“Great Luau”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Lahaina
Palm Desert
“Great Luau”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We went to the Westin Maui for the luau, we stayed at another hotel but the luau at the Westin was supposed to be fabulous and it was. The entertainment was great they had all kinds of dancers from all the different Pacific Islands. It was very enjoyable and impressive. The food was great and plenty of it

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank desertrat161

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,363)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2013

A wonderful experience allround. Loved eveything about this hotel, especially as you were able to eat out of the hotel restaurants due to the close proximity of other food choices. We always find eating at resorts expensive.The pool and beach were fabulous, keeping my 2 teenagers entertained most of our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen H
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We went to the Westin for my friends wedding and although he arranged for us to have a free upgrade and our room had beautiful views etc... the room itself was dated. They were doing a lot of renovations / construction but apparently hadn't got to our room yet. The prices for drinks and good were just shy of being ridiculous! They actually charged me $4.00 for a Sprite for my daughter with no refills. The $30 per person breakfast buffet was horrible so if you have breakfast go next door near Whalers Village to Miami Fish! Don't waste you time or money eating at the hotel! I will say that the only bright side of our entire stay was the Pool and Activities Staff. We did quite a few activities on the beach and Mike Gentry (Big Mike as we got to know him) always met us with a smile and was always willing to do anything to help! Maybe they should try putting him at the front desk as when we checked in the front desk clerk acted like it was a pain to check us in and was doing us a favor by cutting their $50 per day resort fee to $15! This included the use of things such as their High Speed Internet which never worked once the entire trip! They couldn't even get it to work at the front desk! Anyway, I personally wouldn't go back and stay at the Westin but I would go back to hello to Big Mike!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tom M
San Diego
Reviewed October 15, 2013

It should first be said that the grounds and beach are beautiful. Of all of the hotels along this stretch of Kaanapali, the Westin absolutely has the best pool and pool area.

However, the hotel was under a large renovation when we were there for our honeymoon (September 2013), which we were not made of aware of. When I tried to get our room changed due to the unbearably loud noise coming from directly above us, the woman at the front desk just kept saying that "our website and all travel agencies have information that the hotel is under renovation." I actually had to go to my room, pull up Priceline & the Westin website, and then bring my computer down to show the woman that neither website had any information about the renovation. Again she was not willing to entertain my request. I asked to speak with a manager, and she said to give her my phone number and a manager would call me to speak to me. After 24 hours, when no manager had called, I went back to the front desk to say that a manager hadn't called. The same woman said that a manager would definitely call me within 20 minutes. After ANOTHER 24 hours, I went back to the front desk and said a manager hadn't called for 48 hours. Again, the same woman said that a manger would call me, but I refused to leave until I spoke to a manager in person. She went to the back, and lo and behold, a manager came out to speak with me right away. The manager actually was very kind and resolved the issue to my satisfaction, moving us to a quieter room for no charge. For a hotel that claims to be a "five star resort" however, this was unacceptable customer service.

The noise in our new room was better, though still loud. Relaxing in the room at any point during the day was impossible due to the noise. The $30 per day "resort fee" was an added insult, considering the hassles I experienced, and the ongoing construction. I managed to negotiate away part of the resort fee at the end of the trip.

Additional details--the rooms we experienced (not yet renovated) were 1- or 2- star rooms at best. Small and cramped (no closet, just a dresser drawer that took up too much of the limited floor space). The room door would get stuck on the carpet and wouldn't close without a hard push. The knobs on the sinks would come off at least once a day.

If I could plan our honeymoon again, I would absolutely not consider the Westin. Call ahead and ask if the renovation is complete. If not, I recommend looking for another hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Howard W
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Aloha Howard W,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We regret to hear that your Honeymoon experience was affected by our Guestroom Refresh Project and that you were not notified prior to your arrival as well as not getting immediate response from our management team. Please accept our sincere apologies. Your comments have been forwarded to our team and taken into consideration for service improvements as we go through renovation. Thank you for your valuable feedback. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and share our new and inspiring room product while providing you with a flawless stay. Congratulations on your nuptials and again, we apologize. Mahalo.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We booked this hotel because we loved it the last time we stayed and because we received a great deal with Pleasant Holidays package. The reason for 3 stars were due to the quality of the rooms being just OK. We were pleasantly greeted upon check-in and given a upgrade to a premium OV room. The room was located in the beach tower 4th floor which is the one not currently being remodeled. The view was obstructed due to the palm tree tops being right in the way! Also, the issues with the room were as follows: the carpet was buckled in several places, I tripped several times, the dresser would not stay closed and we had to prop it back with cardboard boxes under the front legs, there were white liquid stains on the nightstand, the oversized chair left ALOT of lint on our dark clothing. We did mention these issues with front desk, his response was lack-luster and unsympathetic however he did offer to "address these issues". Also, double beds should be changed to queens, two adult cannot sleep comfortably in double beds. The resort itself is beautiful and very well maintained.

Room Tip: 4th floor is right at the line of sight of the tops of most of the palm trees so although we had a p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SunshnLvr
Vermont
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Maui for our honeymoon and it was amazing. It truly felt like a resort. The bed was so comfortable. We had a garden view which was really pretty. We has a view of the palm trees and waterfall. It was nice to leave our door open and hear the waterfall and birds. The pools were amazing and we never had a problem finding chairs, and the water slide was a ton of fun. The restaurants at this hotel were great and is very close to other restaurants at Whalers Village. Construction was loud from 9-5, but the rooms will be even nicer when this is done. We would love to come back and stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington Township, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Maui is an awesome place to visit! We came to the Westin Kaanapali for our honeymoon after being in Kauai for a week.

CONS: Knowing that we were staying at a Westin, we assumed the resort would have been really nice. We assumed wrong. The room was quite small with a moldy shower. They are also doing construction, which we didn't know about before arriving. (If we knew we would have stayed at the other Westin down the street or even the Sheraton). There is VERY limited parking due to all of the construction. They offer free valet, but who really wants to tip every time you want to drive your car somewhere? The pools are filled with kids (except for the adult pool), and being able to lie under an umbrella is nearly impossible unless you are out there at 6am. Breakfast is extremely expensive at the hotel, and the servers aren't very friendly.

PROS: People at the front desk are extremely friendly and helpful. The pools are AWESOME. There is even a pool for adults only with a bar (the bartenders are very nice). The resort is on the beach with tons of activities to sign up for. We did the standup paddle boarding right outside the hotel and it was a fun/funny experience for my hubby and me. Whalers Village, filled with shops, is located right next to the resort which is very convenient, along with various restaurants overlooking Maui's breathtaking ocean/mountain views. The sunset on the beach and even from the rooms is amazing.

After the construction is finished (Spring 2014), my hubby and I might give this place a second chance. I heard the rooms that are finished (on the 11th floor) are amazing.

This is definitely a family resort, if that is what you are looking for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
Royal Lahaina Resort
Royal Lahaina Resort
#19 of 32 in Lahaina
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui

Been to The Westin Maui Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!