“Travel Agent Review of Hotel”

The Westin Maui Resort & Spa
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Lahaina
Reviewed June 18, 2013

One word - luxury

I recently stayed at this hotel with my family kids ages are 2. 7, 9 and they had the best holiday they said to me whilst we were sitting by the amazing pool at the resort.
When we arrived at Kapalua Airport we were picked up by the hotel shuttle and taken to the hotel 10 min drive and the driver was very informative and friendly.
WOW walked into the lobby and could see a waterfall and pink flamingos was a sight the kids were very excited at this stage. The checkin staff were helpful and they were extremely busy an still got greeted with a shell necklace.
We stayed in a ocean view room and the best choice the view from the room was priceless Kaanapali beach is the most beautiful places in the world. When the kids saw the pool area they couldnt wait to get their swimwear on to use the awesome water slide and didnt reslly see them after that. Kids club was something they were not really wanting to do but they did half a day and at the end of it were very happy and had fun making things.
Hotel is close to Whalers Village for food and shopping and the resort offers free shuttle to the other resorts Sheraton and Westin Villas. They also offer shuttle free of charge to Lahaina do go and check out famous Front Street. Must do road of HANA was breath taking but took 12 hours so if you dont like cars for long periods of time and windy roads then do a helicopter ride over it.
The Hotel was the best hotel of have stayed at and more me after staying here been at the Westin in Nusa Dua Bali i will stay at Westin Hotels in the future......
Thanks for e memorable holiday Westin

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank escapetravel3192
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Mahalo for your review. We are confident many readers find your experiences helpful towards planning their island getaway and resort stay. We look forward to exceeding your expectations again when you return. Malama pono (take care)

Write a ReviewReviews (5,320)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Westin Maui Resort for three nights, June 2-5, 2013. This was our second visit to this property, the first being in May 2012. We are in our late-40s and we did not bring children. (Our stay was just a brief one again since our favorite condo down in Wailea would not be available until June 5th -- we have vacationed in Wailea each June for nine years now and we thought we'd give northwest Maui a brief visit until being able to get into our condo.)

Overview: The Westin Maui is a Starwood-owned hotel located in the Kaanapali resort area in northwest Maui, approximately 5-7 minutes north of Lahaina. The hotel is approximately 40 minutes from the Kahului airport. Although renting a car at the airport is not a necessity, the absence of a rental car will, in general, hamper one’s Maui experience.

Price/Value: We paid $149/night for a “garden” room by using some of our Starwood points. While this rate was obviously not excessive for hotels of this quality or in comparison to other area hotels, the rate we would have paid without using our points would have been something around $350/night.

It should also be noted that the room we received was a one-step upgrade because we are also Starwood Gold members. The base-level room is (literally) a parking lot view facing east.

Our west-facing garden room had a pleasant view – a green area, waterfall, small pond. (No ocean view.) An ocean-view room likely would have been around $600/night.

A word about parking: valet parking is $19/day but self-parking is free. However, the self-parking lot size cannot meet the volume of guests with cars (again, something of a relic from the 1980s when fewer travelers had the luxury of renting a car). The Westin has decided on at once both a tragic and comical solution: make the parking spaces smaller! And when I mean smaller, I mean, in many cases, golf cart sized spaces. This has lead to people understandably being frustrated into doing one of two things: a.) squeezing their cars in anyway, making it impossible for some luckless souls to open their car doors; or b.) taking up two spaces. (For the record, I backed in our rental car, making my passenger door and the next car's passenger door unable to open -- better than my passenger door and the next car's *driver* door. Oh well.)

Accommodations: The Westin Maui has very lovely grounds, clean and maintained. However the rooms leave something to be desired. While clean, they are badly in need of updating. Indeed, I have the sense that there has never been any substantive room renovation since the resort was constructed in the 1980s.

Space in our room was tightly constrained, with a half-armoir/half-chest-of-drawers discombobulation constricting egress in and out. There was a desk, but due to space constraints the tv was placed on the wall above it -- so imagine someone laying in bed watching tv, immediately above the head of another person at the desk working on their laptop.

The bath area did have a mini-fridge, which was a nice feature. Single sink, tub/shower combo (with a cheap plastic/vinyl curtain).

Service: The staff seemed uniformly polite, especially the front desk girls. The pool towel staff seemed, on the other hand, a bit sketchy. Twice when obtaining or returning towels the towel kid tried to sell me Maui Jim sunglasses. There are a few of these kiosks around the property and evidently there is some management push to sell them. Another way of squeezing a few shekels from the guests I suppose. But it was tacky and annoying. I just wanted some towels.

About the towels: evidently the accountants and actuaries at Starwood corporate have noted that Starwood's bottom line has become negatively affected by towel thieves because the property strictly regulates towel use. Upon check-in guests receive "towel cards," one per guest. When obtains a towel at the pool, one leaves a card. When dropping off a towel after use, one receives back a card. At check-out, the same number of towel cards must be returned or you will be charged $25 per card. While it is true that the front desk will happily give you more cards, the number of cards that on has is in fact duly noted.

