that we provided you with a less than perfect stay. As our goal is to make you leave us feeling well cared for, it is evident that we missed the mark in your case. Please accept our apologies for the string of issues that you endured as well as missing the opportunity to truly recognize your special occasion. We would be grateful to have the chance to speak with your personally to gain further details of the interactions that will allow us to follow up thoroughly. We have sent you a private message requesting for your contact information so that we may reach out to you. Thank you very much for your feedback. Again, we apologize and look forward to hearing from you soon. Mahalo.
Chico, California
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Great views and a wonderful resort, felt tropical and the staff was great. The view from our room was amazing and sitting out with a coffee in the morning was perfect. The pools are nice, but the service was only ok, saw the drink lady maybe twice and they are kinda nuts about their towels. Understandable with all the beach traffic, but still. Overall the room was great, view was amazing, and the staff were all courteous and friendly.

We loved the flamingo lobby pool area, so relaxing and peaceful. And my wife fell in love with the comfy bed, she is looking to buy one for our house now, it was that good.

Bountiful, Utah
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here in December 2013 and were fortunate to get a room that had been redone. It was on the 6th floor and so we had a lovely view of the pools and the ocean. The room was quite large, the bedding very cozy and comfortable. The air conditioning worked very well as we like to keep our room around 68 at night. The staff was very courteous and accommodating. We checked in a couple of hours early and they quickly got us our room so we could rest. Loved the walks down the beach to Black Rock and watch people diving in. There were turtles and lots of fish around this area, so it was great for snorkeling.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SLC
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We recently stayed at the Westin Maui resort and were very impressed with the beautiful lobby and the wonderful art in the entry halls. We were rather surprised though when the desk clerk said that our room (with a view) on the 6th floor only had two double beds. If we wanted a larger bed, our only option was on the 2nd floor. We accepted the room with a king bed and were surprised to find it overlooked the roof of the luau, and the garbage dumpsters, with a slice of ocean view. We have had worse, and the king bed was extremely comfortable, so we were OK with the situation. Our primary complaint we had for the week though was that there was no vanity light over the sink. We spoke to the maid twice, two employees from "engineering" and the desk manager and still could never get a light replaced over the sink. I do understand that some people have limitations on what they can accomplish, but I find it very annoying when someone smiles at you and says "it will be taken care of" and it is not taken care of. I hope they at least repaired the light before the next guest arrived.

Also, if you can not stomach $8 for a yogurt for breakfast, there is a Subway in the Whaler's Village just up the beach that serves an egg breakfast flat bread, with a drink, for about $3.50.

Room Tip: Room 254 doesn't have a view worth paying for.
5 Thank TWJSLC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
#1 of 32 in Lahaina
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!