“Great location!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Spring, Texas
“Great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This was about our 5th stay at the Westin Maui - it is in a great location to walk to restaurants and shopping. Just be careful you are not in the side of the hotel that faces the parking lot/mall and if you are - make sure you ask for a higher floor. Otherwise 6 am wake up calls from garbage trucks, etc. The pool is great. Ambience is nice and relaxing. We enjoy staying there and will be back! They also have a new restaurant called Topix that has some nice chairs sitting on the grass and offer live music. The perfect setting to watch the sunset with a nice cocktail in hand.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jackie P
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Mahalo for your review and continued loyalty. We are delighted you enjoyed our new dining experiences including the inviting seating arrangements. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

To make a long story short, my a d my family book a 9 day trip to Hawaii in including hotel & airfare for a out $7000.00
Flight with the Hawaiian airline was great. However this location is a families worst nightmare. After eating a bad meal in their restaurant, my kid got sick in the middle of night and threw up o. The carpet. After cleaning the mess ourselves, we called the housekeeping for some help. They came and sprayed
something on the area and promised to clean it up the next day when we were out of the room. We came back to the room at around 4:00 pm just to find the room exactly the same with the addition on horrible and foul odor. Call the front desk and was told they will be right up to take care of it. 2 1/2 hours later they showed up and they said it was going to take a while to clean up and few more hours for it to dry and suggested that we ask the front room to move us to a different room. At the front desk they refused to help us in any way and responded by saying " we didn't come throw up in your room". When I insisted on them helping us in any way that they could the young kid behind the counter smirked and said "we be glad to check you out".
Please don't take the chance of something like this happen g to you by coming to this place. Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank zadi02
Words cannot express our regret for failing to instinctively attend to your needs. Rest assured that we will thoroughly investigate the areas of concern and take necessary measures to prevent similar recurrences. Please accept our sincere apologies and we look forward to an opportunity to make your return visit truly memorable. Malama pono (take care).
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Westin is a great spot. The Hotel is definitely showing its age but still has beautiful grounds. The open lobby and the water features make a great place to just relax. The pools are perfect, with one reserved for adults only. The location next to Whaler's Village is hard to beat. The heavenly beds at the Westin are just that, they are maybe the best beds I have eer experienced at a hotel.

We stayed for a week. We are not particularly demanding travelers and have no complaints at all. The self parking can get crowded but we always found space. I will say that the rudeness of people constantly amazes me. The self parking spaces are tight but adequate. I constantly saw people who simply could not park in one space and took up two. That is just rude and inconsiderate. If self parking is full the valet service is free, so parking is never a rel issue.

Food in Hawaii is expensive and the Westin prices are in line with other locations. The breakfast buffet at nearly $30.00 per person is a lot of money unless you really want a lot of food. As a tip: skip the Westin buffet and walk over to Maui fish and Past in the Whaler's Village. It is only a couple of hundred yards, the breakfast is great, the restaurant not crowded and less than half the cost of the Westin. Plus the view overlooking the water is much better than the poolside view at the Westin.

The concierge staff was great and very helpful. We found their recommendations to be spot on. They will ask if you want to do a property tour, but quickly take no for an answer.

Overall we had a great trip.

Room Tip: We opted for a mountain view room and it was fine. If you want an ocean view try to get on the 4th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BertL249
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
We are delighted you enjoyed the resort’s award-winning pool experiences and Westin-appointed touches such as the iconic Heavenly bed. Our breakfast buffet is certainly plentiful for guests who seek a hearty start but competitively priced a-la carte choices are offered as well for those who prefer a light and energizing breakfast. We hope you will experience these and more new dining selections when you return. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week--I am a Starwood Gold Member and on check in the desk(only 2 desk clerks on duty--had to wait almost 40 minutes)the agent made a big deal out of the fact that I had been given a poor room--no ocean view--overlooking the parking lot--even though I had a confirmation email from the manager telling me I was booked in an upgraded ocean front room. She changed to room--to the Ocean Tower--with a sideways view of the ocean and a front facing view of yet another parking lot. The rooms are in serious need of a redo! couch is filthy--carpets shabby--towels threadbare! The Westin robe hanging in my bathroom was disgusting--looked like it had been used for cleaning the floor. Every night--we'd wake up to the sound of a bar in the Whalers Village dumping bottles in the trash outside our window. The AC did not cool the room. The hot water went out twice. Mold in bathtub which is small and creepy with a creepy shower curtain. And my favorite thing about the Westin is the bed--this one was not heavenly--not even comfortable!
Pool was nice--especially the adult one! But what is it with giving you one towel per person and having to check the towel in and out? Who would want to steal those towels? They were awful! And the Westin cabana people coming around to sell Aloe lotion? Breakfast was fine--lovely waiter named Nassy. Bar was OK...Best thing was that there was the Whalers Village right next door to walk to for meals...recommend the Hula Grill Beach Bar for light fare.
You know you usually think that if you book a Westin--you are pretty much guaranteed of a solid experience with a pretty nice room. This one does not live up to that standard. I traveled on business this week and stayed at the Westin San Antonio--I had a lovely room, great linens and a terrific bed--just what I expected from the Westin in Maui. Maybe Westin is going for shabby chic in their hotels! It just wasn't heavenly at all!