(I'm not sure who is to blame for this: the degenerates who steal towels or the corporate accountants who think this lack-of-trust system makes the resort more attractive for guests.)

Restaurants: Because we spent time sightseeing and down in Lahaina, the only meal we had at the property was room service one evening. In our view, it just isn't worth it: breakfast, lunch, and dinner can be found in countless places nearby, for a better price, better quality, and *far* better ambiance. Incidentally, the room service menu is quite limited, with several of the limited offerings being "healthy" foods (greens, low calorie, etc.), as opposed to being "enjoyable" foods.

Amenities: There is a very large and kid-friendly pool, complete with two slides, basketball hoop, and waterfall/grotto. We had no problem getting good location pool lounges and umbrella but that was because we went down at 8:00am and "saved" a couple lounges. I would hate to have tried to get lounge chairs at noon. A grille is available with poolside service.

The hotel is, of course, beachfront, so the property provides lounges for the beach -- however, these cannot be "saved" because Hawaii state law forbids people from staking a "claim" to public beaches. If you leave your lounges & towels, resort staff will collect them after a short while.

Clientele: The overwhelming number of guests were young families with, in some cases, very young children and babies. Indeed, I commented to my wife that it appeared one day that we were the oldest couple in sight. We also noticed a few honeymooners and some middle-aged couples like ourselves but the resort is very "youthful," with even apparently twentysomethings staying on their own. The resort is not technically a “party” atmosphere like Vegas or something, but on the other hand I saw a number of young people carrying cases of beer to their rooms.

Area attractions: It is needless to describe all of the area’s beach- and sun-related attractions but I would like to note that Lahaina has numerous restaurants and shops in its entirely walkable "old-town" area.

I would also note that in Lahaina there are convenience stores, fast-food restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, and other places to obtain quick/cheap meals and sundries. We made it a point to stock up on soda, juice, and munchies for the room.

Summary: If we end up accumulating enough Starwood points, I suppose we will vacation again at the Maui Westin because using our points at the Westin makes for a relatively inexpensive and centralized stay in a decent area of the island. And I don't think that a Westin could really ever be a "poor" resort. And, further: it's Maui. You can't have a bad time here can you? But the idea of me ever paying $300++/night at the Westin Maui is, well, about as realistic as fitting my car into one of their self-park spaces.

Hope this helps! Feel free to email with questions.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Profnickd
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

While we appreciate the time and effort you had taken to outline details pertaining to your stay, we do wish you had provided us the opportunity to create a memorable experience for you while you were still at the resort. Being in Hawaii, the spirit of Aloha is fully embraced by our associates who are fully dedicated in delivering the brand promise. We look forward to your return and would be happy to further correspond at yourmauiexperience@westin.com. Me ke aloha pumehana (with warmest aloha).

Reviewed June 16, 2013

First off, when we arrived at the hotel, the view was amazing and that was just in the main entrance. I had asked for a floor with an ocean view which I did get but I just wish it was a few floors higher. We were right over a waterfall located in the lobby and if we had a higher floor, we would have been able to sleep with just the screen door but instead we had to keep all doors closed at night, due to the noise. The view was amazing and our room was very nice. We did have a stinky refrigerator because the previous people who stayed in the room had left Chinese food in it and I guess the cleaning people did not check that. So we had to have that cleaned straight away. The beds could have been a bit more comfortable but otherwise it was a great room. There is only one restaurant that was good and pretty reasonable on pice but not too many choices to choose from. The next plaza over called Whaler's Village had a few more eateries that were on the cheaper side so we would eat lunches there. The pools were great and very clean and for the most part, the staff there were pretty friendly! Good Experince!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your wonderful compliments! Please know your valuable feedback was shared with our team for improvements. Aloha!

Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

First and foremost: Do not pay attention to the negative reviews. I read reviews for months leading up to my honeymoon and was quite concerned after reading some horror stories. I did not find any substantiation for anything negative.

Everything was perfect for us! It appears the construction is just about finished, but I'm not sure as we stayed in the Beach Tower. We upgraded from the Premium Deluxe Ocean View (overlooking pool with side view of ocean ) to a Luxury Ocean Front room (790). Worth every single penny!

The room was gorgeous and very well maintained. The cleaning staff did a great job and we were very well taken care of. If you can swing it, the upgrade to luxury ocean front is the way to go. I contacted the Westin via email a few months before our trip and asked about upgrade options and was offered $50/night upgrade to Luxury Ocean Front. I jumped on it and didn't regret it at all.

The grounds are amazing and everywhere we went we ran into happy, helpful staff members. Every single interaction was great. I have no idea where some of these other reviews come from...treat others as you want to be treated and you'll be treated like royalty.

The Westin's beach was by far the best. Great sand, no waves, and easy swimming. The pools EASILY rival or best every other hotel on the beach. They are incredible.

The Westin is incredible in every aspect and worth every penny.

My only tip: pay for an ocean view...it's worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Patriot5280

We are delighted your honeymoon was all that you dreamed of. Thank you for your kind words and we certainly agree that our associates are dedicated towards making each guest’s experience a memorable one. We look forward to your return and celebrating many more happy years to come. Warmest Aloha.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We arrived on May 27th on the late side and were possibly given the worst room on the property. My husband is a platinum member and we were expecting some type of upgrade as we typically receive at all Starwood properties. Where to begin:

1) The property is so old and worn down, the dirty wicker furniture says it all as you walk through the front door.

