“NOT a place for relaxation!!!”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed August 12, 2008

After leaving the Fairmont Kea Lani in Wailea (5 nights), we decided to spend 2 nights at this end of the island for the snorkeling close by. In the end, we didn't get a chance to snorkel, and in retrospect, I should have just stayed in Wailea.
Check in was fast and we were able to get into our room rather quickly. We changed our clothes and went to the pool. The landscaping was very nice and the pool layout was nice, however we were unable to find any place to sit. We finally found a chaise by the beach area and had to climb onto the chair as they were wedged together everywhere. I have never seen so many people. The pool was packed and did not look very clean.
Everywhere we went, we saw time share sales. This was on the beach as well as on the property. We did not see anything like this in Wailea.
If you're looking for a fun family place, this is it. If you are looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation, look elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Exodus1
Write a ReviewReviews (5,276)

Reviewed August 12, 2008

can't beat the location, right on the beach with the boardwalk connecting to the neighboring properties including the whaler's village right next door. the interconnecting pools with waterfalls, slide and grotto are fantastic. the hot tub is ridiculously small for the size of the resort. rooms were good, not great. views were fantastic. staff was cheery and helpful. we booked our boating activites at a vendor next door (for the same boat) for a better price.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank redsox999
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We didn't take advantage of the amenities because we kept an eye on our budget.

There are "free" gifts from the hotel and associated vendors, but they lead to a hard sell for other goods/services (such as timeshare presentations, photography services, etc).

There are "accommodation fees" that include parking, wi-fi, etc. $25/day for non-valet parking. $35/day for valet parking.

The rooms were nice, we had the "deluxe golf mountain view" which overlooks the parking lot THEN to the golf course and the mountain in the background.

Service is very friendly, but I got wary of the different goods/services each person would pitch.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bbk3e
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Friendly staff, great location. Sit in a cabana and zone out while the waves roll in.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank guitarcali
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My family and I just returned from Maui. We had a great time in spite of some of the disappointments the Westin provided.
I was expecting after reading other reviews for the staff to be terrible but I only encountered one rude staff member at the front desk. She could have been the token one. All the pool staff was very friendly and the maid service was excellant. As I write this I realize anyone working for a tip was friendly!
My biggest issues was the price I paid for my ocean view room and was not offered an upgrade and was given a room with a view of the roof. If you stay in the ocean tower stay in the upper floors (above 6). Do not be on an end room because the sun beats into the room and the air conditioning has a hard time keeping it cool. Also the electricity would shut off if we had the tv and the hair dryer going at the same time. The rooms are rather small and there is no closets in the ocean tower. However we only need the room to sleep so it was fine. Also a problem I had read about was the crowded pool. It was definately crowded. The only way to get a seat is to get up early. Alot of people save seats. I was not going to do this but after 4 days of being in the sun I needed shade so my son saved me a spot at 7 am, and trust me most were taken already. There is not enough shade offered around the pools.
If you want to have a pleasant stay and a nice room stay in the Beach Tower my friends were upgraded for free, they arrived two days before me, also plan on getting up early for a seat by the pool. This was my fourth vacation to Maui, I definately recommend the Sheraton or the Hyatt over the Westin.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank JSASanClemente
Reviewed August 6, 2008

This was our family's first trip to Maui. We chose the Westin after researching many resorts and talking to friends. We were not disappointed! Upon check-in we were greeted by a very friendly staff member who upgraded us to a corner suite that overlooked both the ocean and the pool area. The 1300 square foot upgraded suite was more than we had ever bargained for. Our family( my husband, 22 year old, 19 year old and myself) were really able to relax in luxury. The Heavenly Beds are truly heavenly! The Westin has two wonderful restaurants that we enjoyed. The happy hour from 3-5 pm was a great break from the sun and sand, and the 8-10 pm happy hour was a great way to end the day. We enjoyed the pool area and the unlimited use of towels. Never had a problem getting a lounge chair. The proximityy to the Whaler Village was a real plus for browsing or catching necessities at the ABC store. We would go back to the Westin anytime.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ineedavacation4
Reviewed August 4, 2008

We were not huge fans of the Westin Maui. We had really great expectations after reading some of the reviews here, but all in all we were very disappointed with the hotel.

From the moment we checked in we ran into multiple problems and rude staff. We are Gold SPG members and had hoped for an upgrade, but were not given one. There were 3 in our party, but they did not have a room with doubles so they had to give us a king room and then move us the next day. It would have been nice to unpack the first day vs having to move rooms. Plus, they told us our old keys would work on our new room - my husband dropped us off while he ran an errand and when I discovered my key did not work I went to the front desk to have them correct the problem and they would not give me another key since I did not have my drivers license with me. I appreciate their attentiveness to security and all, but they left my son and me stranded in the lobby until my husband came back because they gave me wrong information about the key working vs giving me a new key to begin with. I told them I could give them any other kind of proof, but they would not accept anything except my DL. This hotel is so caught up in their "rules" that they put that before helping a guest.

The rooms are some of the smallest rooms I've ever stayed in! There are no closets either so with three people, luggage all over the place, and no closet to put things in it was very cramped to say the least.

The pool was always over crowded and we had lots of trouble finding chairs.

The Good: The slides and pool itself were nice. The restaurants seemed to be pretty good. The location and proximity to Whalers Village was wonderful.

We have stayed at the Marriott and the Sheraton on Kaanapaili Beach before and would pick either of those over the Westin any day. See my review for the Sheraton Maui that I recently posted.

From what I can see, this hotel sells the package deals and they have 100's of families in and out of the hotel all the time on the cheaper packages vs the Sheraton does not have that going for them so the customer service was much much better down there. If you are a SPG member I would highly recommend the Sheraton any day!!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank oneterrificshopper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Kaanapali Beach Hotel
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!