Room Tip: Request something away from the parking lots--lots of luck on that!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank katewalsh
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
We are disappointed that your recent Maui visit did not meet your expectations. We have shared your comments with the respective leaders and look forward to delighting you with our distinctive enhancements when you next visit us. Malama pono (take care)
San Diego, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,404 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We love Maui and have been here several times. I have two young kids and they already have been to Hawaii a few times and really love it. We rented a condo on the beach on the South side but our kids really love the pool and slide at the Westin so I decided to book 2 days at this hotel to enjoy the pool there.

The location doesn't get much better than the Westin because you're a few buildings down from Whaler's Village Mall which is really great. They have several casual restaurants in the bottom level of the mall which is great if you have young kids.

We ordered lunch at the hotel out by the pool and they don't have many selections for kids. Plus the food isn't all that great. We started just making the short walk over to Whaler's Village and would order food to go for the kids. We went to Nikki's pizza several times and their pizza is actually pretty good! Also, they can make pasta. Our kids like buttered spaghetti with parmesan and they would make them fresh. It was great!

We arrived early in the morning and check-in isn't until later in the afternoon but we just used the pool all day and played on the beach. They called my cellphone when our room was ready so it worked perfectly. DEFINITELY do that. We saw people just sitting in the lobby waiting for their rooms and I asked the receptionist and she she can't understand people that do that instead of enjoying the pool.

They changed a few things since the last time we were at this property. For pool towels, they changed the system where they give you towel cards so you have to turn them in and get a towel for each card you get. This system works out great.

The water slide there is GREAT for kids. They just have to be over 42 inches and be able to swim on their own. You can't use floats. Our 3 year old and 5 year old LOVED it and never got tired of going down it over and over for 2 days. They also have a mini kids slide but it wasn't too good and very small. But it was fun if you went down on an air mattress or float with air.

The staff is all super friendly in the hotel, pool area, slide area, etc.

The room was comfortable and almost nothing beats a Heavenly Bed with pillows. Very comfortable. The shower was great with strong water pressure. They give you a small refrigerator to put stuff you buy which is great. If you do Maui correctly, you will barely spend any time in your room anyway! We just use it to sleep and shower and that's it. Our room was clean unlike some other negative complaints.

You have a $30 (+ tax) per day resort fee which covers daily self parking as well as wireless internet access. I'm a Platinum SPG member so they gave me the option of some award points or the faster Internet access. I went with the faster Internet access and it was plenty fast.

On our last day we wanted to enjoy the pool all day. With my Platinum SPG they offered me a 2 PM late check-out. (I requested 4 PM like I usually get in SPG properties) but they said they really needed the room. Instead, they offered another option. They said that I could check out of my room and they would store my bags and then at the end of the day (5 PM) I could use their Hospitality Suite for my family to shower and change. It was PERFECT because we were going to eat dinner there in Lahaina before making the drive back to the South side of the Island.

Especially helpful was Larisa with Guest Services. She always had a smile on her face and was passing out shell necklaces to new arriving guests. Many of the other guest receptionists seemed almost beaten down from the long lines and didn't seem too enthused. Not unfriendly but just looked tired and could work on their smiles. They could take a clue from Larisa that was always super great both days that we dealt with her.

The hotel is really comfortable and the location is unbeatable. I highly recommend this property, especially if you have young kids. This hotel is great for young kids.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank saintba
We are thrilled that the resort’s varied offerings provided ideal options for you to enjoy and maximize your vacation getaway. Thank you for your kind compliments of Larisa which we would be happy to share with her and the management team. We look forward to creating yet another memorable experience on your next family retreat. Aloha!
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

We spent 12 days at the Westin Maui and overall the stay was great. We would definitly stay there again and as a wheelchair user the hotel is well equipped however still open for improvement, here some high/low-lights:

++very positiv: the BAM Team especially Jennifer and BJ made our stay at the pool area fantastic, although the pool-lift was broken at our arrival, they arranged a portable pool-lift within a day giving us immediate access to the pool. They checked upon us regularly during the day and we felt very well looked after, thanks guys!

++ very positiv: lovely athmosphere at the hotel, great outside area, quiet and clean

+ positiv: Concierge "Matt" is of great value, he gave us alot of great ideas on what to do and restaurants to eat at, great job Matt!

+ positiv: located right next to Whalers Village with shops and restaurants

- negativ: no self-laundry facilities

- negativ: the hotel beds are extremely soft meaning those with back problems are in for a rough night. You can request for a bed-board for under the mattress which does help a little, but from my experience other hotels have different varieties of mattresses which at the Westin unfortunatley where not available

- negativ:
wheelchair users, only ADA rooms are available in the expensive categorie of the hotel....

-- negativ:
Upon checkin only 2 people where at reception and several people wanted to checkin, having us wait in line approx. 40min to get our room keys.

Room Tip: Rooms the higher the better, rooms towards hotel pool are most likely the quietest, rooms beach towe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dea1981
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at Westin Maui Resort And Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Mahalo for sharing your experiences and detailed perspectives. We sincerely appreciate your kind words and would be happy to pass them along. Your valuable feedback is important to us as we continuously improve our offerings including ADA-friendly options. Until your next Maui trip, stay well and warmest Aloha from all of us.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed the Westin. The pools are amazingly relaxing, and even though there were a lot of people staying there, we always found a spot to sit. The beach is right there, and the staff was incredibly helpful, courteous, and gave us great suggestions. I especially liked the Ono Bar and Grill restaurant in the hotel and their ahi tuna sandwich.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We are thrilled you enjoyed your island getaway and would be happy to share your praises with our associates. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future. Warmest Aloha!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lahaina
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,826 reviews
Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa
Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas

Been to Westin Maui Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!