2) The wait for any type of service is long. Check in only has two staff members and each time we walked by, the line was at least 10 guest deep.

3) The grounds are well kept but the water slide and kiddie pools definitely give it a Disney World vibe...if you are hoping for an adult vacation, this isn't it.

4) The main building is a dump. Upon exiting the elevator, we were greeted with stained carpet, dark, unlit hallways and garbage outside of just about every door. We were placed on the 7th floor with an "ocean view" If we had climbed a ladder and strained our neck over the palm trees, we may have seen a glimpse of blue but by no means was the ocean anywhere in sight.

5) The room was beyond disgusting. The carpet was stained, the cheap bed lines were not changed, my husband and I both had numerous bed bug bites. The bathroom had rust stains around the tub and sink and was so filthy, we showered with our shoes on.

As soon as we entered the room, we decided that if we were not able to move to a suite in the preferred south beach tower (where Starwood members are housed) we would move to the Ritz or the Four Seasons so our entire Maui experience would not be horrendous.

My husband spoke with management the next morning and we were moved to room 791 by 5:00PM the next day. The room was definitely an improvement with a wrap around ocean view, separate living room, bedroom and large bathroom. However, the room was still dated with various rips in the carpet, holes in the furniture and rust stains in the bathroom. The excellent view helped ease our pain but we will never stay at this run down establishment again. After this experience, we are seriously considering changing hotel loyalty programs as platinum means absolutely nothing.

Finally, note that most of the guests staying at this hotel are probably use to staying at condos and doing a lot of their own cooking, etc. The number of people walking through the property with bags of grocery, laundry, etc., definitely made this feel like a camp ground versus hotel. Avoid at all cost or enter at your own risk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
WestinMauiAmbassador, Manager at The Westin Maui Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. To enable us to further investigate the areas of concern you had highlighted, kindly email us yourmauiexpereince@westin.com. Being a full-service resort, this beachfront property provides guests easy access to varied restaurant offerings, whether on-property or at the neighboring shopping village and at sister resorts mere minutes away. Similarly, laundry services are available as this property is not designed condo-style with kitchen and washing machines. We are truly sorry to learn that your stay was not as expected and look forward to connecting with you to make your return visit all that you dreamed of. Aloha and stay well.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

We had Good size room. There about 4 swimming pool and one exclusively for adult. We have kids in our group and they all loved the pools and rides. There is a mall with food court and ABC store right next door in case you want to have breakfast and other meals throughout the day. Overall very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jdtravel23

We are thrilled you enjoyed your family island vacation. Mahalo for your review! We look forward to your return to paradise.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

We took this trip for our 10 year anniversary and The Westin Maui far exceeded our expectations. We arrived after a grueling day of flights from St. Louis and were spent. We were also a bit frustrated that there was quite a line to check in when we arrived. We had reserved an oceanfront room and Megumi gave us two options - a room by the elevators or a room with not such a decent ocean view. We voiced our frustration in the choices and she quickly spoke to her boss and found us a room that was updated and had a fantastic view. I'm not sure if we got lucky, but I was so grateful she made it happen. The room was absolutely perfect. Westin beds are amazing and I slept like I hadn't in years - probably because I didn't have one of my kids waking me up!

My husband and I both got massages (separately) and Carrie gave me the best massage of my entire life. I get 2 or 3 a year, so I may not be an expert, but I was amazed. It wasn't cheap by any means (nothing on Maui seems to be), but I got what I paid for. My husband was thrilled with his massage too.

We talked to Sheryl (sp?), the concierge, and she was so personable and helpful. Her recommendations were spot on for restaurants, shopping, things to do, plays to go and places to avoid. We were set up with an excursion with Trilogy through the American Express Travel group there and it was perfect as well.

The pools were fun and were never overcrowded. Service for lunch/drinks by the pool was quick. My husband took advantage of the slide and said it was a good one. :)

We had trouble using the Wifi and needed it do FaceTime with our kids back home. We were sent through to the IT people and it was quickly resolved.

Everyone we met was kind and friendly including valets and cleaning staff. The grounds were kept up so well - there were constantly gardeners, pool cleaners, bird cage cleaners (!) out and about. The hotel building does look it's age, but they certainly take care of the property. We received champagne and strawberries from friends back home and even the room service coordinator seemed so excited for us. We were overwhelmed with kindness.

On the last day we took a stroll all the way up and down the beach to check out the other hotels. The Westin is centrally located and close to Whalers Village where we did shopping and ate several times (Hula Grill, Leilani's) and it really seemed to be kept up so much better than the other properties. The Westin's pools and relatively calm beach (some hotel's "beaches" were a joke) surpassed any others.

We could not have been happier with our stay here. The stars seemed to align for us on this trip and it was heaven on earth. Thank you Westin Maui!

Room Tip: Book an oceanfront room to ensure you get a good one. Don't stay close to an elevator. They are...